Are there any 3 stars I should have that I currently don't?

pixiejazz
pixiejazz Posts: 32 Just Dropped In
To be honest, most of my tokens award me 1 stars, 2 stars, or 4 stars. Very rarely do I get 3 star characters, and when I do, they're characters I already have and can just boost even more. I recently champed Starlord, Thanos, and Ragnarok, and Doctor Doom, Deadpool, and Kamala Khan are the next three I should be able to champ. I do have a couple of my 3 star characters favorited to try and get more covers for them, but so far, not much luck. I've also been selling off my max champed 2 stars characters so I can start them again. So far, Wolverine is the one who is almost back to champ status again. I do need to re-recruit Bullseye and Thor to start them over again.

I'm honestly not a huge fan of Mohawk Storm, She-Hulk, Gambit, Beast, Daken, or Bullseye. I've had all of them at some point and got rid of them instead. But maybe I should give them another shot?

I've been recruiting the four star characters I've been unlocking, only because I haven't gotten any new three stars in forever. But I will sell the four stars if there's a three star I should be focusing on once I finally unlock the cover. For now, the four stars are more placeholders than anything, although I've been using Main Event Hulk and Lockjaw because I really like their moves.

And as for my two five star characters, I haven't done anything with them since early March, since I don't really get five star covers. The only reason Thanos has ISO-8 sunk into him is because I got lucky and got two moves for him, and I do use both him and Black Bolt for harder story modes. So, yeah. That's that.

Thoughts on the three stars? Who is someone I really should have rostered? I'll make note of it and once I get their cover, I can recruit them.

Comments

• pixiejazz
    Updated Ms. Marvel and Mystique after playing DDQ. My standard tokens (2), elite token (1), and taco tokens (2) gave me 2 star Bullseye, 2 star Ms. Marvel, 2 star Black Widow, 1 star Iron Man, and 1 star Storm. Sold the latter 2, raised Ms. Marvel's level, and kept Bullseye and Black Widow for later.
  • abominatrix
    abominatrix Posts: 221 Tile Toppler
    A few comments...

Of the 3* you listed, most of them have their uses. Storm's black is annoying, Beast doesn't get a lot of love, but his blue is cheap and sets up his green, Dakan self-heals and his blue can hit hard for low AP, and I find Bullseye fun to play. I have a couple of alliance-mates who make the case for Gambit, but by the time he came in, I was no longer playing 3*, and when they adjusted him he lost all love in the forums. In short, I know nothing about him.

Not having characters on your roster will limit your PVE play when they come up as essentials. That's always a bummer especially since your roster can handle the 3*E nodes even if your essential is only one cover.

More globally, I am in the camp where you should eventually roster and champ everybody. I'm in 5* land today, and the 3* covers are still the most regular income generators between ISO, HP, and CP. Yes, 4* covers bring more of those things, you get a lot more 3* covers than 4* ones. Even if you never use she-hulk (and her green is situationally useful), her champ rewards are just as good as everybody else's and she gives Gwenpool covers.

That doesn't mean that you should go out of your way to roster the 3* you don't have, but as you gain more HP (which you will if you keep building your roster), you'll be able to roster new characters as you draw them and there's no reason not to.

Hope that helps!
  • Sim Mayor
    Sim Mayor Posts: 309 Mover and Shaker
    I agree with abominatrix about eventually trying to get everybody, but I know some players aren't going to put in that level of time and effort into a match-3 game. Then again, you put in the time and effort to set your roster up in Gamependium, and I haven't done that, so what do I know? ;)

At the level of play you're at right now, my go-to team was Rocket & Groot, Blade and Dr. Strange, all of which you have started. My wife loves Captain Marvel and Gamora for low-cost attacks, and Cyclops has two of the highest damage attacks available in that tier.

• jtsings
    jtsings Posts: 278 Mover and Shaker
    edited May 2018

More globally, I am in the camp where you should eventually roster and champ everybody. I'm in 5* land today, and the 3* covers are still the most regular income generators between ISO, HP, and CP. Yes, 4* covers bring more of those things, you get a lot more 3* covers than 4* ones.
      100% agreement here.  One of the most useless 3*s, imho, Sentry gave me a pretty good champ 4* Moon Knight, even though I never use Sentry unless he's required.  I honestly would take any of the 3*s over your 4* Howard the Duck or Quake but of who you have left I'd say Falcon and Thor should be a priority.  Falcon and Blade make really good buddies in PVE or PVP and Thor, while he can take a while to get going, his green has the deadliest AOE damage in 3* land and has very high health.  To continue along with what abominatrix said, Bullseye is a really good 3* for wave nodes.  I used him every day with Str3nge and IM40 in the Big Enchilada in DDQ  before I started champing 4*s.  Get him to get the first kill in a wave node and watch your board fill up with friendly strike tiles.  During his boost weeks it wasn't uncommon for me to not be able to make a match without matching one of his strike tiles, because they were all over the place.
  • Waddles_Pines
    Waddles_Pines Posts: 1,188 Chairperson of the Boards
    Since you're farming 2*, might as well keep all the 3's that your farm feeds.  That is unless you rather have the iso from selling those covers.  Don't level 5* since your main playable roster is a lot lower in levels (otherwise you might mess up your MMR if you play pvp).  Bonus Hero 3* Iron Man since he's the best battery until you get Vulture.

Out of the ones on the list you're missing, anyone but Gambit, he was nerfed to oblivion.  Cyclops hits hard, Shulk is annoying as f... though she never depletes the AP I want her to  :/... I can make pros/cons of every character, since I've been playing forever.  If you have specific character questions, just ask.  
  • Dormammu
    Dormammu Posts: 3,531 Chairperson of the Boards
    My advice? Roster and champ ALL the 3-stars. 
  • TPF Alexis
    TPF Alexis Posts: 3,826 Chairperson of the Boards
    There are some that are higher or lower priority, but yeah, you should ideally try to champ them all. The champ rewards really do add up, and they're needed to unlock Required nodes. Also, if you play PvP, they do all eventually come around as Featured there, and it's much nicer to have a decently covered or champed version than the loaner. They also all show up in DDQ, so you're locking yourself out of a couple of nodes there (and some solid rewards) on some days.

I left a bunch of them un-rostered until I was starting to get into 4* land, and found it a real slog. Things got noticeably easier once I went back and got all the 3* on board.

Also, yeah, 3* covers are in kind of an awkward place in terms of availability. They're the only category short of 5* that doesn't have a token that primarily features them. The best way to pick them up reliably is PvE progression rewards and DDQ.
  • Rod5
    Rod5 Posts: 585 Critical Contributor
    If you want to progress in the game, roster them all. 

It’s the long-term play, but tbh you will see the benefit even in the short-term. Having the essential 2s/3s/4s is vital for getting more PvE rewards.

Training/champing/reaping the champ rewards are the way forward. Milestone achievements are rostering all 3s, then eventually champing all of them.
  • Rod5
    ....then eventually max champing all of them and rostering a dupe, champing the dupe and so on :D
  • pixiejazz
    So from what I'm getting, I probably should eventually get all the 3* characters, even though some of them suck (like Gambit).

I think my main focus right now will be Cyclops, only because he seems like he does the most damage. I definitely avoid him at times when he shows up in PVP unless I'm feeling particularly ambitious. So I do think I want to try and unlock him and start working on him next.

I saw someone mention Vulture. I do have Vulture already, and I have 2 green moves for him. I really like Vulture and plan to keep him around.

I just wish I could get more covers for some of the 3* characters I have favorited, like IM40 and Doctor Strange. I never seem to unlock them when I do get lucky and get a 3* cover. It's always someone else.

I did start champing 2* Bullseye again. He's about halfway to being champed already.

Thanks for the advice, guys. Fingers crossed I can unlock some new 3* characters who might be worthwhile (like Cyclops) soon.

• Dormammu
    My advice? Pick one favorite at each star tier. That way you get the one you want when a Bonus Hero triggers.
  • pixiejazz
    Dormammu said:
    My advice? Pick one favorite at each star tier. That way you get the one you want when a Bonus Hero triggers.
    I've had Doctor Strange favorited for a while now and still don't have his third move. He's at 4-0-4. I also favorited IM40, but maybe I should un-favorite him until I get Doctor Strange maxed. I really liked DS and would like to max him out, but haven't had much luck with him.

And for my 4* character, I have Vulture favorited, which I hope is why I got a second cover for him yesterday. He's now at 0-2-0, but it's a start.

• Heartbreaksoup
    Heartbreaksoup Posts: 352 Mover and Shaker
    edited May 2018
    Perhaps I'm misreading you, but you do know that the gold favorite stamp which gives you a Bonus Hero has no impact on what character you get from a cover?  It's an additional, second cover that you get approximately 5% of the time if you're opening one cover at a time.

That is, if you get a single 3* character, it could be any one of the 47 characters in that tier.  Then, about 5% of the time, the game will award you a second 3* character, and that's the one you control by favoriting which one you want.

Right now I have the Hood, of all people, favorited at level 211, because I'm chasing the red Ghost Rider cover, and that's his reward when he gets to level 223.

But in your case, yes, I would definitely favorite Strange and *only* Strange.
  • kk3thess
    kk3thess Posts: 202 Tile Toppler
    My case for Gambit: He gives Rogue covers.
  • Rod5
    kk3thess said:
    Yes, this. Rogue is unquestionably one of the best (if not the best) of the 4s.
  • spatenfloot
    spatenfloot Posts: 660 Critical Contributor
    Rod5 said:
    kk3thess said:
    I question that.
  • Dormammu
    Rod5 said:
    kk3thess said:
    I question that.
    Why? You don't think Rogue is one of the best 4-stars? I do.
  • Waddles_Pines
    Waddles_Pines Posts: 1,188 Chairperson of the Boards
    Dormammu said:
    Rod5 said:
    kk3thess said:
    I question that.
    Why? You don't think Rogue is one of the best 4-stars? I do.
    I think she is too, but she's a lot like Agent Venom (FYI I think AV is underrated).  Playing with her you have to pay more attention to manage AP pools.  She's great, but in PVE, it's more about speed.  Now, 3* Gambit still blows...
  • pixiejazz
    Perhaps I'm misreading you, but you do know that the gold favorite stamp which gives you a Bonus Hero has no impact on what character you get from a cover?  It's an additional, second cover that you get approximately 5% of the time if you're opening one cover at a time.

That is, if you get a single 3* character, it could be any one of the 47 characters in that tier.  Then, about 5% of the time, the game will award you a second 3* character, and that's the one you control by favoriting which one you want.

Right now I have the Hood, of all people, favorited at level 211, because I'm chasing the red Ghost Rider cover, and that's his reward when he gets to level 223.

But in your case, yes, I would definitely favorite Strange and *only* Strange.
    I may have mis-spoke, if you will. I know having a character favorited doesn't guarantee a cover for them. I just meant that any time I do get a bonus cover, it's always someone else, like Daredevil (I don't mind, since he was my first champed 3*) or Luke Cage (also don't mind, since he has an amazing yellow move). I just wish I had a little more luck with Doctor Strange.

Also, good luck with Ghost Rider!
  • pixiejazz
    kk3thess said:
    I had Rogue at one point. I didn't use her all that much. Had two moves for her, but I sold her after a bit for other 3* characters instead. But it's good to know Gambit feeds Rogue. Thanks!