Spider-Man (Infinity War) *Updated (5/30/18)

Comments

• Dormammu
    Dormammu Posts: 3,531 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited May 2018
    Characters who need to tank their colors in order to be effective traditionally have found a place on my roster's bench and never left it - Vision, X-23, etc.
  • Daredevil217
    Daredevil217 Posts: 3,895 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited May 2018
    Dormammu said:
    Characters who need to tank their colors in order to be effective traditionally have found a place on my roster's bench and never left it - Vision, X-23, etc.

America has the nice boost to her damage (hope Parker has it too) and is effective even without tanking. 

Rogue jumps in front making her the ultimate tank. 

Really wish they’d of taken a page out of these books with Spidey. 
  • AlexNapalm
    AlexNapalm Posts: 122 Tile Toppler
    Dormammu said:

True. I'll probably play him a bunch when he's champed and boosted. Also, without a champed Gwen or Miles, I feel like I can't really make the most out of him right now. Still, he seems pretty cool. 
  • cschwinge
    cschwinge Posts: 49 Just Dropped In
    edited May 2018
    @mega ghost

Iron Spidey's passive reduces damage from only enemy power, not match damage. So, you can forget about him soaking match damage, unless the description changed.
    Which means Grocket/Medusa/Gamora >>> Spiderverse as they will melt the face of Parker with strikes before he can ramp up. 

Honestly the perfect partner for Spidey is Shuri... if they didn’t have the exact same color configuration, in the exact same order, with the exact same color (blue) being passive for both. 
    A Spidey teamup with Kraven? Heh. The Web Shooters happen to reduce match damage at 1*, so that's a nice synergy with Iron Spider

Aside from the spider-team, a team of Vulture, Iron Spider and Rogue would be just brutal with vulture feeding green to make mass web tiles and Rogue intercepting matches
  • ZeiramMR
    ZeiramMR Posts: 1,357 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited May 2018
    Dormammu said:

(Excuse the messed-up quote block from my mobile)

Once supports reach a state of maturity, the ones that boost match damage can help band-aid this issue. Between Sharon Carter and Kimoyo Beads I am already playing a lot of Story Mode with red and blue boosted by 30 damage after bringing those to level 50. (And better America Chavez crits which is the main reason I use those specific supports.)
  • Straycat
    Straycat Posts: 963 Critical Contributor
    Dormammu said:

I used Vision with Bullseye a lot back in 3* tier. They both need to tank colors and they have no overlap. Can't really do that for 4* spidey, not many great purple yellow black partners for him. And if he's usually partnered with Miles or Gwen, you'd might be giving up red already. But his passive is still useful since his green can make so many webs on its own
  • udonomefoo
    udonomefoo Posts: 1,630 Chairperson of the Boards
    Dormammu said:
    Agreed.  Especially because all the strategies in this thread require IronPete to tank over characters that have been out for well over a year.  Good luck with that.
  • HoundofShadow
    HoundofShadow Posts: 8,004 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited May 2018
    Why does Iron Spidey need to tank colours?

Due to needing to make a match to generate 2 web tiles?
  • Daredevil217
    Daredevil217 Posts: 3,895 Chairperson of the Boards
    Dormammu said:
    Agreed.  Especially because all the strategies in this thread require IronPete to tank over characters that have been out for well over a year.  Good luck with that.
    For me that shouldn't be a problem after awhile.  My latests are far surpassing my classics.  I'm going to wait for him to enter tokens before pulling to finish Jess (need 2) and he'll still be in there when I pull for Okoye (need 12).  For reference my highest characters are Vulture (305), Nightcrawler (301), Rogue (300), Carol (298), ME Hulk (298) and Gamora (296).  Miles is 288 and Gwen is 275. Iron Spidey will pass them eventually.
  • JHawkInc
    JHawkInc Posts: 2,601 Chairperson of the Boards
    His blue says "Whenever Spider-Man makes a match", which would require him to tank the color. Of course, that's only to generate web tiles with his passive blue. You would still get the damage reduction if you used Miles or Spider-Gwen to make the web tiles instead. Of course, Spidey would need to tank colors to be in front to make use of the damage reduction, too.
  • mega ghost
    mega ghost Posts: 1,154 Chairperson of the Boards
    RE: The tanking issue, yes, agreed, that's why I'm waiting on his numbers. If they didn't design him so his stats ensured he'd tank (at the very least) his own colors then that would be an enormous design flaw and completely counterproductive. I've got my fingers crossed.
  • HoundofShadow
    edited May 2018
    His ability doesn't require him to be in front to get damage reduction from enemy power. He can be in the middle or at the back and he still get damage reduction as long as there is at least one web tile. 

As for tanking, depending on who you team him up with, he's likely to be tanking green and blue. 
  • mega ghost
    mega ghost Posts: 1,154 Chairperson of the Boards
    His ability doesn't require him to be in front to get damage reduction from enemy power. He can be in the middle or at the back and he still get damage reduction as long as there is at least one web tile. 

As for tanking, depending on who you team him up with, he's likely to be tanking green and blue. 
    True! But he does need to make the matches to get the web tiles, and this passive only truly shines if they're plentiful and the matches happen organically and as collateral, not something you have to actively seek out.
  • HoundofShadow
    edited May 2018
    I get what it is about him having to be in front to tank power damage. If he has to tank, then Spider-Gwen has to be with him to heal him. 

Teaming him up with Miles, we can see:

Champed Miles' Purple ability (6 + 8 ap) does 5104 + 543 for each web tiles. Or 13249 if there are 15 web tiles.

Iron Spidey's Red ability (10 ap) does 2704 + 1083 for each red, green or blue web tile or 542 for other web tiles.  Using the worst case scenario of 15 web tiles that have only 3 green, red or blue web tiles, he can deal 2704+(1083*3)+(12*542) = 12, 457. If we increase it to 8, it would be 15, 162.

Spider-Gwen does 9390 for her red damage, assuming 6 AP. So she deals 18k damage for 12 AP.

They have the potential to one-shot many 4-Stars with their web tiles. It seems going with Miles is better. Just need another blue and black to complete the team.
  • Sm0keyJ0e
    Sm0keyJ0e Posts: 730 Critical Contributor
    edited May 2018

That works for team damage only--you need him UP FRONT (a la tanking) to get the benefit of diffusing single target effects. This is really not a good passive for your team unless you can put him up front.

And for your tanking statement--why do you assume he's likely tanking green and blue? I assume he's tanking NOTHING as he's the newest 4* on your roster, and unless you're pairing him with 3*'s or Miles/Gwen, he's sitting in the back--not negating damage, not creating web tiles, not doing much of anything...

EDIT: I feel like I'm the only person on here who is horribly underwhelmed by this toon. His best partner (5* Parker) can't be used with him. And how often do you see Gwen/Miles teams now? Seems like a gimmick toon to me, but what do I know.
  • Nick441234
    Nick441234 Posts: 1,496 Chairperson of the Boards
    broll said:
    Why do we have to wait a year for all of this?

[Thread title: Spider-Man (Infinity War) (5/29/19)]

No, thats a clue for when we will finally get the Civil War celebrations.  ;)
  • Dormammu
    Dormammu Posts: 3,531 Chairperson of the Boards
    If it's AoE damage, yeah. Otherwise he absolutely needs to be up front.

I would imagine if he jumped up front half the time, like Rogue does, he'd be way overpowered since there doesn't appear to be a limit on the damage reduction (up to 100%).
  • thedarkphoenix
    thedarkphoenix Posts: 556 Critical Contributor
    If anything he becomes one of those "I have to kill him 1st characters" simply because if you don't you run the chance of letting the battle lag on to long dealing with web tiles. So he'd be a good defense team in 4 land. 

However R&G/medusa teams would still do pretty well against spidey teams.
  • skittledaddy
    skittledaddy Posts: 969 Critical Contributor
    Quebbster said:
    Boss battle when the kid is away with his scout troop... Nice, lots of free time this weekend!
    Just the opposite for me...
    I'm bummed about the timing of this one since I will be out WITH my boys' scout troop this weekend.

Do we know yet who the 4* Alliance Rewards will be in the Boss Event? Someone better than FalconCap, I hope.