I hate force updates

First21
First21 Posts: 87 Match Maker
Has this happened to you. You make a mad dash on the final hour of the sub event or the first hour of the sub event and then all of sudden you are force to update the game so you force to stop the dash to update the game. I hate that. Do you hate it to? Why do they force you to update the game right in the middle of your grind. I usually update way before the grind but I was so busy the whole day to do that. What do you think. Do hate force updates in the middle of your grind?

Comments

• Brigby
    Brigby ADMINISTRATORS Posts: 7,757 Site Admin
    Usually updates are forced eventually, in order to avoid compatibility issues with players having different versions of the game. I've worked in QA before, and we would frequently get crashes and all kinds of bugs, simply because one tester was on a different version of the game. This specific example refers more to a PVP environment, but I can picture that happening in a PVE environment as well.

Imagine a scenario where a new asset is introduced in a new update, but you're playing the game on an old version that doesn't have it. The game tries to call that specific game asset, can't find it in the version you're on, so it promptly crashes the game.

While I can certainly understand the frustration of having to update the game during a mad dash to the finish line, it's better than getting continuous bugs and crashes due to not updating.
  • First21
    Thanks for explain it. I usually update before the grind starts because I look into the forums to see if there are any major bugs in that update. Thanks 
  • LavaManLee
    LavaManLee Posts: 1,246 Chairperson of the Boards
    Brigby, I get it but how about doing the Force Updates at times that aren't inconvenient?  For example, maybe it could have been done during the Boss Event when the time crunch wasn't as imperative.  Just some food for thought.
  • Waddles_Pines
    Waddles_Pines Posts: 1,188 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited June 2018
    Brigby, I get it but how about doing the Force Updates at times that aren't inconvenient?  For example, maybe it could have been done during the Boss Event when the time crunch wasn't as imperative.  Just some food for thought.
    Ooops I have to learn how to read  :p , ignore below haha

I can't speak for the OP, but it sounds like the two daily update pushes we get.  They push out whatever minor game data/patches they can before the biweekly patch goes out.

Sometimes these updates force your app to reboot.  The problem with timing is that what's convenient for your time zone might not be convenient for others.  Also it sounds like the daily patches have to happen while D3 is in the office just in case they want to pull a patch at the last second.  
  • Punisher5784
    Punisher5784 Posts: 3,836 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited June 2018
    My force update is typically when I'm not near wi-fi.. little annoying but the force updates are the same time every time so I should know better
  • Moon Roach
    Moon Roach Posts: 2,863 Chairperson of the Boards

But, it's "great news"!

• Jarvind
    Jarvind Posts: 1,684 Chairperson of the Boards
    I find it annoying, but if they didn't do it we'd have to endure all kinds of moaning from people crashing or being unable to log in because they're too lazy to update and six versions behind.
  • Daiches
    Daiches Posts: 1,252 Chairperson of the Boards
    Forced update doesn't occur until 24h after release of the update (or later if Amazon since Amazon..).
    That's at least a 22h period in which you can update safely when you're not trying to clear or grind.
  • DarthDeVo
    DarthDeVo Posts: 2,176 Chairperson of the Boards
    I had mine happen during a PvP hop last week. I should have put up a shield, but pushed on for a second fight. Came out to a notification I'd been hit. It was positive hop still, but definitely annoying. 
  • professorplum9
    professorplum9 Posts: 133 Tile Toppler
    edited June 2018
    "The Force will be with you...always"
  • First21
    "The Force will be with you...always"
    Hahahaha that’s good
  • jredd
    jredd Posts: 1,387 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited June 2018
    Image may contain one or more people text and indoor