When to start leveling 3*?

Peaceful_Kaif
Peaceful_Kaif Posts: 5 Just Dropped In
I've been playing about 35 days and I now have 8 of my 2* dudes championed, lvl 96 to 110 or so.  I have 3* Captain America fully covered at 3-5-5 and Luke Cage and Iron Fist with 11 or 12 covers each, and Spidey at 5-2-1 (who I like because his yellow hits hard).  A bunch of others all have 5 or so covers, nobody else is ready to make the jump yet.

Should I be concentrating on just gathering ISO to level 3 of them all at once to 166, one at a time, put them to 110 or so for more balance...

Not sure the correct approach from here.

Thanks.

Comments

• TPF Alexis
    TPF Alexis Posts: 3,826 Chairperson of the Boards
    When I moved to 3*, I had a bunch that I kept more or less on pace with my highest level 2*. Then, when I had like 8 of them fully covered and the ISO to go for it, I champed them all and jumped on in.

I was rather more conservative with it than really necessary. Three that work together should be sufficient, and Cap/Fist/Cage is a pretty solid team, with rainbow coverage in good powers.

The one thing I might do in your place is put Strange as your only 3* Bonus Hero and then hold off on leveling past your 2* until he's pretty well covered (especially his yellow). While IM40 is more important in the long run, no one makes as big a difference in your PvE experience at this point than Strange. In most events, he'll probably let you play successfully an SCL higher than where you would play without him.
  • Dormammu
    Dormammu Posts: 3,531 Chairperson of the Boards
    If you play PvP real heavily I'd go the route TPF Alexis recommended and soft-cap your threes to stay in-line with your twos. You can do this for a while, but there's only so many 14th covers you can stomach losing because you don't have a fully-covered 3-star champed.

If you don't play PvP or just dabble, there's no reason to soft-cap anyone for PvE. Just start champing them.
  • Heartbreaksoup
    Heartbreaksoup Posts: 352 Mover and Shaker
    If you can afford the Iso, absolutely champ all three.

As for the others, I was really conservative my first 1-2 months and just added one level per day for each character.  I never had any disappointments, but I spent a lot of time on roster management.  It didn't affect my play too much, but I was also only playing in the Prologue and Story mode then, not Versus.
  • Peaceful_Kaif
    Peaceful_Kaif Posts: 5 Just Dropped In
    I like pvp.  It's not much fun right now because I play about 8 games and then run into immovable objects that I'm never going to beat with my current roster, but I guess that's always going to be the way in this game

I've mostly done pve in my first month here, but I'm dabbling now in pvp.  I'm always more of a pvp guy at heart in any game, so I guess it'll be start getting my big three up to about 110 and start leveling them together.

• Dormammu
    Dormammu Posts: 3,531 Chairperson of the Boards
    I like pvp.  It's not much fun right now because I play about 8 games and then run into immovable objects that I'm never going to beat with my current roster, but I guess that's always going to be the way in this game
    It gets better. Once you have around half the 3-star tier champed higher scores in PvP become attainable on a regular basis. But even in the 4-star tier there are limits. Top scores in PvP are MPQ's endgame.
  • ThaRoadWarrior
    ThaRoadWarrior Posts: 9,125 Chairperson of the Boards
    I don't remember having much fun in PVP until I started getting champion 4*s, and once I got a few of those I began lamenting not having boosted champion 4*s, and i'm fairly certain before too much longer I'll be wishing I had better 5*s. It's kind of the game, really.
  • TPF Alexis
    TPF Alexis Posts: 3,826 Chairperson of the Boards
    Dormammu said:
    If you play PvP real heavily I'd go the route TPF Alexis recommended and soft-cap your threes to stay in-line with your twos. You can do this for a while, but there's only so many 14th covers you can stomach losing because you don't have a fully-covered 3-star champed.

If you don't play PvP or just dabble, there's no reason to soft-cap anyone for PvE. Just start champing them.
    Whoops. I forgot that I took that approach because PvE had Roster-based Scaling back then. Now with SCL scaling, just go for it.