PVE tips

eddidit
eddidit Posts: 86 Match Maker
edited May 2018 in MPQ Tips and Guides
I'm sure this has been discussed before but I can't seem to find the correct search words to get an answer. I was wondering how does one go about maximizing ones points during pve? I do the suggested 5x times and many of times I've done all 6 rounds and on every node and I'm still not getting as many points as I've seen others have. What is the secret? 

Comments

• Maximus7481
    Maximus7481 Posts: 30 Just Dropped In
    Do 4 of each node as quickly as possible after the event opens, including the special character nodes. Then complete the final last 2 battles of each node as close to the finish of the event as possible.
  • eddidit
    Ahh thank you that's where I'm messing up it's about timing. I was just playing throughout the day. 
  • Quebbster
    Quebbster Posts: 8,070 Chairperson of the Boards
    Yeah, if you want to maximize Points you need to start the countdowns as quickly as possible and then do the final playthroughs as Close to the end as possible. The faster you can clear the nodes the better, too.
  • Waddles_Pines
    Waddles_Pines Posts: 1,188 Chairperson of the Boards
    Do 4 of each node as quickly as possible after the event opens, including the special character nodes. Then complete the final last 2 battles of each node as close to the finish of the event as possible.
    If you want to maximize you have to do 3 final clears, not 2.  Also in wave nodes, 2 clears in the beginning, 3 at the end.  If you just want to get full progression, 5 clears at any time is good...
  • Dormammu
    Dormammu Posts: 3,531 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited May 2018
    Here is how I do it when I'm seeking placement. I have no idea if this is perfectly ideal but it's usually good for top 10 in the post-tapping era.

First clears should start the minute the event/sub starts:
    Gateway Loaner Node (1x)
    1st Easy Node (1x)
    4-star Essential Node (4x)
    3-star Essential Node (4x)
    2-star Essential Node (4x)
    2nd Easy Node (1x)
    3rd Easy Node (1x)
    1st Hard Node (1x)
    2nd Hard Node (1x)
    3rd Hard Node (4x)
    2nd Hard Node (3x)
    1st Hard Node (3x)
    5-star Essential Node (4x - this is only SCL 7 or higher)
    3rd Easy Node (3x)
    2nd Easy Node (3x)
    1st Easy Node (3x)

The last clears should be as close to the end of the sub as possible:
    Do 2 clears of each node, from the 1st Easy Node to the 4-star Essential Node, starting
           with the 1st easy node and working your way up.
    Clear the Gateway Loaner node as many times as it takes to put it at zero points.
    Clear the 5-star Essential Node 3 times.
    Do 1 clear of each other node, starting with the 1st easy node and working your way up.

This will give you 7 clears of each node and get you close to maximizing the point value regeneration in-between clears. This is about as min-maxy as you can get, but for competitive placement the difference between point totals in the top 10 are pretty narrow.
  • Waddles_Pines
    Waddles_Pines Posts: 1,188 Chairperson of the Boards
    Depending on which level you play on, if you can't make top 10, 20, etc (whatever your goal is), then you might consider going down a level or findda different time slice.  You'll usually see the same competition if you stick to the same level/time each pve.  Also if you're not playing level 7/8/9, and you don't have the essential 5, you won't place super high since you'll have no way to make up those points.  In that case, go down to level 6, or just play as normal and be realistic in what your placement will be.  

A couple of pve playing optimally and you'll get a good idea of what realistic placement is for you.  Also worth noting, if you don't have a lot of boosted characters or pve busting teams (5* teams, Grocket, gamora, Medusa, strange, etc), you'll place lower since speed rules in pve.
  • TPF Alexis
    TPF Alexis Posts: 3,826 Chairperson of the Boards
    Dormammu said:
    Here is how I do it when I'm seeking placement. I have no idea if this is perfectly ideal but it's usually good for top 10 in the post-tapping era.

First clears should start the minute the event/sub starts:
    Gateway Loaner Node (1x)
    1st Easy Node (1x)
    4-star Essential Node (4x)
    3-star Essential Node (4x)
    2-star Essential Node (4x)
    2nd Easy Node (1x)
    3rd Easy Node (1x)
    1st Hard Node (1x)
    2nd Hard Node (1x)
    3rd Hard Node (4x)
    2nd Hard Node (3x)
    1st Hard Node (3x)
    5-star Essential Node (4x - this is only SCL 7 or higher)
    3rd Easy Node (3x)
    2nd Easy Node (3x)
    1st Easy Node (3x)

The last clears should be as close to the end of the sub as possible:
    Do 2 clears of each node, from the 1st Easy Node to the 4-star Essential Node, starting
           with the 1st easy node and working your way up.
    Clear the Gateway Loaner node as many times as it takes to put it at zero points.
    Clear the 5-star Essential Node 3 times.
    Do 1 clear of each other node, starting with the 1st easy node and working your way up.

This will give you 7 clears of each node and get you close to maximizing the point value regeneration in-between clears. This is about as min-maxy as you can get, but for competitive placement the difference between point totals in the top 10 are pretty narrow.
    In SCL7 this is right, but in SCL8-9, the 5* Essential is worth more than any other, so if you can do it quickly enough, it's worth doing it before the 4* Essential. Wave Nodes can also modify the order.

Basically, you want to get the timers recharging for the most valuable nodes the soonest, and then leave them for last, so they have the most time to recover points.
  • Dormammu
    Dormammu Posts: 3,531 Chairperson of the Boards
    Yeah, if it's a wave node only do two initial clears, then 3 clears at the end.
  • eddidit
    Wow, this is super helpful thank you. I kept feeling like I could place higher but couldn't wrap my head around maximizing points. It's too late for the current pve but will try this out for the next one. 
  • Roland113
    Roland113 Posts: 298 Mover and Shaker
    @Brigby, can I recommend this info be included in the faq gameplay thread?   I think @Dormammu 's answer can be useful for players at many levels. 
  • DAZ0273
    DAZ0273 Posts: 9,569 Chairperson of the Boards
     Also worth noting, if you don't have a lot of boosted characters or pve busting teams (5* teams, Grocket, gamora, Medusa, strange, etc), you'll place lower since speed rules in pve.
    This is definitely a key factor if you are trying to obtain a certain goal and why I stopped bothering with PvE and its mind numbing grind!
  • trat73
    trat73 Posts: 79 Match Maker
    Slightly off topic but if you don’t have the required 5 star is it still possible to get max progression in skill level 9? If not, which level is best for all rewards (without worrying about placement)?
  • TPF Alexis
    TPF Alexis Posts: 3,826 Chairperson of the Boards
    trat73 said:
    Slightly off topic but if you don’t have the required 5 star is it still possible to get max progression in skill level 9? If not, which level is best for all rewards (without worrying about placement)?
    The 5* nodes are not included in the requirements for full Progression. 1 clear past when the points start refreshing of all other Nodes will suffice.
  • eddidit
    I've been able to place a lot higher after the advice here. But now how about subs that span over a day? Some are 2 days long does the same strategy apply? 
  • Quebbster
    Quebbster Posts: 8,070 Chairperson of the Boards
    eddidit said:
    I've been able to place a lot higher after the advice here. But now how about subs that span over a day? Some are 2 days long does the same strategy apply? 

You Always want to hit the nodes for as many Points as possible. In two-day subs, that means starting the timers as fast as possible (four hits for regular nodes, two hits for wave nodes), and then hitting them once again the next day as soon as the Points are back to full. Then you end grind when the sub is closing to mop up as many Points as you can.