A Journey Through History, MTGPQ edition

2»

Comments

• Gabrosin
    Gabrosin Posts: 259 Mover and Shaker
    ArielSira said:
    (Does anyone have screenshots of old cards or walkers before they were nerfed (jace1, baral, carriage etc?)
    Pretty sure I've got a screenshot of Gilded Lotus around here somewhere... and maybe even a Bloodtallow Candle!
  • FindingHeart8
    FindingHeart8 Posts: 2,730 Chairperson of the Boards
    Don't forget Omniscience and Runaway Carriage, which I lost significantly more matches to than Deploy.

Like at least 10x the amount for each, no exaggeration.
  • Mburn7
    Mburn7 Posts: 3,427 Chairperson of the Boards
    Don't forget Omniscience and Runaway Carriage, which I lost significantly more matches to than Deploy.

I don't think I've ever actually lost to an Omni.  Or maybe just once.  The AI is really bad a using it right.

Carriage, on the other hand, cost me many matches back in the day.  Dear lord so many matches.
  • FindingHeart8
    Mburn7 said:

I don't think I've ever actually lost to an Omni.  Or maybe just once.  The AI is really bad a using it right.

Carriage, on the other hand, cost me many matches back in the day.  Dear lord so many matches.
    I'm envious of your experience lol.  Omniscience (when Kaladesh was in standard and could be fetched) cost me matches daily, as Runaway Carriage did back in the day.

I've not heard many stories of people losing to Deploy, though I'm sure there are some.  I personally have..maybe..lost 1 or 2 matches to Deploy throughout my entire experience in this game.
    I suspect it's because Deploy didn't work so well with the AI, as the high cost creatures it would fetch were (if in-hand) given higher priority and were cast before Deploy.  The handful of times I've seen the AI cast Deploy, it was one of the last cards cast from their hand, and was always mid-late game.
  • Mburn7
    Mburn7 said:

I'm envious of your experience lol.  Omniscience (when Kaladesh was in standard and could be fetched) cost me matches daily, as Runaway Carriage did back in the day.

I've not heard many stories of people losing to Deploy, though I'm sure there are some.  I personally have..maybe..lost 1 or 2 matches to Deploy throughout my entire experience in this game.
    I suspect it's because Deploy didn't work so well with the AI, as the high cost creatures it would fetch were (if in-hand) given higher priority and were cast before Deploy.  The handful of times I've seen the AI cast Deploy, it was one of the last cards cast from their hand, and was always mid-late game.
    Its funny, I lose to Deploy all the time, although nowadays usually because of a HUF
  • FindingHeart8
    Mburn7 said:
    Mburn7 said:

Its funny, I lose to Deploy all the time, although nowadays usually because of a HUF
    for real?  What's it like??  I'm actually super curious because I own the cards and use the combos but haven't ever really had to taste my own medicine.

wait...it's not my deck your facing over and over again is it? :o

• Mburn7
    Mburn7 said:
    Mburn7 said:

for real?  What's it like??  I'm actually super curious because I own the cards and use the combos but haven't ever really had to taste my own medicine.

Its actually quite funny.  One second the board is empty.  Then the AI gets a nutty cascade, and then you're looking at 3 50/50 or whatever creatures.  Bonus if one of them is a Piggy (one is almost always an Emrakul).

Sometimes I have the perfect storm of removal and luck to pull out a win.  Usually I just quit.  Its exactly as miserable as I would expect it to be.
  • FindingHeart8
    Mburn7 said:
    Mburn7 said:
    Mburn7 said:

Its actually quite funny.  One second the board is empty.  Then the AI gets a nutty cascade, and then you're looking at 3 50/50 or whatever creatures.  Bonus if one of them is a Piggy (one is almost always an Emrakul).

Sometimes I have the perfect storm of removal and luck to pull out a win.  Usually I just quit.  Its exactly as miserable as I would expect it to be.
    ouch, that sounds painful :/

I empathize with you, the Omniscience combo also puts 50/50+'s out on the board, except you have to wait anywhere from 5-15 minutes for the combo to finish.  I usually would just quit as soon as the combo started
  • Mburn7
    Come on, there have to be SOME old farts who want to tell an epic story from back in the day.

Please?
  • GrizzoMtGPQ
    GrizzoMtGPQ Posts: 776 Critical Contributor
    I remember when one of the most coveted cards was Shrine of the Forsaken Gods. Oh how I lusted after that extra 3 mana per turn. It seems quaint now.
  • Kinesia
    Kinesia Posts: 1,621 Chairperson of the Boards
    Mburn7 said:
    Come on, there have to be SOME old farts who want to tell an epic story from back in the day.

Please?

I had all my cards spread out on the floor in different piles for sorting while I made decks.
    I had a fireplace in my room with a lovely mantel that I was burning candles on.

My Shivan Dragon ended up covered in wax...
  • Mburn7
    Kinesia said:
    Mburn7 said:

Please?

I had all my cards spread out on the floor in different piles for sorting while I made decks.
    I had a fireplace in my room with a lovely mantel that I was burning candles on.

My Shivan Dragon ended up covered in wax...
    Not the type of story I was looking for, but ouch.  Sorry for your loss
  • Kinesia
    Kinesia Posts: 1,621 Chairperson of the Boards
    Grin. I couldn't think of a story that was what you wanted, the problem with being so old is that I can't remember much from back then!

I'm not worried about the loss, I've never been precious about my cards. I'd never even heard of sleeves till at least ten years after that. I am way more annoyed that I think I lost my favourite Golgari deck somewhere!

But things I can remember are walking down the street, away from the game shop, opening my first Antiquities booster... But I have no idea what was in it!

I remember the feel of the room my friend taught me to play in for the first time and that I was playing Black... But nothing else.

Gaps and tiny sparkles of light.

• HarryMason
    HarryMason Posts: 136 Tile Toppler
    I'm like a semi old fart . I hit silver right aroun SOI coming out . I remember seeing the splash to buy Olivia. I was so green, I couldn't wrap my head around how good she was because I was still stuck on paper and that version of her is hot garbage . Then, I got rekt by her . Then she did it again. I got angry . I started talking tall tinykitty every time I saw her. Then EMN came out. She hot friends . The pigliviarichkul posse was formed and us peasants ran and his in fear. Eye rolls were used at an alarming rate. I harbored mad animosity for "that guy". 

Some time later I was playing a match when I looked at my hand . I saw the pigliviarichkul posse looking back at me . What happened? I had changed. I became 'that guy'.  I wept . But I would like to state ,for the record , that I didn't sell out, son! I bought in! 
  • Froggy
    Froggy Posts: 511 Critical Contributor
    I recall entering the game as a new young apprentice right as Innistrad launched. I had not played paper for almost 20 years. I found the game in an advertising banner.

With nothing but basic cards and PWs. I finally got my hands on Liliana, The Last Hope and that same week pulled Relentless Dead (my first mythic), Diregraf Colosus and Haunted Cloak. With the tiny collection I had, I worked my way and after having my behind handed to me by Acacyn and many of her minons, I was finally able to beat her. It was a proud moment of victory.

Innistrad catapulted me into this game and brought me to my first coalition for some months, usually just barely making top 100. I finally made my way to my current coalition and found great friends and enjoyable people to play with - taking our main team into top 10 and our second team from some 400, into top 100 (soon top 50).

But having been here and seen this game evolve, though the good, the bad and the ugly, there was still always friends and a home in the forums and in my coalition.

Amonkhet was great and bad. I saw my first 6 masterpieces from this set in almost no time and pulled the most outrageous cards from packs (almost being banished by my own team as I had the devil’s luck). But as time passed, we used it to advance and push on to engage other players and help each other through harder times.
  • FindingHeart8
    Kinesia said:
    Grin. I couldn't think of a story that was what you wanted, the problem with being so old is that I can't remember much from back then!

I'm not worried about the loss, I've never been precious about my cards. I'd never even heard of sleeves till at least ten years after that. I am way more annoyed that I think I lost my favourite Golgari deck somewhere!

But things I can remember are walking down the street, away from the game shop, opening my first Antiquities booster... But I have no idea what was in it!

I remember the feel of the room my friend taught me to play in for the first time and that I was playing Black... But nothing else.

Gaps and tiny sparkles of light.

if it helps, you can buy bright, shiny new Shivan Dragons for like 5 cents a card.  It's not like you accidentally damaged a Library of Alexandria ;)