Common Forum Abbreviations

12346»

Comments

• Vhailorx
    Vhailorx Posts: 6,085 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited December 2016
    Suggestions for terms to be added to the guide:

Cupcake/Baker: These terms are becoming more common in PVP these days, so it seems appropriate to add them to the guide.

(to avoid confusion: a cupcake is a relatively weak defensive team set out by a player with a relatively highscore in PVP. It is intended to aid other players by providing easy, high-value matches. A baker is a player who prepares a cupcake; this is usually done by entering a match with a very weak team and then winning via powerful teamups like 3* deadpool Whales!)

Slice/time slice: Long overdue

(to avoid confusion: each regular PVP and PVE event is divided into five 'slices,' each of which has a different end time. Players select a slice when joining an event.)
  • BlackSheep101
    BlackSheep101 Posts: 2,025 Chairperson of the Boards
    darcdante wrote:
    I saw TBE used in a thread. What does that refer to?.
    TBE: The Big Enchilada - Second battle in the 3* line of Deadpool's Daily Quest (DDQ). Unlocked by beating Dat Required Character, which has a different essential 3* character each day, TBE is a 4 wave battle that awards one cover of the essential 3* character of the day.
  • BoyWonder1914
    BoyWonder1914 Posts: 884 Critical Contributor
    Finally figured out that "OML" means Old Man Logan. It had been frustrating me for quite some time lol.
    "GoT" also refers to 4-star Thor, for "Goddess of Thunder".
  • This is a wonderful list! I'm constantly explaining the abbreviations to newer members...now I get to just link to this thread in our chat. Thanks to all of you who put effort into corralling this information!!
  • Lampo
    Lampo Posts: 121 Tile Toppler
    Vhailorx wrote:

Cupcake/Beker: These terms are becoming more common in PVP these days, so it seems appropriate to add them to the guide.

(to avoid confusion: a cupcake is a relatively weak defensive team set out by a player with a relatively highscore in PVP. It is intended to aid other players by providing easy, high-value matches. A baker is a player who prepares a cupcake; this is usually done by entering a match with a very weak team and then winning via powerful teamups like 3* deadpool Whales!)

(to avoid confusion: each regular PVP and PVE event is divided into five 'slices,' each of which has a different end time. Players select a slice when joining an event.)

Thanks for the cupcake explanation!
    But maybe I didn't understand: the logic behind it is that I play a match with a "bad" line-up, so that other players see my bad team, I lose, I put on a good team and I strike back the guys who defeated me (gaining more points than I lost)? icon_rolleyes.gif
  • Vhailorx
    Vhailorx Posts: 6,085 Chairperson of the Boards
    Lampo wrote:
    Vhailorx wrote:

Cupcake/Beker: These terms are becoming more common in PVP these days, so it seems appropriate to add them to the guide.

Thanks for the cupcake explanation!
    But maybe I didn't understand: the logic behind it is that I play a match with a "bad" line-up, so that other players see my bad team, I lose, I put on a good team and I strike back the guys who defeated me (gaining more points than I lost)? icon_rolleyes.gif

This discussion is mostly moot now, since some changes to the game in October make cupcakes much harder to bake.

But the general idea is that the baker's team will line up 2 matches, both as easy as possible. You beat the first match with a very weak team as described. This baking. You then announce via out-of-game coordination, that you have baked a cake. Then you play the second match as quickly as possible using your strongest team, and shield. THEN everyone eats your cupcake.

The end result of this strategy is that the baker loses very few points because they are shielded when most everyone eats their cake. And everyone who eats the cake gets cheap, easy points. The net result of the cupcake strategy was much higher scores in PVP, which allowed weaker rosters to climb higher (3* players could routinely score 1500+ if they knew what they were doing.

Nowadays, no one can really bake cupcakes. instead people grill steaks, which are usually a weak(ish) 5* at level 450, and a 3* character + the featured. Such a steak is almost useless to 3* players, but can help 5* and very strong 4* players climb. The principle remains the same. This is why PVP above 1k is now almost entirely the province of 5* players.
  • resistor001
    resistor001 Posts: 8 Just Dropped In
    What does the term Charlie's Angels mean? I'm assuming it's a team with ProfX in it. Is that all or are there other elements that constitute 'Charlie's Angels'?
  • granne
    granne Posts: 852 Critical Contributor
    Scarlet Witch and Grey-suit Black Widow are the other members of Charlie's Angels.
  • resistor001
    resistor001 Posts: 8 Just Dropped In
    Ah, thank you!
  • DarthDeVo
    DarthDeVo Posts: 2,176 Chairperson of the Boards
    granne said:
    Scarlet Witch and Grey-suit Black Widow are the other members of Charlie's Angels.
     Switch's CD creates purple cascades, triggering Chuck's blue. The purple can be used three ways: Make Professor X invisible so he can buff special tiles, have Switch use her AoE and stun, or have Widow make green, fueling her AoE and causing more cascades and triggering Chuck's blue again. 
  • skittledaddy
    skittledaddy Posts: 969 Critical Contributor
    Was hoping to find a thorough explanation here, but no luck...
    Can someone explain the (now-defunct) term "vaulting"?
    thanks!
  • TPF Alexis
    TPF Alexis Posts: 3,826 Chairperson of the Boards
    thanks!
    Vaulting was when certain characters were only available in Vaults or as event rewards, not in tokens. It was an attempt to deal with the number of characters in a given tier growing so much that it was really overwhelming for newer players to get any of them fully covered, and even for established players to get the new releases without also picking up tons of less-desired covers.
  • Quebbster
    Quebbster Posts: 8,070 Chairperson of the Boards
    thanks!
    Vaulting was when certain characters were only available in Vaults or as event rewards, not in tokens. It was an attempt to deal with the number of characters in a given tier growing so much that it was really overwhelming for newer players to get any of them fully covered, and even for established players to get the new releases without also picking up tons of less-desired covers.

Before then, it refered to certain character being unavailable in tokens period for a certain amount of time. It was a stopgap measure introduced to address dilution, but it didn't really work out.
  • ThaRoadWarrior
    ThaRoadWarrior Posts: 9,125 Chairperson of the Boards
    I've been seeing "proc" used a bunch lately, and I'm not sure what that expands out to - Procures maybe?
  • ThaRoadWarrior
    ThaRoadWarrior Posts: 9,125 Chairperson of the Boards
    Huh. short for "Procedure," used to indicate that a special event has occurred. Similar to "trigger." 

Well. I don't care for that one lol; Thanks for the link though, it's been bugging me. I felt like context clues pointed me to "trigger," but I couldn't for the life of me figure out the derivation of the term itself.
  • Jaedenkaal
    Jaedenkaal Posts: 3,357 Chairperson of the Boards
    Programmed Random OCcurance is the source of the term, I believe.
  • hothie
    hothie Posts: 210 Tile Toppler
    Bumping this. Anyone want to add more to it?