I acquired a job! :D

0_efx_0
0_efx_0 Posts: 236 Tile Toppler
I now have a 9 to 5 job. I play less, can’t keep up in PVE and at time PVP.
Lets make PVP shorter, get rid of 1st weak 3 nodes. Or just leave one weak node.
Bump up points and prizes for the 3 main nodes. Bump up points for required character nodes.
Now I’ll have time to play. Eat. Workout. And sleep. 
How do you all get by playing PVE and PVP without having real life kick in and give you little room for MPQ?

Comments

• evade420
    evade420 Posts: 440 Mover and Shaker
    edited May 2018
    I think it will largely depend on roster , I work 10 hour days and have three kids , so I basically only play at night once the kids are asleep.  I only get 2-3 hours of gamming a day, But with a 5* roster i still manage 1.2x progression in scl9 pve and 1.2k in pvp, no stress
  • Rod5
    Rod5 Posts: 585 Critical Contributor
    Ditto. With a roster that includes champed Thanos and Thor, PvE is less of a grind, more a speed-run.

PvP I spend as much time as I can spare for it, be it a couple of hours late push to 1.2 or longer if I have time for a bigger score.
  • 0_efx_0
    For those struggling to reach *5 land it gets tedious. Which I can handle, but no longer is it easy with a job. The balance is off.
  • JaGo
    JaGo Posts: 93 Match Maker
    edited May 2018
    Oh well, let me introduce you the real world. 0_efx_0, meet the real world, real world meet 0_efx_0.

A tinykitty ton of MPQ players have full time real world jobs. I think a lot of players forget that.

-Jago

*Removed profanity - Ducky
  • 0_efx_0
    Hahaha I never said the real world was the problem. Jago quotes himself as Jago? 
    The problem is I have other things do, like workout, cook dinner, shower, socialize and I love this game. The game play time is a bit too long at times. Can you understand that aspect? Or will you try to be more condescending and involve little to no help in this thread? 

- 0_efx_0
  • Pr0spect0r
    Pr0spect0r Posts: 291 Mover and Shaker
    0_efx_0 said:
    Hahaha I never said the real world was the problem. Jago quotes himself as Jago? 
    The problem is I have other things do, like workout, cook dinner, shower, socialize and I love this game. The game play time is a bit too long at times. Can you understand that aspect? Or will you try to be more condescending and involve little to no help in this thread? 

- 0_efx_0
    I think the point he was trying to make is that everyone has this problem and no it's not going to change
  • 0_efx_0
    0_efx_0 said:

- 0_efx_0
    I think the point he was trying to make is that everyone has this problem and no it's not going to change
    Oh :o
  • ammenell
    ammenell Posts: 817 Critical Contributor
    i play pve until I reach the cp reward after the 4* cover and pvp to 575.
    i have about 70% of the 4* tier champed.

also, I only play while commuting and pooping. 
  • evade420
    0_efx_0 said:

- 0_efx_0
    You never know something might change,  I mean we've just recently been giving the option to turn off animations. That saves a huge amount of time , I can't imagine doing the pve grind with them on anymore, it would take forever 
  • Daiches
    Daiches Posts: 1,252 Chairperson of the Boards
    According a lot of previous posts, and from Line, most players on the forums and Line (and thus among the most active ones in high level play) are between 30-40, highly educated, with jobs and family. 

• Shintok17
    Shintok17 Posts: 620 Critical Contributor
    It's called time management and circumstance. I have a full time Mon-Fri 40hr a week job, a wife, and kids. I find time to play PVE and PVP consistently. It's all about working MPQ into your schedule. At first it was hard then I made the game work for me instead of me working for it. I separated my PVE time and PVP time using the time slices. It also becomes easier as your roster progresses. MPQ is my main hobby, because my other time is dedicated to my family and work. I don't hang out with friends, don't drink, or smoke so this game is a safe fun relaxing alternative to those things, that I can do anywhere and at anytime. Don't let the game control your personal life, because after all it's just a mobile game that will be shut down one day, but those life experiences and people you neglected will always stay with you. Then you would be left with regret. 
  • Calnexin
    Calnexin Posts: 1,078 Chairperson of the Boards
    Now that you have an income, you can replace the time spent playing with in-game purchases to keep pace!  It's a win-win!

Kidding.  As with anyone who is not independently wealthy with no responsibilities, you just have to manage your expectations.  Shift your goals from "need" to "want", and don't sweat top placement.  Find a time that works for you to play and try to find a comfortable slacker bracket where you can still place decently without having to mind the clock so much.

Or you could bring you device to work and take really long bathroom breaks, but I don't recommend that.  Your supervisor will notice eventually.
  • JackTenrec
    JackTenrec Posts: 808 Critical Contributor
    I've got a 9 to 5 (but no kids) and don't bother with PvP.  It's pretty easy (if often annoying) to hit progression if you play some (but not necessarily all) of the nodes optimally at the start of the sub, which builds additional slack into the rest of the event (the progression targets are based on 5 immediate clears without points regeneration).  If you ignore placement entirely, you can pretty much play whenever you want as long as you can cough up the aggregate time required.
  • abmoraz
    abmoraz Posts: 712 Critical Contributor
    edited May 2018
    0_efx_0 said:

- 0_efx_0
    Honest answer with little-to-no snark:

(all times EST) I work 9a-6p.  I do the PvE that ends at 11pm.  It takes ~2hrs to run the first 4 clears at 11pm (takes me to 1am).  I go to bed.  I get up at 8am, get breakfast/shower/shave/etc... and go to work (I have a very short commute).  Over lunch, I do the DDQ.  I might do a Lightning round if they are available that day.  When I get home, I do all the cooking/cleaning/play other games/etc...  At 9pm, I do HQ Trivia.  When that is over, I usually mess around until 9:45 (if on SCL9) or 10:15 (if on SCL6 because I don't have the required 5*).  Then I speed run the last 2-3 clears and start all over.

Previously, I would do the PvP's for 30-45 minutes on the last day in slice 6 (the one that ends at 2am or 3am) after finishing the 4x PvE runs by jumping in at the last moment, sniping 70+ point matches until I hit 575 and just stopping.  THis pushed my bedtime back to 1:30-2am. 

Recently, I've been trying jumping in with around 18-24hrs left on slice 1, 2, or 3 (depending on my schedule).  I've been able to rush to 900 or 1000, use a 24hr shield and walk away.  It seems to work a bit better and my 2* and 3* farms keep me with enough HP that I'm not running out.

Saturday afternoons (while watching College Football (fall) or Hockey (winter/spring) or netflix) I do my Season Simulator.  The first weekend(~21 days left), I skip it.  The second weekend (~14 days left), I use my skips to find opponents worth 74 (leaving the 75 pointers on the vine).  Once I get I break 1000 points, I stop (no shields).  The third weekend (~7 days left), I'll usually get hit enough to take me down to ~750.  I hit the biggest (again, avoiding 75 pointers until they drop to 74 or 73) until I get to 1600.  Then I stop again (no shields).  On the last weekend (1ish day left) I finish the climb to 2000 points for the free card.  If I'm close to a season progression level (where the last event that ends on Sunday would put me over), I'll shield.  If not, I don't bother wasting the HP.

I don't really care about top placement awards, just progression, so if you are/were a competitive player, this isn't going to work for you.  This method gets me top 50-100, occasionally (rarely) top 20 in the events, and that's plenty good for me.
  • Quebbster
    Quebbster Posts: 8,070 Chairperson of the Boards
    abmoraz said:
    0_efx_0 said:

- 0_efx_0

(all times EST) I work 9a-6p.  I do the PvE that ends at 11pm.  It takes ~2hrs to run the first 4 clears at 11pm (takes me to 1am).  I go to bed.  I get up at 8am, get breakfast/shower/shave/etc... and go to work (I have a very short commute).  Over lunch, I do the DDQ.  I might do a Lightning round if they are available that day.  When I get home, I do all the cooking/cleaning/play other games/etc...  At 9pm, I do HQ Trivia.  When that is over, I usually mess around until 9:45 (if on SCL9) or 10:15 (if on SCL6 because I don't have the required 5*).  Then I speed run the last 2-3 clears and start all over.

Previously, I would do the PvP's for 30-45 minutes on the last day in slice 6 (the one that ends at 2am or 3am) after finishing the 4x PvE runs by jumping in at the last moment, sniping 70+ point matches until I hit 575 and just stopping.  THis pushed my bedtime back to 1:30-2am. 

Recently, I've been trying jumping in with around 18-24hrs left on slice 1, 2, or 3 (depending on my schedule).  I've been able to rush to 900 or 1000, use a 24hr shield and walk away.  It seems to work a bit better and my 2* and 3* farms keep me with enough HP that I'm not running out.

Saturday afternoons (while watching College Football (fall) or Hockey (winter/spring) or netflix) I do my Season Simulator.  The first weekend(~21 days left), I skip it.  The second weekend (~14 days left), I use my skips to find opponents worth 74 (leaving the 75 pointers on the vine).  Once I get I break 1000 points, I stop (no shields).  The third weekend (~7 days left), I'll usually get hit enough to take me down to ~750.  I hit the biggest (again, avoiding 75 pointers until they drop to 74 or 73) until I get to 1600.  Then I stop again (no shields).  On the last weekend (1ish day left) I finish the climb to 2000 points for the free card.  If I'm close to a season progression level (where the last event that ends on Sunday would put me over), I'll shield.  If not, I don't bother wasting the HP.

I don't really care about top placement awards, just progression, so if you are/were a competitive player, this isn't going to work for you.  This method gets me top 50-100, occasionally (rarely) top 20 in the events, and that's plenty good for me.
    Two hours seems excessive for the initial PvE grind. Do you do it all in one sitting or do you play off and on? Is dropping to a lower SCL an option?
  • evade420
    Quebbster said:
    abmoraz said:
    0_efx_0 said:

- 0_efx_0

Two hours seems excessive for the initial PvE grind. Do you do it all in one sitting or do you play off and on? Is dropping to a lower SCL an option?
    that is way too long try a lower scl. 4 clears should only take between 25-45 minutes depending on the event
  • abmoraz

evade420 said:
    Quebbster said:
    abmoraz said:
    0_efx_0 said:

that is way too long try a lower scl. 4 clears should only take between 25-45 minutes depending on the event

I generally always play while watching TV or podcasts (not just the PvE grind, but PvP, lightning, DDQ, etc...), so it's never an ideal run, however, I'm not trying for placement.  I regularly get top 100 (20% of the time top-50) and that is good enough for me, so I don't give a rat's-tinykitty(?) about how long it takes.  Why should I lower my guaranteed progression rewards and drop down SCL for potential (but not guaranteed) placement awards just because you think it takes too long?

OP asked how does one fit in working full-time with playing.  I posted how I do it.  I wasn't looking for min-maxs or critiques.
  • evade420
    abmoraz said:

evade420 said:
    Quebbster said:
    abmoraz said:
    0_efx_0 said:

I generally always play while watching TV or podcasts (not just the PvE grind, but PvP, lightning, DDQ, etc...), so it's never an ideal run, however, I'm not trying for placement.  I regularly get top 100 (20% of the time top-50) and that is good enough for me, so I don't give a rat's-tinykitty(?) about how long it takes.  Why should I lower my guaranteed progression rewards and drop down SCL for potential (but not guaranteed) placement awards just because you think it takes too long?

OP asked how does one fit in working full-time with playing.  I posted how I do it.  I wasn't looking for min-maxs or critiques.
    easy there , it was only a suggestion . if your'e happy with the way you play then i'm happy for you.
    if you're watching TV and doing other things while playing the game then that makes perfect sense, by what you said I pictured someone sitting there struggling through 4 clears intensely over 2 hours, which would lead to major burn out.
    you'll find I rarely ever come to the forums to criticize , sorry if it came across as such
  • abmoraz
    evade420 said:
    abmoraz said:

evade420 said:
    Quebbster said:
    abmoraz said:
    0_efx_0 said:

easy there , it was only a suggestion . if your'e happy with the way you play then i'm happy for you.
    if you're watching TV and doing other things while playing the game then that makes perfect sense, by what you said I pictured someone sitting there struggling through 4 clears intensely over 2 hours, which would lead to major burn out.
    you'll find I rarely ever come to the forums to criticize , sorry if it came across as such
    Sorry, I just came out of the PvP etiquette (or lack-there-of) Discussion and was angry from there.  You unfairly got a response when I was on egde.  Please accept my apology.

• evade420
    abmoraz said:
    evade420 said:
    abmoraz said:

evade420 said:
    Quebbster said:
    abmoraz said:
    0_efx_0 said:

Sorry, I just came out of the PvP etiquette (or lack-there-of) Discussion and was angry from there.  You unfairly got a response when I was on egde.  Please accept my apology.

Thank you i appreciate that!