Spider-Man vs The Sinister Six - Event Details (5/30/18)

Comments

• Spudgutter
    Spudgutter Posts: 743 Critical Contributor
    n25philly said:
    smkspy said:
    n25philly said:
    smkspy said:
    n25philly said:
    Shintok17 said:
    n25philly said:
    Yup, this boss is as terrible as I remember.  Time to take a few days off.  Please take this boss and apocalypse and throw them away to never be used again
    Apocalypse is awesome. I love the strategy it takes to beat him. It feels so good when you beat him because you outsmarted him. He does get tough later on, but I like it. The Sinister Six Boss is just annoying in that the new Boss mode way the enemies behave make the matches take longer than they should. Looking at Doc Oct's count down tile, Venom's invisibility, and Carnage's many matches per round and Loki board shuffle. Overall it's not that bad so far. 
    Both bosses punish you for bad boards which is pure anti-fun.  No reason I should be losing in round 2.  For my alliance's sake I hope someone can step up as I don't want to play stuff that is designed to not be fun.
    Sounds less like a case of it not being fun and more that your roster isn't developed enough yet. That's why we don't have heroics or guantlet anymore, gotta be able to win every reward all the time.
    There is a big difference between losing because your roster is not strong enough and because the only way to win is a countdown tile placed in a spot that is impossible to match.  One is fine and one is bad anti-fun game design
    I'm curious at what round you're at that this point that is giving you such a hard time.
    Wiped on round 2 which is an absolute joke.  In a good boss battle it's like round 6 before I have to worry about something like that.  I mean I technically did like 10x the damage to beat him, but since the special countdown was of course placed in an impossible spot I apparently suck.
    I have 12 champed 5*, and i wiped the first round, first match against ock because i forgot about his conditional damage.  

One bad match does not mean the whole event is bad....
  • DarthDeVo
    DarthDeVo Posts: 2,176 Chairperson of the Boards
    Smart80 said:
    broll said:
    n25philly said:
    Yup, this boss is as terrible as I remember.  Time to take a few days off.  Please take this boss and apocalypse and throw them away to never be used again
    Apocalypse is probably the best boss event after Civil War (that's only better due to potential double rewards).

This one is really good too, only problem with it is that the scoring is way too low.  A top alliance can clear it in half the time, which can easily in 24 hours... Kinda stinks to not have anything to do all weekend.

Fully agree. CW is my favourite because its fun all weekend with double rewards. Apocalypse is probably best designed boss. But these wave bosses come very close to being just as puzzly. I love it, but being done after 2nd node refresh, or even after first refresh is a big let down.. Really gotta do something about points or reward structure imo
    n25philly said:
    Wiped on round 2 which is an absolute joke.  In a good boss battle it's like round 6 before I have to worry about something like that.  I mean I technically did like 10x the damage to beat him, but since the special countdown was of course placed in an impossible spot I apparently suck.
    Gotta pick the right team.. GSBW usually does the trick on lower levels, especially paired with SWitch.

Or hate the puzzle part of the game, that one time it surfaces....
    I totally forgot thir mechanics of how the boss versions worked, so I brought my three champed 5*s into the low levels, expecting to breeze through on match damage. 

First round when Ock came up I was able to clear the row his CD was on in my first move and didn't think much of it. 

Second round, when he was the very first in the wave on the left, I wasn't so lucky. I got the tentacles matched away, and thought that was enough to start doing damage to him. Wrong. To make matters worse, I had used Ghost Rider's Hell Ride, and one of the repeaters was right next to Ock's CD. I had at least two matches lined up that the repeater destroyed before I could make the match. I ended up retreating because the CD ended up in the very bottom right corner with no viable matches. 

I suddenly remembered why I used GSBW and Switch so much the last time the event ran. I'm running Rulk, Chulk, and Vulture to feed them this time. 
  • udonomefoo
    udonomefoo Posts: 1,630 Chairperson of the Boards
    Vulture blue, chulk green, 3rd of your choice.  Easy peasy.
  • Jarvis_Jackrabbit
    Jarvis_Jackrabbit Posts: 78 Match Maker
    edited June 2018
    Vulture blue, chulk green, 3rd of your choice.  Easy peasy.
    C&D with these two for the win. Round 6 already and have only used Chulk, Vulture, and Clagger with nary a health pack between them.

The puzzly bit with them is to figure out how to hoard blue (and green obviously) long enough to one-shot two consecutive bosses with Chulk's green on the same turn.
  • Smart80
    Smart80 Posts: 748 Critical Contributor
    3d2h to go and personal progress rewards are all won already... :-(
  • Richyyy
    Richyyy Posts: 305 Mover and Shaker
    Smart80 said:
    3d2h to go and personal progress rewards are all won already... :-(
    Yeah, I just finished that off too. Does seem a little silly.
  • jamesh
    jamesh Posts: 1,600 Chairperson of the Boards
    broll said:
    n25philly said:
    Apocalypse is probably the best boss event after Civil War (that's only better due to potential double rewards).

This one is really good too, only problem with it is that the scoring is way too low.  A top alliance can clear it in half the time, which can easily in 24 hours... Kinda stinks to not have anything to do all weekend.
    For most boss events, I usually get a bit over the maximum personal progression.  For Sinister Six, I regularly get three times the maximum personal progression.  I suspect some of the point targets have been set based on you only beating one of the three bosses.

This could be a mistake, or a concession to the fact that you could easily wipe to doc ock if you're unlucky.
  • LifeofAgony
    LifeofAgony Posts: 690 Critical Contributor
    It usually at least a full day before starting to hit personal prog.  Oops.
  • Shintok17
    Shintok17 Posts: 620 Critical Contributor
    ME Hulk, Scarlet Witch, and Vulture are doing wonders for me this Boss event.
  • Pants1000
    Pants1000 Posts: 484 Mover and Shaker
    n25philly said:
    smkspy said:
    n25philly said:
    Shintok17 said:
    n25philly said:
    Apocalypse is awesome. I love the strategy it takes to beat him. It feels so good when you beat him because you outsmarted him. He does get tough later on, but I like it. The Sinister Six Boss is just annoying in that the new Boss mode way the enemies behave make the matches take longer than they should. Looking at Doc Oct's count down tile, Venom's invisibility, and Carnage's many matches per round and Loki board shuffle. Overall it's not that bad so far. 
    Both bosses punish you for bad boards which is pure anti-fun.  No reason I should be losing in round 2.  For my alliance's sake I hope someone can step up as I don't want to play stuff that is designed to not be fun.
    Sounds less like a case of it not being fun and more that your roster isn't developed enough yet. That's why we don't have heroics or guantlet anymore, gotta be able to win every reward all the time.
    There is a big difference between losing because your roster is not strong enough and because the only way to win is a countdown tile placed in a spot that is impossible to match.  One is fine and one is bad anti-fun game design
    Try bringing a character that can destroy part of the board, rather than having to match it.  TA Hulk is boosted for the event and makes getting rid of Ock’s CD tile easy.
  • jamesh
    jamesh Posts: 1,600 Chairperson of the Boards
    Rogue's red can also be used as a substitute for TA Hulk.  Even with the event buff, my TA Hulk is still lower level than my Rogue.
  • Daiches
    Daiches Posts: 1,252 Chairperson of the Boards
    When does the overlap PVE start? Or are we just 3 days without story mode play, and income from it?
  • Quebbster
    Quebbster Posts: 8,070 Chairperson of the Boards
    Daiches said:
    When does the overlap PVE start? Or are we just 3 days without story mode play, and income from it?

Sunday, as Always. Get started on PvP early, I guess...
  • CNash
    CNash Posts: 952 Critical Contributor
    Vulture is the MVP for this event. His blue can destroy Venom's invisibility tiles and Doc Ock's tentacles and reactor tile when fired from his black. Pair with Rogue just in case things go south - she can punch out the reactor with her red, and also blunts Sandman's yellow match damage. Finally, bring Patch along - throw out Berserker Rage whenever you can, Vulture will clean up the enemy strike tiles easily, and when Vulture goes airborne Patch tanks everything and his red becomes a near-OHKO for most of the bosses.
  • Quebbster
    Quebbster Posts: 8,070 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited June 2018
    Twice now my Alliance has unlocked a new round without the boss nodes unlocking for me. Anyone else have this issue?
  • broll
    broll Posts: 4,732 Chairperson of the Boards
    jamesh said:
    broll said:
    n25philly said:

For most boss events, I usually get a bit over the maximum personal progression.  For Sinister Six, I regularly get three times the maximum personal progression.  I suspect some of the point targets have been set based on you only beating one of the three bosses.

This could be a mistake, or a concession to the fact that you could easily wipe to doc ock if you're unlucky.
    Or it could be it's not properly accounting for double boss damage every round clear (2 free unlocks vs 1) and the fact that there are 6 side nodes vs 5.  

There's a number of things that could be out of wack, 1 to many of them definitely is.  

That being said I'd rather then fail towards too easy than impossible to complete.  Just need to tighten it up a little for future runs.
  • optimus2861
    optimus2861 Posts: 1,232 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited June 2018
    n25philly said:

You can't brute-force your way through the Doc Ock fight. You've gotta bring characters that can move & shake the board, for cheap. Loki is a star here, even though he's not boosted and won't serve you much other good. 5 AP = total board shuffle. Now that tile in the corner is (hopefully) out of the corner. And if you fail, 5 more AP, try again. You've got 20 turns to get them.

Quicksilver is another option, as his black swaps a pair of tiles. Phil Coulson's purple. Scarlet Witch's passive blue. Cho's blue. Storm's green.

I've been running 4* Wolverine, 4* Cho, and 3* Loki against Ock. That way I've got Loki's purple, Cho's blue, and either Cho's or Wolvie's green to shake up the board. It's still early but no troubles beating Ock down yet.
  • HoundofShadow
    HoundofShadow Posts: 8,004 Chairperson of the Boards
    You always have Captain America to override the tentacles, except the 20-turn countdown.  Other notable mention: 3* Sam Wilson, GSBW and more.
  • Shintok17
    Shintok17 Posts: 620 Critical Contributor
    Just a tip. Vulture when he comes down from his Black power destroys Doc Oct's tentacles and also destroys venom's invisibility tiles due to his Blue Passive Power. He in this Boss event.