Oh, hey, look - Hulkling

GrimSkald
GrimSkald Posts: 2,489 Chairperson of the Boards

Just saw the new vault for supports, and then saw the new Support.

Do we really need a new support for each new character?  I guess this means we won't see him as an actual character...

Tagged:

Comments

• broll
    broll Posts: 4,732 Chairperson of the Boards
    Yeah this is getting old...  On top of them being overwhelmingly underwhelming they are rushing to get them as diluted as everything else in the game.  I only have one thing to say about their strategy:
  • IceIX
    IceIX ADMINISTRATORS Posts: 4,312 Site Admin
    GrimSkald said:

Do we really need a new support for each new character?  I guess this means we won't see him as an actual character...

A support of a character does not mean that the character cannot exist on their own. It just means that Hulkling (Young Avengers) would not be released in particular. It also goes without saying that any released character that has a support version could not equip themselves...
  • AlexNapalm
    AlexNapalm Posts: 122 Tile Toppler
    Yup. Would've preferred  Hulkling as a character rather than as a support I will most likely never get. 
  • FartyJoe
    FartyJoe Posts: 4 Just Dropped In
    This pretty much sums up my feelings about it

Vaizdo rezultatas pagal uklaus stop its already dead
  • Tensuun
    Tensuun Posts: 98 Match Maker
    edited June 2018
    IceIX said:
    GrimSkald said:

A support of a character does not mean that the character cannot exist on their own. It just means that Hulkling (Young Avengers) would not be released in particular. It also goes without saying that any released character that has a support version could not equip themselves...
    Could they be equipped by a character who fights alongside that character? For example, say some future Marvel Comics event does inspire the release of a playable version of Hulklin. If I have Hulkling (Young Avengers) equipped to Wiccan (Billy Kaplan), can I then form a team that contains both Wiccan (Billy Kaplan) and Hulkling (World War Hulkling), or do I have to first un-equip my Hulkling (Young Avengers) support?

Forcing me to unequip sounds like a really complicated set of rules to cover a really weird edge case.

Not forcing me to unequip seems to break the spirit of the rule that forbids different versions of the same character fighting together. After all, my team now contains two copies of Hulkling, even though Hulkling is not directly equipped to Hulkling.

Of course, the rules for this are already pretty confusing; my Web Shooters say they give a bonus when I make them "equip to: Spider-Man", but in fact they only work when they're equipped to some version of Peter Parker; Miles Morales gets no such bonus, even though his mag is called Spider-Man and his subtitle is Spider-Man.
  • IceIX
    edited June 2018
    Tensuun said:
    IceIX said:
    Could they be equipped by a character who fights alongside that character? For example, say some future Marvel Comics event does inspire the release of a playable version of Hulklin. If I have Hulkling (Young Avengers) equipped to Wiccan (Billy Kaplan), can I then form a team that contains both Wiccan (Billy Kaplan) and Hulkling (World War Hulkling), or do I have to first un-equip my Hulkling (Young Avengers) support?

Forcing me to unequip sounds like a really complicated set of rules to cover a really weird edge case.

Not forcing me to unequip seems to break the spirit of the rule that forbids different versions of the same character fighting together. After all, my team now contains two copies of Hulkling, even though Hulkling is not directly equipped to Hulkling.

Of course, the rules for this are already pretty confusing; my Web Shooters say they give a bonus when I make them "equip to: Spider-Man", but in fact they only work when they're equipped to some version of Peter Parker; Miles Morales gets no such bonus, even though his mag is called Spider-Man and his subtitle is Spider-Man.

You'd end up with a character Hulkling and a support Hulkling. It'd be one of those weird edge cases like how Angel and Archangel can pal around but OML and Wolverine not so much.

Edit: Just a note to cover changes in the future so people don't come back to this in the eventuality that it does change: This is the way it would work with the current system. I'm not a fortune teller and can't read the future!
  • KC_Hammer
    KC_Hammer Posts: 84 Match Maker
    I like supports fine. They don't have a big impact on my gameplay, but I like the concept. I hope they keep making more.
  • abmoraz
    abmoraz Posts: 712 Critical Contributor
    KC_Hammer said:
    I like supports fine. They don't have a big impact on my gameplay, but I like the concept. I hope they keep making more.

• Dragon_Nexus
    Dragon_Nexus Posts: 3,701 Chairperson of the Boards
    I agree with the sentiment that supports look to be kinda fun.

But the inability to get them and the drip feed of red iso sapped all of the fun out of them. I still haven't really bothered with them. I equipped a few on a few characters, got bored and then gave up.

I still aim for 1000 points in PvP though for the red ISO...because I'm sure eventually they'll be worth going for and I'll be glad for all the red ISO I managed to scrounge together. But...for now they're just a bunch of pictures in a tab I never look at.
  • Punisher5784
    Punisher5784 Posts: 3,836 Chairperson of the Boards
    What the heck is a Hulkling?!  I learn so much about today's comics playing MPQ
  • Tensuun
    Tensuun Posts: 98 Match Maker
    IIRC at one point Loki claimed that Hulkling shouldn't exist, and he was actually created by Wiccan's reality-warping powers (Wiccan, in turn, was created by Scarlet Witch, who was apparently created by the High Evolutionary because Magneto can't be in Disney movies). Naturally, this news upset Hulkling, which was rather the point; this was all part of an effort to manipulate Wiccan into using his Demiurge powers to make Loki look more like Tom Hiddleston. But, as usual, it's unclear whether Loki was actually lying about any of this.
  • gmtosca
    gmtosca Posts: 278 Mover and Shaker
    edited June 2018
    Poor Teddy.  His boyfriend is a 4* but he's only a Support :|

p.s.  I get it now.  Hulkling is a Supportive boyfriend lol
  • wymtime
    wymtime Posts: 3,757 Chairperson of the Boards
    IceIX said:
    GrimSkald said:

Ice first thanks for jumping on the forums and talking to the players.
    for grim’s post part of the issues we hav with supports is there is only a limited way to get supports, extremely limited resources to level supports, and a lot of the new supports feel like they are designated for one specific character and not to be used for anyone.  Now I know you can place a support on any character we choose but the way supports are now they “FEEL” like they are meant for a specific character.
    from my perspective how are you looking to make supports more accessible to get and have the ability to level?
  • Dormammu
    Dormammu Posts: 3,531 Chairperson of the Boards
    IceIX said:
     It also goes without saying that any released character that has a support version could not equip themselves...
    Sure they can, the developers have already broken this rule. The support is called 'Spider Sense'. Look at the 3-star version of Peter Parker and tell me a support called 'Spider Sense' makes a lick of sense.
  • IceIX
    wymtime said:
    IceIX said:
    GrimSkald said:

Ice first thanks for jumping on the forums and talking to the players.
    for grim’s post part of the issues we hav with supports is there is only a limited way to get supports, extremely limited resources to level supports, and a lot of the new supports feel like they are designated for one specific character and not to be used for anyone.  Now I know you can place a support on any character we choose but the way supports are now they “FEEL” like they are meant for a specific character.
    from my perspective how are you looking to make supports more accessible to get and have the ability to level?
    We're definitely looking at that. Supports are often designed with one character in mind, but it doesn't mean that they *have* to be used on that character. Oftentimes, the buffs that work for one character will work well for another, you just don't get that bonus little extra thing. So it comes down to a perception issue in those cases. You also have to remember (which is hard sometimes) that Supports can be swapped out on a relatively short timer, so even if you have it on one character, it's not stuck there. Once you get used to swapping Supports around, the specific character bonuses turn into just that, bonuses, instead of being a kind of concrete "setting".