The Hoard: Chrome Rider or Okoye?

Dormammu
Dormammu Posts: 3,531 Chairperson of the Boards
Jessica Jones is the goal, here, at least for me and my hoard. But the news that Okoye will be the next 5-star has thrown a bit of a wrench into my plans. Being a Spider-Man fan I was perfectly content to wait for Chrome Rider to fall out of the latest three, regardless of how good Spider-Man looked, and pull my hoard when it was Iron Spider/LumberCap/JJ.

But it's not going to be Iron Spider. It's this Okoye lady whom I know nothing about beyond the fact that she's from Wakanda.

Now, the Jessica Jones window is slowly closing. So my question to all my fellow hoarders out there is:
     Chrome Rider or Okoye?

Comments

• MrCroaker64
    MrCroaker64 Posts: 70 Match Maker
    I don't track the timing on these things all that well, but since Okoye is going to be the 5*, and I guess Iron Spider will be the next 4*, couldn't you wait until Iron Spider goes into packs? Then, you would have more of a hoard to pull. Jessica would still have some time in the Latest. And you would have the increased odds (small as they are) to pull the Iron Spider covers as well.

-Croak
  • Richyyy
    Richyyy Posts: 305 Mover and Shaker
    edited May 2018
    I have the same question, actually. Looking to finish off my 2/4/2 JJ one way or another, but not hugely enthused about GRRR or Okoye, so would appreciate opinions on which one to go with. I've seen people suggest that Rider's useful for PvE, but from the descriptions of his powers I'm struggling to see it.

I'm tempted to skip him because if I end up with a half-finished Okoye when JJ's done I can re-hoard and potentially pull again when it's Okoye/X/Y if she seems worth it.
  • Dormammu
    .. Iron Spider will be the next 4*, couldn't you wait until Iron Spider goes into packs?
    Iron Spider is no longer a consideration. 4-stars are easy enough to cover. It's all about who will be a better 5-star to potentially fully cover by blowing the hoard. I know we don't know enough about Okoye yet; unfortunately, like Richyyy, neither she nor Chrome Rider excite me but that's the choice before us if we want to get Jessica covered.
  • MrCroaker64
    MrCroaker64 Posts: 70 Match Maker
    I misunderstood. From your comments it seemed like you wanted Iron Spider regardless. In that case, I think I would go after GR myself.

- Croak
  • Dormammu
    I'm leaning that way myself.
  • Daredevil217
    Daredevil217 Posts: 3,893 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited May 2018
    I really don’t know what to do with my hoard situation of about 160 pulls. 

None of my 5s have iso in them but I have four cover-maxed: DD, Gambit, GG, and Thor. 

Jessica is at 11, and just like all of you, is priority #1. I really want to avoid BeardCap as much as I can (just not high on him).

Robbie is 3/4/4. I’m thinking I could bonus my level 274 4* Rider and when he is inevitably made a feeder I’d have a 4/4/4 Robbie. Then I can bonus to finish at anytime without going to deep into the hoard. Is this a bad idea?

The reason Jess is so high, is because of the Alias store. It helped me max Goblin and get Panther from 1 cover to 8 (now 9 with feeder- 2/3/4). Is it worth pulling in the Okoye store for Panther? My Parker is 4/2/0 sadly (level 305 Vulture). 

I’m leaning toward leaving Robbie at 3/4/4, skipping the Okoye store, pulling for 2 Jessica when Robbie leaves, trying to skip Cap as much as I can, and pulling for Okoye/X/X after Cap leaves (if she’s a broken as people say she is). The question is would I have enough pulls?  Might end up skipping Okoye too if I don’t. Thoughts?
  • Daredevil217
    @Daredevil217 you always seem to have a big hoard lol. If it were me, I'd pull in the Okoye store for both Okoye and BP. Then wait until Ghosty leaves Latests, before resuming pulling from Latests for both Jessica and Okoye
    I just don't know if I'll have enough pulls to cover her before she leaves.  I average about 2 to 2.5 a day.
  • Quebbster
    Quebbster Posts: 8,070 Chairperson of the Boards

I definitely prefer Okoye over Ghost Rider, but the fact that my Ghost Rider is already champed may play into it. :)

It's really a question of who to play with them. I already rely heavily on Gambit and Thor, and with those two Ghost Rider is pretty redundant - Thor's green is usually better and Gambit stops any other red, leaving Ghost Rider with only his black (which is pretty good, admittedly, but not great).

Okoye, on the other hand... her passive looks good enough to play with them at least on and off.

My main priority is Jessica Jones though, only have Three covers for her (and nine for LumberCap, go figure...). She looks plenty good to play with Gamthor. :)

• Daredevil217
    edited May 2018
    Update. 11 pulls from the Okoye store:

1. America Chavez (G)
    - Bonus Ghost Rider (G)
    2. Red Hulk (G)
    3. Black Panther (Y)
    4. TA Hulk (G)
    5. Gamora (Blu)
    6. Black Panther (R)
    7. Carnage (Bla)
    8. Valkyrie (Y)
    9. Red Hulk (R)
    - Bonus Ghost Rider (R)
    10. Spider-Man (G)
    11. Okoye (Y)

Realized that Panther Red is his 5th (2/4/5) and have to stop pulling unfortunately. Great great pulls when I usually don’t fare so well!

So now wait for Robbie to rotate, try to finish Jess, then hoard like crazy for when Okoye is set to leave. 

Edit: forgot I pulled Yondu from my vault token before pulling with CP. 

• Daredevil217
    Nice pulls. Now you just need to get 4* BP up to lv300 lol
    That would put him at 2/5/6, correct?

cause I’ve already got the first feeder cover. 
  • dramatist
    dramatist Posts: 218 Tile Toppler

None of my 5s have iso in them but I have four cover-maxed: DD, Gambit, GG, and Thor. 

Jessica is at 11, and just like all of you, is priority #1. I really want to avoid BeardCap as much as I can (just not high on him).

Robbie is 3/4/4. I’m thinking I could bonus my level 274 4* Rider and when he is inevitably made a feeder I’d have a 4/4/4 Robbie. Then I can bonus to finish at anytime without going to deep into the hoard. Is this a bad idea?

The reason Jess is so high, is because of the Alias store. It helped me max Goblin and get Panther from 1 cover to 8 (now 9 with feeder- 2/3/4). Is it worth pulling in the Okoye store for Panther? My Parker is 4/2/0 sadly (level 305 Vulture). 

I’m leaning toward leaving Robbie at 3/4/4, skipping the Okoye store, pulling for 2 Jessica when Robbie leaves, trying to skip Cap as much as I can, and pulling for Okoye/X/X after Cap leaves (if she’s a broken as people say she is). The question is would I have enough pulls?  Might end up skipping Okoye too if I don’t. Thoughts?
    Here are my thoughts based on my experiences. You should have no trouble finishing JJ with your pulls. We’re in close to the same place in the game but you’re passing me by playing more. 

I play PvE to top 50 and only dabble in PvP. Sometime around October last year I managed to fully cover Silver Surfer. I was not wanting to move to 5* land so I switched to pulling Latests instead of Classics. I’ve managed to cover all the Latests from Daredevil through Ghost Rider. I barely finished Daredevil and Gambit while they were in Latest. I finished Thor with about two weeks to go and Archangel when he had about a month left. When Archangel was replaced by LumberCap in Latest in had 72 pulls saved up and got Ghost Rider to 12 covers. I got his 13th the next morning from the Deadpool clash token. I’m hoarding again, probably until Ghost Rider is replaced by Okoye. Jessica Jones is at 10 covers and LumberCap has six. 

I’m getting ready to move into the 5* tier and when I do I will eventually have many choices (after needing so, so much Iso). I know that Ghost Rider and Archangel are not great but it’s nicer to have their covers than not. 

If I were you I’d pull until you finish Ghost Rider, then hoard until he leaves before you try to finish Jessica Jones. 
  • Richyyy
    Richyyy Posts: 305 Mover and Shaker
    Funnily enough, the RNG gods presented me with two Okoye covers from the three Don't Freeze tokens, but I'm not even sure which direction that should nudge me in. Consider it a start for Okoye and go with her; or be happy that I can do her required nodes already, and pull for GRRR instead.
  • Quebbster
    Quebbster Posts: 8,070 Chairperson of the Boards
    Richyyy said:
    Funnily enough, the RNG gods presented me with two Okoye covers from the three Don't Freeze tokens, but I'm not even sure which direction that should nudge me in. Consider it a start for Okoye and go with her; or be happy that I can do her required nodes already, and pull for GRRR instead.
    From what I hear Okoye is performing very well, I would definitely go for her over Robbie.
  • Jarvind
    Jarvind Posts: 1,684 Chairperson of the Boards
    Ghost Rider looks beastly until you actually get a chance to use his green. It sounds like it'll work the way Gladiator Thor does, until you realize that 90% of the time the countdowns will rapidly clear their way to the bottom of the board (if they don't spawn there to begin with) and then sit there doing nothing.
  • scottee
    scottee Posts: 1,609 Chairperson of the Boards
    Jarvind said:
    Ghost Rider looks beastly until you actually get a chance to use his green. It sounds like it'll work the way Gladiator Thor does, until you realize that 90% of the time the countdowns will rapidly clear their way to the bottom of the board (if they don't spawn there to begin with) and then sit there doing nothing.
    It's true if a match goes long enough, his green repeaters end up at the bottom. The thing is, I've found that once I launch his green, the match is over in the next couple of turns. I'm running him with Gambit, and with picking up extra red for him, and black for GR, that's enough to finish any 5* team. His high match damage, which gets doubled for his green tick damage, does about as much damage as a red nuke. Plus the AP it gives Gambit is another red nuke, and GR's black is about as strong as a red nuke. So GR's 9 green AP does the work of 21 red Gambit AP in that team.

• Pongie
    Pongie Posts: 1,410 Chairperson of the Boards
    I almost wiped to GR when there was 5 green count downs on the board. It was my gambit, thanos and angel vs gambit, ghost rider and angel. My angel was downed fairly quick cause I didn’t heal before the battle. My gambit was next because I was paying attention to his red ap. It was a race for my thanos to down angel before gambit gets red off again. Court death bought me some more time, and only a lucky cascade took gambit down. At this point there were several green countdowns on the board and it was one on one. Health wise both were in the 20k range. I had to deny black and prioritise purple so that I can lock out ghost rider powers and green from shaking the board. Barely got there
  • thedarkphoenix
    thedarkphoenix Posts: 556 Critical Contributor
    GR green is either super good or almost useless, if you have a board shuffle its a bit better. His red is pretty useless to me unless your fighting on big bad enemy that matches, otherwise its my least fave. 

his black on the other hand is nice, 14k to an enemy and 20k if they did the most damage for 10 black

If you dont have a thor he's a great fill, if you do he's ok to come off the bench every now and then. The thing is most green's in 5 land are really really good and do massive AOE or something like it.

I actually wish I would have waited personally but that's more so be GR is kind of redundant for me and I'm not a huge fan.

5/3/5 is the way to go imo.
  • broll
    broll Posts: 4,732 Chairperson of the Boards
    Okoye seems the obvious choice to me.
  • Daredevil217
    edited May 2018
    dramatist said:

Here are my thoughts based on my experiences. You should have no trouble finishing JJ with your pulls. We’re in close to the same place in the game but you’re passing me by playing more. 

I play PvE to top 50 and only dabble in PvP. Sometime around October last year I managed to fully cover Silver Surfer. I was not wanting to move to 5* land so I switched to pulling Latests instead of Classics. I’ve managed to cover all the Latests from Daredevil through Ghost Rider. I barely finished Daredevil and Gambit while they were in Latest. I finished Thor with about two weeks to go and Archangel when he had about a month left. When Archangel was replaced by LumberCap in Latest in had 72 pulls saved up and got Ghost Rider to 12 covers. I got his 13th the next morning from the Deadpool clash token. I’m hoarding again, probably until Ghost Rider is replaced by Okoye. Jessica Jones is at 10 covers and LumberCap has six. 

I’m getting ready to move into the 5* tier and when I do I will eventually have many choices (after needing so, so much Iso). I know that Ghost Rider and Archangel are not great but it’s nicer to have their covers than not. 

If I were you I’d pull until you finish Ghost Rider, then hoard until he leaves before you try to finish Jessica Jones. 
    Yeah we’re almost in the same place except I made the choice not to finish Angel (5/3/3- will lose my first feeder cover) and will do the same for GR5 (3/4/4). My GR4 has been bonused and is 4 away from 280. So if he’s named a feeder, my Robbie will be 4/4/4. I’m more than okay with that because if I ever do jump to the 5 tier (no hurry here) I’d want to invest in DD, Gambit, Thor, Jessica before Robbie... maybe Goblin too, and Panther if I can find a way to finish him. That’s a lot of iso and by the time I get the trillion I need, I could easily bonus GR5 and finish him. 

Jessica is my main target because I love the character (same as DD) but waiting to open has little to do with her as she’ll easily be covered. Waiting to open is all about Okoye. Early rumblings are saying she’s the next Gambit. To me she’s worth holding out for. I’m planning to skip lumbercap (as much as I can. Tried with Angel and got 11 covers lol), as he seems kind of weak to me.

So many people think the 5 tier is unplayable without Gambit. Can you imagine if/when he gets nerfed, trying to play without Okoye?  I think it’s makes sense to do what you can to cover her and I’d suggest others do the same!  Seeing as how she’s just entering tokens and will be there for months I’m sure I’ll be fine either way but even if I am those are still pulls toward maybe a better character and if not, I still have an avenue to GR5. 

• Rogue4Lyfe
    Rogue4Lyfe Posts: 43 Just Dropped In
    Okoye depends alot on Team Up Ap to be spot on.
    Robbie Reyes has 3 Actives powers, not bad but not good either. He's quite a flat character.

If you are a pro AP god (Manage Team Up AP) choose Okoye.