Deadpool 2

Scofie
Scofie GLOBAL_MODERATORS Posts: 1,113 Chairperson of the Boards
Now I'm aware that there was a serious amount of underwhelm on here about the Infinity War tie-in but DP2 seems to have arrived without any mentions at all. From anyone. Is there any reason for that?

Movie is great by the way. 

Comments

• HoundofShadow
    HoundofShadow Posts: 8,004 Chairperson of the Boards
    I think someone mentioned that it's due to some IP related matters between Disney and Fox. I'm not sure how true it is, given that we have 2 Deadpools and 2 Deadpool themed Story Events.

It could be due to IW. 4 characters from IW were introduced and Okoye just got rolled out yesterday. Spidey would be in on the 30th this month.  

Antman and Wasp is out this July on the 6th. They might be able to slot in something on the 14th of June for Deadpool.
  • Quebbster
    Quebbster Posts: 8,070 Chairperson of the Boards
    I was hoping maybe there would be an update to the Deadpool Daily Quest. That happened when the first Movie released.
  • madoctor
    madoctor Posts: 292 Mover and Shaker
    edited May 2018
    The Deadpool movie rights are with Fox, and the comic rights are with Marvel which is now owned by Disney. Disney also owns the cinematic rights to other Marvel heroes, except the ones whose cinematic rights are with other studios. So basically Fox is a competitor of Disney and Disney will not actively spend money to promote a competing studios release. Thus there hasn't been a Deadpool 2 tie-in, and there probably might not be. That is why we didn't see a F4ntastic tie in when that was released (the latest one) , neither a tie in for the X Men prequel trilogy or the Logan movie. Also the reason why didn't have any "The amazing Spider-Man" tie in (Sony) and got a new 5* Spiderman as soon as it was announced that Spiderman was a part of the MCU.

They can however release Deadpool characters any time however, since they do have the comic rights to Deadpool and that's also the reason why we already have 2 Deadpool's in MPQ.

Note- This is just my understanding of the situation, which might be incorrect.
  • jym010
    jym010 Posts: 108 Tile Toppler
    As much as I am anti-monopoly, I would love to see Disney get Fox's X-men universe.  We could then get Domino and Cable from the new Deadpool, plus with the New Mutants movie coming out, the possibilities are endless.
  • Dormammu
    Dormammu Posts: 3,531 Chairperson of the Boards
    madoctor said:
    Fox is a competitor of Disney and Disney will not actively spend money to promote a competing studios release.
    FYI - Disney bought Fox, though it'll take a while before the dust fully settles on that one and the X-characters return to the control of Marvel Studios.

But you're not wrong. Deadpool 2's producers (moneymakers) are not affiliated with Marvel/Disney and have no connection with MPQ. In fact, currently MPQ legally can't produce content or add characters that have the likeness of Fox's movie characters. This is why we have four Wolverine's in the game but none that look like Hugh Jackman.

Once the sale and transfer of Fox's movie studio is finalized and shifted over to Disney, I suspect things will be different.
  • Bzhai
    Bzhai Posts: 437 Mover and Shaker
    I would be grateful even if they had a simple bundle sale of Deadpool covers.
  • bluewolf
    bluewolf Posts: 5,245 Chairperson of the Boards
    By the time we get a “movie-look” Wolverine, I wonder if he’ll look like Hugh or the poor fellow who plays him after Hugh.  Talk about big claws to wield.
  • ThaRoadWarrior
    ThaRoadWarrior Posts: 9,125 Chairperson of the Boards
    People are stating pretty definitively that there are legal restrictions on what characters this game gets to use, do we know that to actually be true? 
  • bluewolf
    bluewolf Posts: 5,245 Chairperson of the Boards
    Well, a dev just commented on Discord that it is very surprising that MSF has Deadpool now. There are obvious contractual restrictions about which characters can be put in the game and their likenesses.

Once upon a time, Marvel went bankrupt and in the aftermath sold off any movie rights they could to try to stay alive. And here we are today with a giant mess.

One thing DC and Warner’s gets right is having all the toys available.
  • ThaRoadWarrior
    edited May 2018
    Well, it probably shouldn't be all that surprsing, since StrikeForce was developed by a studio called FoxNext Games LLC...Probably should be more surprising that they had Infinity War content
  • Dormammu
    Dormammu Posts: 3,531 Chairperson of the Boards
    People are stating pretty definitively that there are legal restrictions on what characters this game gets to use, do we know that to actually be true? 
    In the case of Marvel's licensing the legalities are fairly public and clear.

Fox had/has contractual exclusivity to the X-Men and associated mutant characters. The contract was so specific that Marvel Studios hasn't even been able to use the term 'mutant' in their movies (like with Scarlet Witch). This will all come to an end once the sale of Fox's movie studios and properties to Disney is finalized.

Sony has contractual exclusivity to Spider-Man and his associated characters (like Venom) - this contract continues in perpetuity as long as Sony has a Spider-Man related film in active development within 5 years of the last one. Currently, Sony has agreed to allow Spider-Man to be a part of the MCU for an unknown quantity of films.

Now, Marvel can authorize the use of ANY of their characters to appear in Marvel Puzzle Quest, including the X-Men and Spider-Man, because Fox and Sony's licensing contracts only pertain to the use of those characters in movies and television. In any other medium, Marvel can do whatever they want with their characters - they still own them.

The only thing Marvel can't do is authorize a Spider-Man or X-Men character to appear that has the likeness of their movie version - that would require permission from Fox or Sony.
  • ThaRoadWarrior
    Movie rights and game rights tend to be seperate, yeah. So people saying that you won't get these characters period might want to clarify that you won't be able to get Josh Brolin Cable or Movie Domino as a tie-in, but those characters could easily show up with some sweet sweet Liefeld-ian character art as a soft tie in. #MakeItHappenDevs

I mean unless they can't, i assume that the devs on dischord know more than i do on that front.
  • Dragon_Nexus
    Dragon_Nexus Posts: 3,701 Chairperson of the Boards
    Dormammu said:
    madoctor said:
    Fox is a competitor of Disney and Disney will not actively spend money to promote a competing studios release.
    FYI - Disney bought Fox, though it'll take a while before the dust fully settles on that one and the X-characters return to the control of Marvel Studios.

But you're not wrong. Deadpool 2's producers (moneymakers) are not affiliated with Marvel/Disney and have no connection with MPQ. In fact, currently MPQ legally can't produce content or add characters that have the likeness of Fox's movie characters. This is why we have four Wolverine's in the game but none that look like Hugh Jackman.

Once the sale and transfer of Fox's movie studio is finalized and shifted over to Disney, I suspect things will be different.
    There's the possibility that it might not go through since Comcast has outbid Disney's $52 billion to the tune of $60 billion. So if that goes through, Universal will have all the Fox stuff.

As much as I'd like Disney to get the X-Men and Fantastic Four license back, I don't know if I'd want them to have the Alien or Terminator or Die Hard, nor do I really want them to absorb Dreamworks into the fold.
  • LavaManLee
    LavaManLee Posts: 1,246 Chairperson of the Boards
    I don't know if I'd want them to have the Alien or Terminator or Die Hard, nor do I really want them to absorb Dreamworks into the fold. 
    Dreamworks is owned by Comcast and is not part of the Disney/Fox deal.  There are some distribution issues but the actual studio Dreamworks is owned today by Comcast.
  • Pongie
    Pongie Posts: 1,410 Chairperson of the Boards
    Doesn't have to be a new character. A support based on Domino will do. Luck is a super power and she should increase the odds of the equipped character in tokens or something. 

Can't see Colossus or Jugs or any other characters making it too.
  • purplemur
    purplemur Posts: 454 Mover and Shaker
    They could do a tie in with existing features:
    -I really liked that DP PvP where you could play either 3 or 4 star. I just wish they would add gwen this time around.
    -DPvMPQ seems obvs- 3&4star req'd
    -Colossus boosted all week: 550
    -Daily Crashes
    -36hr 3*DP Lightning Rounds- see Suckarr Arena w/increased bagman&Yelena odds
    -an Enchilada vault with a chance at 5* Enchilada Support token
    -Double iso everything!
  • redviper85
    redviper85 Posts: 62 Match Maker
    Marvel Strike force is overrun by Deadpool....literally all characters on the loading screen are deadpool. His first mission he kicks everyone out and you can only play as deadpool. You heard that right a new release character that you get to play with immediately. Their IW event was pretty decent but i had just starting then so i don't know what the vets thought about it. MPQ is over here giving us a black panther themed 5* early and 5 new supports so if you like unobtainable things I guess that's a positive...right?
  • Quebbster
    Quebbster Posts: 8,070 Chairperson of the Boards
    Marvel Strike force is overrun by Deadpool....literally all characters on the loading screen are deadpool. His first mission he kicks everyone out and you can only play as deadpool. You heard that right a new release character that you get to play with immediately.
    Sounds a lot like what MPQ did back in 2013 when D3adpool was released with the premiere of Deadpool vs MPQ...
  • JHawkInc
    JHawkInc Posts: 2,601 Chairperson of the Boards
    June give us both Cloak & Dagger and Luke Cage Season 2. No guarantee (or even need) for those to have tie-ins, but June still has MCU releases. It'd be a good time to do a Misty Knight (or as I keep hoping, a combo character like R&G with her and Colleen Wing, the Daughters of the Dragon).

Though for that matter, they'd be good candidates for Supports, which would leave the character releases free for non-MCU stuff.