How to get those 75 wins.

whitecat31
whitecat31 Posts: 579 Critical Contributor

So you are a medium level player. You really want those command points, but as soon as you get to about 600 points, after your 8 to 12 wins plus the seed teams, because of MMR (match making rating) you are looking at tougher teams.   How are you going to get those.

Step 1. Save one of those seed teams.

Step 2. Only hit people on your other two nodes.

Step 3. When you can't find anybody else load up a slightly weaker team with the loaner PVP character in the middle and hit that seed team.  This will be your defensive team, and hopefully it stinks.  We call this a dropcake.

Step 4. Prepare to be hit, and hit often.

Step 5. After a few hours of getting your face planted in the sand, retaliate against all the teams you can beat and hope MPQ does not have one of those data pushes, that clears all the retaliations in your queue. 

Step 6. Find a weak team in your nodes, and do another drop cake.  Rinse and repeat.

Comments

• broll
    broll Posts: 4,732 Chairperson of the Boards
    Your saved seed team will get overwritten by retals at some point unless your clearing them as they come in, won't they?
  • whitecat31
    whitecat31 Posts: 579 Critical Contributor

broll said:
    Your saved seed team will get overwritten by retals at some point unless your clearing them as they come in, won't they?

Correct, which is why you only save one seed team.

• TPF Alexis
    TPF Alexis Posts: 3,826 Chairperson of the Boards
    My approach last time was using teams that are strong on offense, but weak on defense (e.g. Strange/Cag3, Grocket/Medusa), and hoping to find someone willing to trade retals with me. Worked out pretty well getting up to 40 wins, I'll see how it goes trying for 75 at some point here.

Don't forget that you can also drop points without worry if you're only looking for wins. You can manipulate MMR to some extent that way.

Also, my experience from the previous win-based trials was that there were a lot more lower-tier players involved, and a lot more unshielded players, so the pool of reasonable targets was much larger.
  • Richyyy
    Richyyy Posts: 305 Mover and Shaker
    TPF Alexis said:

Don't forget that you can also drop points without worry if you're only looking for wins. You can manipulate MMR to some extent that way.
    I definitely remember doing this back when they were running wins-based rewards before. Got too high and only had really strong teams available to queue, so basically took a throwaway team (and the loaner) into a whole bunch of fights, made one move and then backed out (you may not even need to make the one move, I don't remember). It's tedious, but the losses drop your score back down and improve your liklihood of finding someone straightforward to fight.
  • Dormammu
    Dormammu Posts: 3,531 Chairperson of the Boards
    The return of tanking... 
  • broll
    broll Posts: 4,732 Chairperson of the Boards

broll said:

Correct, which is why you only save one seed team.

You didn't answer my question.  How do you prevent that team from being overridden?  Isn't that gone after the first 3 retals?  Unless you are clearing retals as they come in.
  • Dormammu
    Dormammu Posts: 3,531 Chairperson of the Boards
    @broll In theory you're using that last seed team before the retals come in.
  • TheOneAndOldi
    TheOneAndOldi Posts: 2 Just Dropped In
    Sorry, I'm quite new to the game...

What are those 75 wins you're talking about? Is there any counter in PVP? Isn't the reward fully points based and rather depending on what enemies you win against instead of how many wins you get? 
  • TPF Alexis
    TPF Alexis Posts: 3,826 Chairperson of the Boards
    Sorry, I'm quite new to the game...

What are those 75 wins you're talking about? Is there any counter in PVP? Isn't the reward fully points based and rather depending on what enemies you win against instead of how many wins you get? 
    That's changing with the next PvP Season. See the post in the Events board for the details.
  • TheOneAndOldi
    TheOneAndOldi Posts: 2 Just Dropped In
    Ah, thanks.