What is the minimum list of 4* Champions you need to always have at least 1 boosted champ in PVP?

ThaRoadWarrior
ThaRoadWarrior Posts: 9,125 Chairperson of the Boards
I've been curious if anyone has determined the critical path to always having at least 1 boosted champion 4* for PVP. Right now, I have 21 4* champions, with a few more at 13 covers waiting on iso and many more after that at 11-12 covers. I always struggle in PVP on weeks I don't have anybody champed who is boosted, and find myself working real hard to climb on the back of Vulture (5/5/3) /G4mora or Vulture (5/3/5)/Sandman depending on whether i need multi-stun or stun+aoe. I haven't looked through the historical data for who is boosted when, and I realize with the release schedule being what it is, there may not be a real answer to this question, but it got me thinking: is there a minimum list of 4*s that are worth bonus-heroing to champ to make things less painful? Even if the character is bottom-tier, I suspect there's a psychological skip-value to having at least 1 boosted 4* on roster in PVP.

Comments

• Quebbster
    Quebbster Posts: 8,070 Chairperson of the Boards
    There are currently 67 fourstar characters... so 63.
  • ThaRoadWarrior
    edited June 2018
    I guess what I'm really after is whether or not certain characters turn up boosted more frequently than others do, given that they are boosted in batches of 4 every week. For instance, i quickly just went through August 2017 through current, and pasted all the weekly boosted lists into a spreadsheet, and ctrl+F'd a few characters. Hulkbuster has been boosted 3 times in that span, but Agent Venom has been boosted 6 times. I was just trying to see if there was a known "essential 4* boosted list" out there that might help people tailor their efforts to be successful in PVP before they have everyone champed. It may be that everyone gets featured evenly, and obviously characters can't be featured before they get added to the game, so maybe this is a futile exercise.
  • jtsings
    jtsings Posts: 278 Mover and Shaker
    edited June 2018
       I've been looking over the boost list for a few months and the big problem in determining that is they mix it around a) when a new 4* is added b) when a special event is happening ie: Peggy Carter was pushed up as boosted character because of her comic release c) two characters have too good of a synergy together ie: R&G and Gamora.  However, if you do want to attempt to give yourself a better chance at having one each week it depends not necessarily on how many champs you have, but which ones you have champed.  Example, I have 23 champed 4*s but in a few weeks, if they follow in their usual pattern, I'll have 5 boosted characters for the week, which takes away from me having a boosted 4* for another week. 

Consequently, if you really wanted to secure, or at least maximize your chances of having one 4* boosted every week, you'd have to have every 3rd 4* champed in this order list  https://forums.d3go.com/discussion/43012/weekly-buffed-characters-updated-6-7-18/p1.  So pick which 4* you have champed, lets say Jean Grey, then the next champ you would want to target is Moon Knight, then Thoress, then Mockingbird, etc.  That would give you your best chance of having one champed each week; which coincidentally, unless I'm doing my math wrong, would be 23 Champs minimum.  However, the more champs you have lumped together on the boost list order, the more 4* champs you'll need to meet the boosted 4* every week requirement.

In reflection:  I just looked at my likelihood of accomplishing this feat of a least every 3rd 4* character champed on the list and I would need 9 more 4*s champed to do this.  So despite having the required minimum amount of 4* champed, it really depends more on how evenly you have champs from the boost list order and not how many you have total.
  • TPF Alexis
    TPF Alexis Posts: 3,826 Chairperson of the Boards
    Looking through the list, I'd need 5 more to cover it all, and I have 32 4* Champs. Cyclops, Kraven or Nova, Spider Woman, Rulk, and Iceman are the most likely to be champed anytime soon who would cover the gaps.

I have to say, tho, for some reason, it doesn't feel as bad this week with no boosted 4* champs as it did last week when I only had Fury. A week where I only had Kraven or Spider Woman would probably feel similar.
  • ThaRoadWarrior
    I usually have the most problems in PVPs where I have to use the loaner and don't have at least a champion 3* in the mix to keep Vulture going with black. I still have 11 3*s yet to champ based on the way I went about rostering every 4* (I sold off a bunch of my champion 3*s that i didn't feel were "essential" to make room for all the 4s in order to maximize my legendary pulls, and have been adding them back ever since), so whenever that coincides with a week when somebody isn't boosted, I'm happily 575 and out. Otherwise I can generally push to 900 with my team across the course of an event. 

I find that a pair of boosted wingmen seems like a psychological deterrent just due to the large health pools, even if there isn't a lot of synergy, but to climb it's often better for me to run a character who is unboosted if they add to the team. Like an unboosted guardian with a boosted 4ocket, or maybe a battery for a character who could use a little acceleration.
  • DAZ0273
    DAZ0273 Posts: 9,572 Chairperson of the Boards
    Interesting stuff.

Based on that boost list I have a 3 in a row consecutive run of non-boosted 4's between Jubilee and Red Hulk, so if I concentrated on champing from each group, I should be able to be covered. War Machine, FalCap, Ghost Rider, Fury and Venom are all max covered so I guess they are the logical choices although I was planning on using whatever to finish Vulture and RULK is still useful boosted as I have him at 209.

As an aside, it is interesting who you do and don't meet in terms of boosted lists. For example playing Deadpool's PvP yesterday I met boosted Red Hulk, Nick Fury and Ghost Rider teams but not a single Venom or Punisher one. I don't know if that is down to players not having them or bad synergy on a Deadpool team or what.
  • ThaRoadWarrior
    I was seeing Punisher/Fury teams about as often as Rulk/Ghost Rider and Rulk/Fury teams; it could have just been your slice/SCL
  • DAZ0273
    I was seeing Punisher/Fury teams about as often as Rulk/Ghost Rider and Rulk/Fury teams; it could have just been your slice/SCL
    Yeah, I'm sure you are right, the lack of BigPun teams seemed very weird and stood out.

No love for Venom though!
  • ThaRoadWarrior
    Punisher (Max) (2/0/0) and Venom (Eddie Brock) (0/2/1) are two of my worst-covered characters, but in general they seem pretty good when I come across them. Though I suppose I only see them boosted, and never in simulator, which may or may not tell me something useful about their relative quality. 
  • DAZ0273
    I think Punisher needs to be the star of the show and doesn't play with others nicely. Load up his black, get his green going and he is murdery.

Venom I have had max covered for a year and still not champed him so, uhm, I guess maybe I should get round to that to find out.