Taking out Apocalypse

Dormammu
Dormammu Posts: 3,531 Chairperson of the Boards
I just wanted everyone to know that my alliance has already made it to round 2 of the current boss event! We are quite possibly the first to do so, but if not we are definitely among the first ten thousand or so to make it that far!

Okay, okay... seriously now. Who ya got against Apoc this time around? I'm thinking with 4clops, teen jean, and switch all boosted this should be a total cakewalk for us 4-star players. They're my normal go-to against Apocalypse even when they're not boosted.

Comments

• DarqFeonix
    DarqFeonix Posts: 130 Tile Toppler
    I've been in 5* land for a month or two now, so I'm riding 5Bit and BSSM (webshooters Support for Crit+0.4) with America Chavez.  So far, second term pops a Crit, game over.

Before 5*, I always found C4ke to be the best against 'Pocky (appropriate).  His Blue feeding Red usually made the horsemen ignorable, at least for first 4 or 5 rounds
  • Quebbster
    Quebbster Posts: 8,070 Chairperson of the Boards
    I've been in 5* land for a month or two now, so I'm riding 5Bit and BSSM (webshooters Support for Crit+0.4) with America Chavez.  So far, second term pops a Crit, game over.

Before 5*, I always found C4ke to be the best against 'Pocky (appropriate).  His Blue feeding Red usually made the horsemen ignorable, at least for first 4 or 5 rounds
    His yellow is also a nice Famine counter. Teen Jean is an excellent partner, her purple can counter both Famine and Death.
  • BlackBoltRocks
    BlackBoltRocks Posts: 1,159 Chairperson of the Boards
    I was wondering who on earth C4ke was. "You mean we have a Cake character in the game?"
  • AlexNapalm
    AlexNapalm Posts: 122 Tile Toppler
    I've been going with Teen Jean, Switch and C4rol. Get purple so Jean can take out Pocky's special tiles and get yellow so Carol can pop Switch's countdown timer if you need more purple. 
  • Dormammu
    Dormammu Posts: 3,531 Chairperson of the Boards
    In the later rounds (6 & 7) I like to have enough AP saved up to go Jean purple --> Cyclops blue --> Cyclops red, though Jean's purple can go any time since one cast of it is enough to eliminate Apoc's regeneration. Switch is just there to be a purple Duracel.

In the early rounds any one of those on their own is enough to just 1-hit and done.
  • TPF Alexis
    TPF Alexis Posts: 3,826 Chairperson of the Boards
    I'll have to change to something more serious in a few rounds, but right now I'm running SWitch, D3adpool, and some chump who's low enough level that they don't make the strongest colour be something besides purple. At the levels I have, up until something like 11K health or so, one Little Off the Top brings him in range for a single Whale to finish him off, and that image amuses me enough that I'm going to keep rolling with it until his health gets too high.
  • Jarvis_Jackrabbit
    Jarvis_Jackrabbit Posts: 78 Match Maker
    edited June 2018
    Teams used through the first five rounds with no trouble:
    Riri, Mordo, IM40
    Vulture, Rogue, C&D
    Charlie's Angels

The last time this event ran, G4mora's black insta-kill worked surprisingly well (and relatively quickly) in later rounds when teamed with Spid3y and 2ullseye.
  • iron-n-wine
    iron-n-wine Posts: 495 Mover and Shaker
    Used Vulture. C&D and Switch in the first couple of rounds. Will have a look at replacing Switch with Rogue.
  • Pr0spect0r
    Pr0spect0r Posts: 291 Mover and Shaker
    Vulture, America, xfw

And side note 7 xmen vs apocalypse tokens 7 2 stars I **** love tokens.
  • jamesh
    jamesh Posts: 1,600 Chairperson of the Boards
    Vulture + Cloak and Dagger + someone to set the strongest colour to blue or green has worked well for me in the past.
  • Steel_Colt
    Steel_Colt Posts: 277 Mover and Shaker
    I'm using IM40, Riri and Gwenpool. 
    IM40 feeds Gwenpool and Riri, with enough blue to take out Famine (Blue is strongest in my case).
    Gwen can destroy Apock's attack tiles with code 237 and do big damage with her gun. Riri can also do big damage with blue feeding into red. All it takes is two yellow matches and a bit of luck with not getting the Recharge CD's matched away. 
  • Steel_Colt
    Steel_Colt Posts: 277 Mover and Shaker
    edited June 2018
    I was also playing with the idea of taking a high health character into play, with Ghost Rider and a random third. Then let one of the death tiles take out the high health character and blasting Apock away with Penance stare. I might try that in round 7 or 8, see how that goes.
  • AlexNapalm
    AlexNapalm Posts: 122 Tile Toppler
    Added a 4* lvl 95 Chimichanga support to Teen Jean for the 24% chance of getting 2 more purple AP whenever I match purple which has helped accelerate the fight. From that alone I can confidently say that supports are a 10/10 masterpiece of an addition to the game. :wink:
  • HoundofShadow
    HoundofShadow Posts: 8,004 Chairperson of the Boards
    IM40 plus
    1) Patch + Magneto (Patch's Green followed by Magneto's Red + (cascade) + Magneto's blue
    2) 3* Hulk + She-Hulk ( I like watching the death countdown tiles going down to the bottom with each destruction of tiles)

I'm using Apocalypse as a training ground to try out different teams to deal with countdown tiles. 

• Kahmon
    Kahmon Posts: 625 Critical Contributor
    Using the obvious team that the op is, but tossed a whopping rank 2 level 1 blackbird on 4clops.

Jean owns this, switch helps her, and scott was just what I chose of the other boosted chars. Also, having him makes the teams strongest color red which keeps Apoc from slowing Jean down.
  • Heartbreaksoup
    Heartbreaksoup Posts: 352 Mover and Shaker
    I was also playing with the idea of taking a high health character into play, with Ghost Rider and a random third. Then let one of the death tiles take out the high health character and blasting Apock away with Penance stare. I might try that in round 7 or 8, see how that goes.
    Penance Stare is my go-to against Apocalypse or Galactus.  I usually play Ghost Rider as 5/4/4, but on these events, I change him to 4/4/5 to get that 200% damage.

That said... I swear on Round 8, my ability to use math has fallen apart, because I fired it too early or something on him and he survived it.  I felt like the guy who caught the kickoff in the end zone, walked to the one, and took a knee.
  • skittledaddy
    skittledaddy Posts: 968 Critical Contributor
    1 - Riri is my star. She's always good against Bosses because of her Red. 
    2 - Vulture to battery and Green, if I need to.
    3 - 5* Daredevil (with only 1cover, Pink) is my tank. Pink helps a little to wipe out fists, but his biggest role on this team is to shift my "highest color" to a completely worthless Yellow.
    - Fire a couple Riri Reds or 1 Red and a combo of her or Vultures Blue/Greens. 

This is may not work come Round 7, however. We never get meaningful time in Round 8, so that is no concern. 
  • PuceMoose
    PuceMoose Posts: 1,445 Chairperson of the Boards
    I have been using Wasp (respecced to 5/3/5), 3Fist, and Scarlet Witch. Wasp is doing 10k for 7 black, and Fisty fueled by the witch helps get her that black and fast. Save up until I have 14 black AP and the tile that reduces damage to Epoxy has been shattered, and then, double tap! Err, double sting, and that's all she wrote.
  • Jarvis_Jackrabbit
    Jarvis_Jackrabbit Posts: 78 Match Maker
    I have loads of Deadpool points saved up and am doing quick clears in round 8 using 3*DP with Switch and Xavier for purple generation before dropping all the whales.
  • St_Bernadus
    St_Bernadus Posts: 587 Critical Contributor
    Penance Stare is my go-to against Apocalypse or Galactus.  I usually play Ghost Rider as 5/4/4, but on these events, I change him to 4/4/5 to get that 200% damage.

That said... I swear on Round 8, my ability to use math has fallen apart, because I fired it too early or something on him and he survived it.  I felt like the guy who caught the kickoff in the end zone, walked to the one, and took a knee.
    Maybe, but I checked the damage horseman, he needed 2000 more damage to be destroyed so I fired Cloak's purple (2200 damage) but it only did 1400. I couldn't find anything that says Apocalypse has any damage reduction, but maybe I missed it.