X3 Last Stand Movie

cgrubb80
cgrubb80 Posts: 109 Tile Toppler
I watched the movie last night and the little clip at the end of the credits.  Is that Charles Xavier's brother that is in the bed?  The one who Charles transfer his conscience to?

Comments

• smkspy
    smkspy Posts: 2,024 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited June 2018
    I think it's just some random brain dead guy (whom just so happens to look like Xavier) that Charles was able to transfer his mind into before Jean in comic book fashion killed him.

For as much hate that X3 gets, it really felt like the closest comic book X-Men movie besides Apocalypse, but apparently those don't go over well.

Edit: Actually watched the first X-Men movie last night and it has not held up well. Wolverine getting knocked out with a tree bat by Sabretooth, Xavier's monologue about the what exactly the entire concept of the franchise is, and all the continuity errors that would later plague the franchise after First Class (Not the director's fault just comical in retrospect).

Makes me really wish they had never linked FC to the original trilogy with DoFP.

Edit: never mind I'm wrong...movie commentary is the best and worst at times.
  • JHawkInc
    JHawkInc Posts: 2,601 Chairperson of the Boards
    They mention him early in the film.

And then somewhere (deleted scene or commentary or something) they confirm he's Charle's twin brother.
  • Dormammu
    Dormammu Posts: 3,531 Chairperson of the Boards
    smkspy said:
     ...and all the continuity errors that would later plague the franchise after First Class

Some of the continuity problems in the X-movies are absolutely laughable, as though absolutely no one was paying attention to what was done before. Even Bryan Singer ignored events from his own films when he returned to the franchise.

All of it was made even more convoluted by the ending of Days of Future Past.

The best possible thing that could happen to this franchise is for the sale of Fox to Disney to go through and have Marvel Studios reboot the X-Men into the MCU.
  • smkspy
    edited June 2018
    Dormammu said:
    smkspy said:
     ...and all the continuity errors that would later plague the franchise after First Class

Some of the continuity problems in the X-movies are absolutely laughable, as though absolutely no one was paying attention to what was done before. Even Bryan Singer ignored events from his own films when he returned to the franchise.

All of it was made even more convoluted by the ending of Days of Future Past.

The best possible thing that could happen to this franchise is for the sale of Fox to Disney to go through and have Marvel Studios reboot the X-Men into the MCU.
    Yeah, you can forgive some (From Singer):

Xavier meeting Magneto when he was 17.
    Mystique trying to kill Xavier.
    Storm, Cyclops, and Jean being "among" his first students.
    Other movies compounding on this:

Nightcrawler meeting the X-Men for the first in X2.
    Cyclops being saved by Xavier in W:Origins.

But my worst nitpick is Jubilee being in Apocalypse when Singer knew he specifically used her in the first film.

I can get behind the next film being Phoenix 2.0 simply because continuity has been completely destroyed at this point and it'll actually be a Scott and Jean love story (I'm really hoping).

Edit: I will say that my biggest worry with introducing the X-Men into the MCU will cause the continuity problems that First Class and DoFP did for the Fox franchise.

Though would love a title The Uncanny X-Men featuring Cyclops, Jean, Iceman, Beast, Angel, and Storm as the core team... with no Wolverine lol.
  • Borstock
    Borstock Posts: 2,518 Chairperson of the Boards
    Couldn't care less about continuity, honestly. DofP was phenomenal. Last Stand wasn't horrendous, but it botched the Phoenix story, wasted Scott, and the choreography was bad because they rushed it to theaters. Also, Ratner was apparently a jerk to Ellen Page on set, so he can take a long walk off a shirt pier. 

They did, however, give us Kelsey Grammer as Beast, which was awesome. 
  • JHawkInc
    JHawkInc Posts: 2,601 Chairperson of the Boards
    DofP had solid action sequences, but the main story took the ensemble cast of the X-Men and reduced it to Prof X, Mystique, Magneto, and Wolverine. Again. They unceremoniously dumped the new characters introduced in First Class, and did nothing to develop new characters (in the future) into anything beyond vessels for special effects. If it might have worked if they'd stretched it into two movies, given them time to build up the dark future and those characters, and then with a longer "past" movie they could have added some more characters so the focus wasn't so much on the same ones we've seen before.

But as-is, DofP took an ensemble cast movie series and reduced it to a Transformers-esque popcorn film, all flash and no substance.
  • bbigler
    bbigler Posts: 2,115 Chairperson of the Boards
    I may be the only person who finds X3 Last Stand entertaining.  It's far from perfect, but I don't think it's bad.  Somewhere in the middle of acceptable entertainment.  The continuity errors of all the movies bother me the most, along with bad special effects and costuming/makeup in some of them.  I hated the prosthetic face of Beast in First Class, it  looked so fake I wanted to stop watching right there. 

This universe has a lot of potential if done properly.  Perhaps after we all burn out from the Avengers in 5 years, Marvel could reboot X-Men and do it right, with good individual stories along with a greater multi-movie story line about the Phoenix Saga.  Character development takes time, so don't introduce too many super-heroes in 1 movie.
  • rdvargas1
    rdvargas1 Posts: 77 Match Maker
    Just like Xmen Origins: Wolverine  and the Wolverine, Last Stand should just be forgotten about completely.  For me, Xmen, X2, First Class, DoFP, Logan, and Apocalypse are the only Xmen movies.  I'm keeping my fingers crossed that they will eventually end up in the MCU.  
  • Borstock
    Borstock Posts: 2,518 Chairperson of the Boards
    JHawkInc said:

But as-is, DofP took an ensemble cast movie series and reduced it to a Transformers-esque popcorn film, all flash and no substance.
    That's not even remotely what DofP is. The whole thing is an allegory for how the citizens of our country lost faith in their government during the Vietnam War. If all you got out of DofP was "popcorn film", I would encourage you to re-watch it. It is anything but a popcorn film.
  • smkspy
    edited June 2018
    To be fair, the waste of Scott in Last Stand was strickly to do with Singer leaving the franchise last minute for his Superman remake and Marsden following him. What we got with Cyclops in the movie, we were lucky to get and in context of the movie, showed how truly awful the Phoenix force affected Jean from the beginning.

Something I'm pretty sure Singer will just repeat in his version given the limitations of fitting such a complex narrative into a 2 hour movie.
  • ThaRoadWarrior
    ThaRoadWarrior Posts: 9,125 Chairperson of the Boards
    Sometimes I like to watch First Class instead of the Star Wars prequels and just say loudly to myself "anakin" any time somebody says "Eric" and "Obi-Wan" any time they say "Charles," that way I can see two people who are legit friends going on real adventures together until they have an ideology conflict and tragically go their separate ways, rather than the dad/bratty stepson relationship we got in the actual star wars prequels. 
  • Dormammu
    If Fox had any brains they would have featured the 5 original X-Men in the first trilogy with a proper Phoenix arc throughout, 'killing' Jean in the 2nd film and closing with Dark Phoenix in the 3rd film. In the 4th film the All-New X-Men (Storm, Wolvie, Colossus, etc) take over. Let them have their trilogy.

THEN bring the originals back as X-Factor after Reed Richards finds Jean at the bottom of the Hudson river in her coma-cocoon, which they totally could have done since Fox holds the rights to the Fantastic Four as well. Have X-Factor and the X-Men duke it out over their respective mutant principles, only to discover they're all still on the same side.

Of course, all of this would require someone at Fox having any sense.
  • Jaedenkaal
    Jaedenkaal Posts: 3,357 Chairperson of the Boards
    Borstock said:

They did, however, give us Kelsey Grammer as Beast, which was awesome. 
    Best part of that movie, in my opinion.
  • broll
    broll Posts: 4,732 Chairperson of the Boards
    Who cares, it was such a train wreck of a movie.  That's when I gave up on caring about Fox's handling of Marvel movies.  First Class brought me back slightly.  Deadpool 1 & 2 are the only truly good ones IMO.
  • broll
    broll Posts: 4,732 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited June 2018
    Who cares, it was such a train wreck of a movie.  That's when I gave up on caring about Fox's handling of Marvel movies.  First Class brought me back slightly.  Deadpool 1 & 2 are the only truly good ones IMO.
    rdvargas1 said:
    Just like Xmen Origins: Wolverine  and the Wolverine, Last Stand should just be forgotten about completely.  For me, Xmen, X2, First Class, DoFP, Logan, and Apocalypse are the only Xmen movies.  I'm keeping my fingers crossed that they will eventually end up in the MCU.  
    I actually kinda like The Wolverine, agree on the rest generally (thought I still haven't seen Apocalypse and X2 had a lot of issues also, not as bad as some of the others though).
  • smkspy
    broll said:
    I dunno, never saw it as a Trainwreck. The basic plot is pretty good, where it faulters is that the film couldn't decide whether it a movie about Dark Phoenix or a movie about a mutant cure. Though considering the circumstances, I thought they were able to accomplish a good compromise.

Don't get me wrong, there was a LOT that could have been better and more thought out, but just from the title alone I think Fox thought this would be the last OG cast X-Men film (at the time) and tried to write it as such. Hence why you have a lot of character focused moments on them (resolution of the pyro and Iceman conflict coming first to mind).
  • Quebbster
    Quebbster Posts: 8,070 Chairperson of the Boards
    I think Last Stand would be perfectly acceptable as a standalone X-men movie.
    However, X-men and X-men 2 were clearly building towards a Dar Phoenix story, and that got awkwardly shoehorned into the movie since there were dangling plot threads from precious movies that needed to be tied up.
    If Singer et al had been allowed to finish the trilogy as they intended (with a Dark Phoenix story) and they then released a separate move about the mutant cure I don't think anyone would have had much objection.
  • Quebbster
    Quebbster Posts: 8,070 Chairperson of the Boards
    Dormammu said:
    If Fox had any brains they would have featured the 5 original X-Men in the first trilogy with a proper Phoenix arc throughout, 'killing' Jean in the 2nd film and closing with Dark Phoenix in the 3rd film. In the 4th film the All-New X-Men (Storm, Wolvie, Colossus, etc) take over. Let them have their trilogy.

THEN bring the originals back as X-Factor after Reed Richards finds Jean at the bottom of the Hudson river in her coma-cocoon, which they totally could have done since Fox holds the rights to the Fantastic Four as well. Have X-Factor and the X-Men duke it out over their respective mutant principles, only to discover they're all still on the same side.

Superhero movies weren't really a thing when X-men was released. At that point the Batman franchise had been killed by Joel Schumacher. We did have the Spider-man movies, but a team movie was by no measure a certain money maker. It makes sense to focus on the most well known X-men - I don't think it's a coincidence all the X-men in the first movie are on the core team in X-men the Animated Series...
  • TPF Alexis
    TPF Alexis Posts: 3,826 Chairperson of the Boards
    I thought Last Stand was a decent flick, but it was such a downer that I really didn't like it. Similar story with DoFP, altho the stuff in the past in that one was more fun. But the original future timeline was just too depressing, and kinda wrecked my ability to enjoy the rest of the movie.
  • Dormammu
    Quebbster said:
    Dormammu said:

Superhero movies weren't really a thing when X-men was released. At that point the Batman franchise had been killed by Joel Schumacher. We did have the Spider-man movies, but a team movie was by no measure a certain money maker. It makes sense to focus on the most well known X-men - I don't think it's a coincidence all the X-men in the first movie are on the core team in X-men the Animated Series...
    You make a good point. And actually, X-Men preceded Spider-Man by two years. The only successful comic book movie prior was the Blade franchise. I get why Fox did what they did and Wolverine was probably a must-have for name recognition, but they could have built a much more cohesive universe through all these years.

Hindsight is 20/20 and everyone is trying to copy what Marvel has done. They're all failing, too, so maybe I expect too much from other studios.