2015 Player returning

2»

Comments

• Jarvind
    Jarvind Posts: 1,684 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited June 2018
    I'd never recommend coming back to a game like this after such a long break. 5*s are as difficult to get as they've ever been, and dilution in the 4* tier is now massive, even with the recent increase in 4* odds.

You're honestly probably better off just finding a new game where you don't have years of ground to cover. The only exception I'd make is if you happen to have a couple thousand CP saved up, then you could try to cover a decent batch of 5*s, either via Latest or one of the special stores they occasionally run where a couple Classics are available at Latest odds.
  • Subcore
    Subcore Posts: 9 Just Dropped In
    My shield ranking might also be a problem. As much as it hurts, I'm really thinking of selling OML and JC (only 2 high 5s). OML took me forever to put together while still not having it's 13 covers. But, doing that, I don't know if i will then get matched by 4 star teams since my Shield rank won't change. As mentioned, I currently cannot compete in any PVP past the gimme first handful of matches and I'm lucky if I get a single SHIELD win.
    I would just hate to sell those 2 characters (OML is my go to guy in PVE) and nothing changes, I'm still being matched with 480 plus teams.
    Creating a whole new character can't be an option because I have spent money on the game and that will sting. I can't see starting from scratch. There should be a ranking based on who you use and your whole team so if you're on hiatus you just fall in ranks.
    Dunno, enjoying the game again but trying to avoid the painful reality that this game is more for new players and those that never quit. Not made for those who want to catch up (like WoW).
  • Subcore
    Jarvind:
    Funny that you say years of ground to cover. I remember that when OML first came out, I got a bunch of covers pretty fast and then in a year span, I only got 1 more cover. I'm now thinking about that, "wow, i really don't want to spend a year to get a few covers for 1 hero". 
  • Twysta
    Twysta Posts: 1,597 Chairperson of the Boards
    Well if you're mostly doing PvE then I wouldn't sell your 5*'s as they FINALLY got rid of scaling!
    And it scales now based on which SCL level you join. The higher the level you join the higher the scaling goes.
    It might be a bit more of a problem in PvP, but if you aim for 400/500 per PvP you'll at least get something.
    What kind of teams are you seeing in PvP anyway? 
  • ThaRoadWarrior
    ThaRoadWarrior Posts: 9,125 Chairperson of the Boards
    Yeah, play the highest SCL in Story that you can comfortably support, and you should be getting resources as fast as anybody at that rate.
  • Jarvind
    edited June 2018
    As OJSP mentioned, your SHIELD rank doesn't affect your PVP matchups, only the strongest 3 characters on your roster. So selling your 5*s would solve that problem.

I will say that having personally sold some completed 5*s for different reasons, I would not recommend it - when you are finally ready to jump back in, you'll regret having thrown away that progress.

If you're set on sticking with it, PVE no longer scales with your roster, so that's your ticket to more CP and ISO to beef up your roster. Don't pull classics, as the dilution is ridiculous at this point; save up around 3-4k worth of CP (one LT is worth 25 CP) and try to champ a batch of Latests all in one go. You can set OML as your favorite 5* and hopefully finish him that way as well.

I maintain a guide on the 4* tier which you can see here, if you're curious as to which 4*s you should focus on in the meantime. Off the top of my head, the really awesome ones that will work well in PVE even without being boosted are:

America Chavez
    Carol Danvers
    Blade
    Peggy Carter (pair with IM40 for ezmode)
    Medusa
    Rogue
    Vulture
    Cloak & Dagger
    Rocket & Groot (pairing with another GOTG member is mandatory, 4* Gamora is generally the best option but 3* versions will work in the meantime if you don't have any 4*s available)

Just don't worry about PVP much for the moment. As you already observed, you will get ruthlessly stomped most of the time. You might try to see if you can make it to 575 for the CP - you should see the occasional team of unchamped 5s or boosted 4s that you can beat - but even that is a low priority.
  • Subcore
    I'm doing PVE since PVP is not even an option with my teams. Lowest character I think was 486 PVP  Didn't really look at characters since all seemed to be new ones such as Gambit 5 star, Thanos, Black Bolt and a few others. Not even knowing the powers of say Gambit, I highly doubt my team can take down a 50k health character. Only using my 3 skips to see if I get a winnable match. 

• Subcore
    Great post Jarvind.
    Amazing how helpful everyone has been. I really appreciate it. Guess patience is the key for now.
  • Subcore
    edited June 2018
    Question: if PVP is based on 3 strongest. I have 420 JG / OML and 405 SS which I never use. Next in line is 330 followed by a 299. Anyone think it might help selling SS? I really don't care much for him. Actually, I only use OML since his heals are money for me.
  • ThaRoadWarrior
    ThaRoadWarrior Posts: 9,125 Chairperson of the Boards
    I guess another item of note, after looking at your actual roster (which isn't anything like as bad as I thought it would be), is that X Force Wolverine feeds OML now, so if you set him as your 4* bonus hero, and then make sure you have Patch and Colossus on roster feeding him set as bonus, you could conceivably get yours from 289 to 300 for another Old Man Logan cover in a reasonable-ish amount of time. Then as previously mentioned you can set OML as your 5* bonus, though those are few and far between.  

• Jarvind
    Subcore said:
    Question: if PVP is based on 3 strongest. I have 420 JG / OML and 405 SS which I never use. Next in line is 330 followed by a 299. Anyone think it might help selling SS? I really don't care much for him. Actually, I only use OML since his heals are money for me.
    I still wouldn't suggest it. Classic 5*s are so hard to cover now that selling a nearly-completed one is essentially throwing away any chance to ever complete them, and Surfer is actually pretty good since his rework.

Additionally, with two characters at 420 your matchups would still be pretty tough - you'll still see a lot of 5* opponents, and OML and Phoenix are just not top-end competitors, so you'll still be in pretty much the same boat.