Lousy Dog Vs. Human Torch

qandols
qandols Posts: 1,160 Chairperson of the Boards
Is this even possible? My level 209 mutt gets his hide spanked every time. Sigh.

Comments

• iron-n-wine
    iron-n-wine Posts: 495 Mover and Shaker
    Lost first time with my lvl 250 lockjaw too
  • BigSoftieFF
    BigSoftieFF Posts: 454 Mover and Shaker
    Pretty easy with a 272 5/4/4 LJ. Had charged red tiles out that were unmatchable and Quake fired twice. 8,000+ health left.
  • Steel_Colt
    Steel_Colt Posts: 277 Mover and Shaker
    qandols said:
    Is this even possible? My level 209 mutt gets his hide spanked every time. Sigh.
    I have Lockjaw at level 209 as well, I managed it first time. Collected blue and waited for Johnny to fire his black. Then fired blue when Medusa would come up and stole his tiles and buffed them. 
    Went fast after that. Token to the hoard.
  • smkspy
    smkspy Posts: 2,024 Chairperson of the Boards
    Lost first time with my 308 jaw due to a really bad board, but second time was easy peasy.
  • Dormammu
    Dormammu Posts: 3,531 Chairperson of the Boards
    Level 210 4/5/4 Lockjaw

Won the first time pretty easily. I took all the green so I could get charged tiles out and start doing damage to Torch every turn, while preventing him from doing the same to me. Red was thankfully scarce. Two casts of Lockjaw blue summoned Quake each time, keeping red even more scarce. Torch did manage one cast of black, but it was too little too late.
  • qandols
    I'll keep at it. Good idea to wait for Johnnys black and the fire blue, thanks for that!
  • Steel_Colt
    qandols said:
    I'll keep at it. Good idea to wait for Johnnys black and the fire blue, thanks for that!
    You're welcome, make sure you have purple as the most prevalent colour on the board. ;)
  • Tee
    Tee Posts: 231 Tile Toppler
    Yeah. Like Colt said, if you get the Medusa swap after his Inferno, this match is over. Thankfully, blue isn't a color Torch will go for so this is probably the best strategy rather than trying to race him to the greens for a red he may pop with fireball. This is probably one of the most luck-based fights in the game but I can't really say it's hard.
  • rocks52
    rocks52 Posts: 232 Tile Toppler
    Another one where luck is simply not on my side.  Failed 4 times now with a lv 209 2/5/5 dog.  Blue seems to be incredibly scarce every time (just like with my last crash!) and when I finally can get blue, I'm about finished.  This last time I had blue, he fires inferno, after 1 turn purple is finally the highest color and the hair matches away 1 attack tile and flips none.  Thanks for that!   Will have to keep trying
  • Kahmon
    Kahmon Posts: 625 Critical Contributor
    Level 294ish, forget the build.

Tedious fight, but outlasted him on 1st try. Good boy lockjaw.

Token to the hoard for Okoye on Monday.
  • snlf25
    snlf25 Posts: 947 Critical Contributor
    My stupid dog is around level 282 and it took 5 tries and I feel like I got lucky more than anything.
  • gmtosca
    gmtosca Posts: 278 Mover and Shaker
    This was hard.  I had to boost my 5/3/5 280 Lockjaw after I lost twice without anything.  And even then, it was like a race to who can drop the other.  Got to less than a 1000 health before I won.

To the hoard.
  • jamesh
    jamesh Posts: 1,600 Chairperson of the Boards
    I got it on my third or fourth try with my champed lockjaw.  In the winning attempt, I managed to cast my green early on and get a hard to match red charged tile to set up some regular damage.  I cast blue a few times to heal with Kamala, which kept me far enough ahead of Torch to win.

I hadn't thought to use Medusa to steal his attack tiles, but I'm not sure if I had the opportunity in the matches I played.  This seems a lot more random than other CoT matches.
  • qandols
    On his own, this stupid mutt is probably the worst character in the game.
  • qandols
    You know, when the mutt finally gets a lot of blue, like 30, Johnny get zilch black. What a mess.
  • qandols
    edited June 2018
    And the when he gets a lot of blue, torch gets black, what does the stupid mutt do? Calls Kamala three times of course. Well thanks for the healing, but without damage your a dead dog anyway. Arrrrgh. And to think I wasted 209 levels of ISO on that flee ridden POS.
  • Steel_Colt
    qandols said:
    And the when he gets a lot of blue, torch gets black, what does the stupid mutt do? Calls Kamala three times of course. Well thanks for the healing, but without damage your a dead dog anyway. Arrrrgh. And to think I wasted 209 levels of ISO on that flee ridden POS.
    Your blue is dependent on the board, so if you cast it and you get Kamala Khan, sorry, but it's your own fault. Match away yellow and leave purple on the board. Torch won't match purple, so that shouldn't be too hard.
    Keep trying and keep an eye on what colours you have on the board. Maybe give yourself a headstart with some blue AP boosts and some extra match damage?
  • Steel_Colt
    This fight really isn't that hard, you just have to make sure you manipulate the board so it fits your needs. This fight is less about denial and more about steering the board in your favor. Blue for you, black for Torch and leave purple alone.
  • qandols
    Thanks, I had not read blue description enough.
  • TPF Alexis
    TPF Alexis Posts: 3,826 Chairperson of the Boards
    271, 3/5/5, second try. No boosts, no real strategy, just played it by ear. Both were very close. First time, I was going to get him with my green passive next turn, but he got enough red for a fireball just in time to stop me. Second time, I dropped him when I was at 85 health, thanks to Medusa stealing away his last Attack Tile.

Token waiting for Okoye.