Which Marvel licensed game is your favourite?

twistmonkey
twistmonkey Posts: 79 Match Maker
A lot of talk on line / discord about other Marvel games taking away audience from MPQ recently, so I'm genuinely curious if others are playing or planning to play other Marvel licensed games in the future.

Feel free to elaborate below in the comments with pros / cons of both games.

Which Marvel licensed game is your favourite? 52 votes

Marvel Puzzle Quest
76%
DormammuakboyceafsplatthedarkphoenixSymmeTreyStevO-JTrilateralusgravelbobby_2613BasepuzzlerCyberVenom2001n25phillyErunner1201evade420Alfje17MirrorKnightshadowyoshiSteve111StraycatScreen Monkey 40 votes
Marvel Strike Force
15%
Dartmaster01johnnyzeroTalestummyOrionMr BaconPhilly484Jabrony_Geofftwistmonkey 8 votes
Marvel Contest of Champions
3%
dave7099Bohemond 2 votes
Marvel Future Fight
0%
Other (please explain below)
3%
vinsensualHistamiel 2 votes

Comments

• NotBAMF
    NotBAMF Posts: 408 Mover and Shaker
    Marvel Puzzle Quest
    MPQ is the only one I play. I can't imagine any reality where I would have time to play this game AND virtually anything else. Hell, I haven't even touched my PS4 in months, and it's less than a year old. This game is too time consuming.
  • twistmonkey
    twistmonkey Posts: 79 Match Maker
    Marvel Strike Force
    I'll get the ball rolling, been playing MSF for around a month and loving it so far compared to MPQ. I don't want to turn this into a 'what's wrong with MPQ' as that's covered in other threads, so I'll do a quick comparison between MSF and MPQ, feel free to do the same.

Strike Force - pros:
    • Infinity war tie in - they released a new set of raids, a new character and new events, and were very generous with shard payouts. From the sounds of things something similar is due to happen today to celebrate the release of Deadpool 2.
    • Customer Service - responsive and communicative, quick to compensate if something has gone wrong or explain a game mechanic.
    • Dev updates - devs are quick to close loopholes and bugs and communicate upcoming changes weeks in advance. They added a new type of orb (equivalent to a token in MPQ) recently, as well as new characters being added regularly
    • Multiple play modes - two types of PVP, normal PVE campaign, daily challenges, alliance raids (with more to come)
    • Variety - due to the different play modes, team building and strategy actually play a part in how you approach each fight
    • Time commitment - at the moment I'm playing MSF around 1 hour per day, split up when it's convenient for me and not on a strict pre-set timer
    • Team work - the higher level raids require alliance coordination and actual team work and tactics. Only equivalent in MPQ I can think of is the Civil War boss event where you have to coordinate in order to finish both sides
    Strike Force - cons:
    • Not a fan of the 'energy' mechanic to limit your play. Flip side of this is that you have to be tactical with which matches you play and don't play
    • Limited number of characters - given how long the game has been out this isn't surprising and they are adding more regularly (to be fair, same as MPQ)
    • Bugs - it has a couple annoying (not game breaking) bugs at the moment, especially with raid battles freezing up. Similar to above point, this is possibly just a function of how long the game has been out. Also if you contact CS when this occurs they're very good about sending you some free energy to compensate
    • Black Widow shards just refuse to drop for me!!!
  • Shintok17
    Shintok17 Posts: 620 Critical Contributor
    edited May 2018
    Marvel Puzzle Quest
    Marvel Puzzle Quest is the only mobile game I play. It has been this way for 288 days now. This game does take up a lot of your time if you play every aspect of it and are fully immersed in it. I usually concentrate on one game at a time until it either becomes too much pay to play, get bored, or have to cut myself off due to the addiction affecting my financial stability. I like to concentrate all my time and effort to being Great at one game than being just OK on many games at one time.
  • gravel
    gravel Posts: 585 Critical Contributor
    Marvel Puzzle Quest
    I haven't tried Strike Force, I think I tried one of the other ones but don't remember which.  I did try the DC game that was (I think) similar to Strike Force (Heroes), and while it was fun for a while, it eventually became a chore and was deleted.  To be fair, I've been playing more Fortnite lately than anything, which takes my time and attention from my mobile games.  I also am waiting for the US release of DC Unchained, but I have no clue when that is coming.

With all the talk about Strike Force around here, don't they have their own forum for people to post on?
  • Dormammu
    Dormammu Posts: 3,531 Chairperson of the Boards
    Marvel Puzzle Quest
    Marvel Puzzle Quest is the only mobile game I've played consistently since its launch in 2013. It's the only game currently installed on my phone, which is my preferred platform since I like having access to the game whenever and wherever I am.

I did try out Marvel Strike Force on my tablet to see what all the fuss was about, but as soon as I saw that it was a direct clone of a certain type of game I don't really enjoy and had a restrictive 'energy' play gate I immediately uninstalled.
  • Straycat
    Straycat Posts: 963 Critical Contributor
    Marvel Puzzle Quest
    Just waiting on Spiderman for PS4.
    I play some other mobile games, I'm on level 3302 on Candy Crush. I enjoy Spiderman Unlimited, but its gameplay is less varied and similar to other endless runners whereas MPQ is different than other match 3s.
  • Trilateralus
    Trilateralus Posts: 251 Mover and Shaker
    Marvel Puzzle Quest
    Not sure what all the hype about Marvel Strike Force is about. Tried it a while back and dropped it after a day or so. If you think MPQ is repetitive and grindy MSF is way worse. 
  • crackninja
    crackninja Posts: 444 Mover and Shaker
    Marvel Puzzle Quest
    There are many MPQ players that have played for years and are getting worn down a bit.  Marvel Strike Force is new and shiny, and specifically feels like it addresses things people don't like about MPQ.  Some players will go and never come back.  Personally, Strike Force is just not engaging in the way that MPQ is.
  • SymmeTrey
    SymmeTrey Posts: 170 Tile Toppler
    Marvel Puzzle Quest
    I played MSF for about 2 weeks and lost interest. It was good if you like that sort of game, but, I prefer the match-3 component. I enjoy the core gameplay of match-3 and having it matched to Marvel characters is awesome.

I eventually found that most of my MSF playtime was spent auto-playing nodes to farm resources, which just wasn't that fun for me and even the matches themselves were just kind of "ok" for me. The animations were awesome at first, but, became tiresome.

MPQ has its share of issues, but, has a lot of strong points too and the actual act of playing the game is fun for me... I've come to find that is essential for these freemium games. It's easy to fall into the "quest for more" and you don't even enjoy playing whatever the game is any more. It's really about finding the right game "for you" instead of finding the perfect game.
  • vinsensual
    vinsensual Posts: 458 Mover and Shaker
    I miss Marvel Heroes, I could spend hours just mindlessly looping midtown madness.
  • Dormammu
    Dormammu Posts: 3,531 Chairperson of the Boards
    Marvel Puzzle Quest
    The problem so many mobile games suffer from, and I believe MSF falls into this category, is agonizing repetition. That moment when you realize you've hit the same button, to see the same animation, against the same opponent, with the same result, too many times. You do it for that dangling carrot of making your roster stronger. Then there's that moment when you realize your reward for a stronger roster is stronger opponents. Sometimes those opponents are so strong that you've hit a wall and can't progress without paying $$$ for it. Unless you can go back and re-grind previous content. But you can't really do that either, because now you're out of 'energy'.

This is where MPQ succeeds, and why it has thrived for 5 years when so many other games (Marvel IPs included) have come and gone. Sure it has its repetition, like meeting Rocket & Groot over and over, or fighting against Daken/Bullseye/Moonstone a million times. But I can honestly say no match I've ever played has been exactly the same as any other. As for an 'energy' gate, which in MPQ's case is Health, once your roster reaches a certain point it no longer becomes an obstacle which prevents you from playing as much as you like. 
  • Erunner1201
    Erunner1201 Posts: 32 Just Dropped In
    Marvel Puzzle Quest
    I really like MPQ which is why I have stuck with it for the last 4+ years.  I also play MSF and it is definitely fun due to being the new shiny object.  MPQ has had it's fair share of good and bad times and, while I am not excited about the most recent developments, I'm still happy to play and get the resources I need to champion the 4* and 5* characters that I am still getting covers for.  I am a completionist and the game still remains fun for me as I try to champ all the characters.
  • Histamiel
    Histamiel Posts: 166 Tile Toppler
    I used to play Marvel Avengers Alliance, I think it was the Marvel game with the best stories (they were written by Alex Irvine). I like MPQ. I start play MPQ regularly when MAA shut down.

• Ducky
    Ducky Posts: 2,255 Community Moderator
    **As this thread isn't specifically about MPQ, I'm going to go ahead a move it over to the Other Games forum**
  • Waddles_Pines
    Waddles_Pines Posts: 1,188 Chairperson of the Boards
    Marvel Puzzle Quest
    I've played MPQ longer than anything ever.  Sure it has it's ups and downs, but what game doesn't?  Plus, it's the only Match 3 game I can think of where you're not limited by lives/energy or are forced to watch ads for more turns.  I mean really, how many F2P games overall don't force ads down your throat.  That, and IAP ads aren't over the top, it doesn't remind you every single time you play to buy buy buy...

Oh, part of me misses Marvel Tsum Tsum haha
  • gravel
    gravel Posts: 585 Critical Contributor
    Marvel Puzzle Quest
    I miss Marvel Heroes, I could spend hours just mindlessly looping midtown madness.
    I only got in to Marvel Heroes on the PS4, and mostly after they announced they were shutting it down.  I had a blast, of course, being able to unlock just about everything for free probably helped, but I also barely scratched the surface of the characters I wanted to test out and level up.  It didn't help that they shut the servers down much earlier than they said they were going to.
  • Jabrony_Geoff
    Jabrony_Geoff Posts: 378 Mover and Shaker
    edited May 2018
    Marvel Strike Force
    I'll get the ball rolling, been playing MSF for around a month and loving it so far compared to MPQ. I don't want to turn this into a 'what's wrong with MPQ' as that's covered in other threads, so I'll do a quick comparison between MSF and MPQ, feel free to do the same.

Strike Force - pros:
    • Infinity war tie in - they released a new set of raids, a new character and new events, and were very generous with shard payouts. From the sounds of things something similar is due to happen today to celebrate the release of Deadpool 2.
    • Customer Service - responsive and communicative, quick to compensate if something has gone wrong or explain a game mechanic.
    • Dev updates - devs are quick to close loopholes and bugs and communicate upcoming changes weeks in advance. They added a new type of orb (equivalent to a token in MPQ) recently, as well as new characters being added regularly
    • Multiple play modes - two types of PVP, normal PVE campaign, daily challenges, alliance raids (with more to come)
    • Variety - due to the different play modes, team building and strategy actually play a part in how you approach each fight
    • Time commitment - at the moment I'm playing MSF around 1 hour per day, split up when it's convenient for me and not on a strict pre-set timer
    • Team work - the higher level raids require alliance coordination and actual team work and tactics. Only equivalent in MPQ I can think of is the Civil War boss event where you have to coordinate in order to finish both sides
    Strike Force - cons
    • Limited number of characters - given how long the game has been out this isn't surprising and they are adding more regularly (to be fair, same as MPQ)
    Marvel strike force is my favourite ATM. 
    I honestly think I'm done with MPQ.
    The grind has finished me off completely.
    I'm hanging in there hoping I get a new burst of energy for the game but it's not happening.

The infinity war tie in was an absolute slap in the face for lovers of marvel.
    10 years in the making and all MPQ come up with is two duplicate covers already in the game. That hurt.

Twist monkey you forget on mothers day MSF rewarded us with shards for Jessica Jones.
    They said if it wasnt for mothers we wouldn't be here. I thought it was a nice touch.
    I Don't think MPQ have recognized our mothers in all the yrs I've played it.

I agree with your pros Twistmonkey.

Disagree with this con.

I don't want more characters in strike force.
    Just think about what we have here in MPQ.
    All these covers and sweet FA to do with them.
      :)
    #MakeMarvelMine

• skittledaddy
    skittledaddy Posts: 968 Critical Contributor
    Marvel Puzzle Quest
    Love MPQ. It's the only game-app I still play.
    Used to play Contest of Champions, but the button-mash got old and most importantly their servers couldn't support the game. Kept dropping connections. At first I thought it was my device/WiFi, but then they started admitting it to everyone and giving out "apology rewards".
    Have never played any of the others.
  • Moon Roach
    Moon Roach Posts: 2,863 Chairperson of the Boards

I've had a go at Strike Force.  It's kind of fun, though I have no idea what I'm doing or what constitutes optimum play.

What I have noticed is that it uses a ridiculous amount of data, so Wi-Fi only play for me, if and when I play it.