Update to Versus Reward Structure (6/20/18)

Brigby
Brigby ADMINISTRATORS Posts: 7,757 Site Admin
Hi Everyone,

We want Versus events to be fun, even if you’re not at the top of leaderboards, without making the competition at the top any less interesting for the players who love it.

The thing that’s most likely to turn players away from Versus Tournaments, especially those who aren’t super competitive, is losing progress toward rewards. A way we attempted to make this better in the past was with a different way of giving out progression rewards, based on how many matches you’ve won instead of how many points you have. The trouble with that system though was that different players take a very, very different number of wins to hit a particular score threshold - without making the progression rewards completely trivial for everyone to earn, it had to take longer for some players to earn rewards than they were used to. Some players loved wins-based progression and others hated it.

We want to make both groups happy. So we’re combining the two systems in a way that we’re hoping gives you the best of both worlds.

Starting with the upcoming off-season, all progression rewards in Versus Tournaments have a points goal and a cumulative wins goal. Once you have acquired that many points OR that many wins, you’ll get the reward.

For those of you that played in earlier tests of the Versus wins system, the number of wins you need for each reward tier is similar to the last test we ran. (We’ve added a few rewards to progression since then, so the numbers are slightly different.) Unlike the last run of the test, we’ve kept the Command Points reward in progression.

We’ll also be using this system in the S.H.I.E.L.D. Simulator that runs with each season. We won’t be using it for the season’s progression rewards though - we want those to reward consistent competition over the course of the season, and that doesn’t work if you can grind out a zillion wins to get all the rewards in just one event. No changes to lightning round rewards either - we want those to stay just as fast and cut-throat.

Details:
  • Each progression reward has a points goal and a wins goal.
  • Once you reach either goal, you get the reward.
  • No changes have been made to the rewards available in progression, and the points goals are the same as they were.
  • Thresholds for the top progression rewards:
    • 40 wins or 900 points for the 16th reward
    • 50 wins or 1,000 points for the 17th reward
    • 75 wins or 1,200 points for the 18th reward
Known Issues:
  • When viewing rewards in the Player Awards screen, placement rewards are displayed first instead of second.

Comments

• FartyJoe
    FartyJoe Posts: 4 Just Dropped In
    mbaren said:
    Listen, I'm sure someone will come along and tell us all how terrible this is, but in the meantime I think this is pretty great, and will definitely help people like me who are getting smacked down by 5*s because they were stupid enough to level one 5* too high.  So I appreciate it.
    Terrible? Who could possibly say that. This is a wonderful change and I'm looking forward to it very much
  • Erunner1201
    Erunner1201 Posts: 32 Just Dropped In
    Sounds like a step in the right direction.  Thank you for the update!
  • Basepuzzler
    Basepuzzler Posts: 180 Tile Toppler
    No complaints at all!  Nice change for everyone.
  • justsing
    justsing Posts: 507 Critical Contributor
    This is wonderful. Thank you for listening to and incorporating players’ feedback!
  • Arix90
    Arix90 Posts: 244 Tile Toppler
    Awesome perfectsolution
  • Daredevil217
    Daredevil217 Posts: 3,893 Chairperson of the Boards
    Again... thanks!

Now if you could give us the hybrid solution of a 5-cover bank that some players prefer (me) and the 3:- exchange that others prefer, we’d be beyond ecstatic!
  • crackninja
    crackninja Posts: 444 Mover and Shaker
    Thank you!!!
  • alaeth
    alaeth Posts: 446 Mover and Shaker
    edited June 2018
    mbaren said:
    Listen, I'm sure someone will come along and tell us all how terrible this is, but in the meantime I think this is pretty great, and will definitely help people like me who are getting smacked down by 5*s because they were stupid enough to level one 5* too high.  So I appreciate it.
    I think you're wrong.
    The issue (most) of us had with the last attempt was fixed this time...
    Brigby said:
    Unlike the last run of the test, we’ve kept the Command Points reward in progression.
  • Wonko33
    Wonko33 Posts: 985 Critical Contributor
    I rarely bother going up to 900 , only if the 4* is needed - This will help me get a few more 4* a week without messing with people who enjoy competing for top spot, pretty good IMO
  • sirwookieechris
    sirwookieechris Posts: 131 Tile Toppler
    Woot! I’m one of those players who, due to his roster and that I join pvp late, can only find matches in the 20-30 range sometimes. So counting up matches it took to reach 900, the wins based progression wasn’t far off. Also weeks when I didn’t have two good boosted 4* could make reaching 900 miserable. By the time you finish one match you have been beaten three times.

Thanks devs!

• BigSoftieFF
    BigSoftieFF Posts: 454 Mover and Shaker
    Nothing to say but BRAVO!!
  • adamdivine
    adamdivine Posts: 136 Tile Toppler
    Have to give credit. This is actually a sensible fix
  • Punter1
    Punter1 Posts: 718 Critical Contributor

So simply - if you were already hitting 1200 in prog, no change for you.

If you weren't and getting frustrated by being hit when at 899pts, this means your wins progress continues to help you get rewards. 

Cool

• The rockett
    The rockett Posts: 2,016 Chairperson of the Boards
    This is great!!!   I love that they are able to do this hybrid system.  Awesome job with this solution.  
  • Jaedenkaal
    Jaedenkaal Posts: 3,357 Chairperson of the Boards
    Tentatively hopeful.

Holding out for the catch.

:)