Is there a definitive etiquette for PvP?

Dragon_Nexus
Dragon_Nexus Posts: 3,701 Chairperson of the Boards
Getting messages off someone about how I conduct myself in PvP and I wanted to get some feedback.

My strategy is to leap on about 24 hours before the end, do a single climb up to 1000 points and then slap a 24hour shield down and be done with it. I aim for players with 38+ points to get it over with quicker and the way the MMR works is generally it's about 20 people maybe that are worth fighting, and since they all use Gambit and Thor it's difficult to remember all the user names. The rest are usually 20-30 pointers that would screw me over in retalliations or Gambit/Bolt combos I feel anxious about taking on, even if they're worth 75 points.

So now I've been warned that I'm annoying people. I feel compelled to ask for clarification from the board whether I need to change up what I'm doing. I'm certainly not going out of my way to target specific people or alliances here, I just grab what points I can, get the progression of 1000 and then bug out. Placement is secondary for me, I hope for top 25 but if it doesn't happen, so be it.

What say all y'all.

Comments

• Huntah86
    Huntah86 Posts: 221 Tile Toppler
    I have a similar strategy but I typically wait for 8 hours instead of 24. I've had to hit the same people 2 - 3 times during my climbs since there just isn't anybody else worth many points that I could beat.  I say just keep doing what you're doing.  If it's 24 hours out then even if you're hitting people a few times that's plenty of time to get those points back and not have it really hurt a climb.
  • tiomono
    tiomono Posts: 1,651 Chairperson of the Boards
    Yeah these discussions almost never end well.

I just say play what works for you. If the game allows it, it's ok. 
  • Phumade
    Phumade Posts: 2,477 Chairperson of the Boards
    if you feel compelled to ask the question,  then the answer is yes.

forum readers don't care if your playstyle is annoying or not,  but those people who got hit did care and cared enough to send you an actual  message via line with words instead of red retals.  that should tell you clearly that someone thinks your play is annoying, independent of what other think.

In anycase, the real question is whether the senders opinion of your play matters more to you than your ease of placement etc..

• DyingLegend
    DyingLegend Posts: 1,191 Chairperson of the Boards
    I climb to 500's first day or so, float there, then i climb to 900 in the last day of event, but i generally don't hit the same person twice cause i have some weird moral code. I never get mad about getting hit multiple times, it is what it is.
  • broll
    broll Posts: 4,732 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited May 2018
    IMO it's up to you decide how you want to PvP.  For me personally I participate in a battle chat and I try to be respectful and work with my fellow BCs and follow any rules they have.  Outside of that, anything I see is fair game.  I'm personally not a big fan of etiquette and gentleman duels in a game like this.  I accept battle chats as a necessary evil to patch a tinykitty system.

Edit:
    I've gotten nastygrahms over LINE and been targeted because someone got their feelings hurt that hit them more than twice.  I tell them it's not personal and move on.  If they want to target me that's their prerogative, just as it's mine to hit any points I see...
  • HoundofShadow
    HoundofShadow Posts: 8,004 Chairperson of the Boards
    I can't believe there's a certain way to conduct in PvP. Just do what works best for you. I usually go into PvP 8 hours before it ends, climb and then slap an 8 hour shield because 24 hours shield is too much for me at this stage. 

• Quebbster
    Quebbster Posts: 8,070 Chairperson of the Boards
    Kinda pesters me that my old method was to climb 8 hours before the end and hope to get 900 points. What would happen is I'd maybe get to 850 and try to bump over 900 BEFORE getting hit, which would rarely happen, and eventually I'd get hit a bunch of times in a row, drop to 750 and then just shield and give up.

I never bothered complaining to anyone about this. Maybe grumbled or vented on the forum but I just chalked it up to "That's life".

But now I can consistently get to 900 simply by using 24 hour shields instead of 8 hours, now I'm the problem. Where was the intervention for people hitting me when I had 898 points and just needed to be left alone for 5 minutes while I got the 4* cover and shielded?

I dunno man, PvP has always been difficult for me to succeed in, and now that I actually am making progress there (I'm not even going for Number 1 or the 1200 progression) it's frustrating that apparently I'm annoying people.

I mean, I'd like to just get the progression and not care. This is why I liked the win based system! Didn't matter who you attacked if all you want is progression rewards. Just do your wins and leave.
    Did you tell anyone about the hits? When Line players get hit we tend to mention it in the chat rooms, it's easy to get the impression that someone is intentionally trying to wreck people's climbs. Get mentioned enough and people start remembering your name. It's easy to get a bad reputation, but it also tends to be a very forgiving environment if you are willing to change your playing habits a bit.
    I don't know how you play, but generally speaking multiple hits tend to annoy people a lot. Avoid hitting the same guy over and over, and perhaps wait a little while so your target has a fair chance to shield, and the annoyance should decrease. Assuming you care about that, as already mentioned.
  • CharlieCroker
    CharlieCroker Posts: 254 Mover and Shaker
    What Quebbster said.  The only thing I'd add to this is that if you are one of those players that likes to double/triple people, don't complain when the same happens to you. 

Whilst I may have occasionally deviated from this in the past, I generally try not to double people or take a decent amount of time before doing so.  But if you've hit me/alliance mates multiple times in the past then I'll make sure to repay the favour if I ever get the opportunity.
  • broll
    broll Posts: 4,732 Chairperson of the Boards
    What Quebbster said.  The only thing I'd add to this is that if you are one of those players that likes to double/triple people, don't complain when the same happens to you. 

Whilst I may have occasionally deviated from this in the past, I generally try not to double people or take a decent amount of time before doing so.  But if you've hit me/alliance mates multiple times in the past then I'll make sure to repay the favour if I ever get the opportunity.
    Live by the sword, die by the sword.
  • Swish
    Swish Posts: 33 Just Dropped In
    People get really worked up about getting hit in this game, which is odd... because that's the game. The point of the game is to get as high of a score as you can, and to do so, you have to hit people along the way. I'll admit that I have hit people multiple times on climbs. Not because I'm holding a grudge or I want to hunt down a particular alliance, but because they were worth points. Points that I needed to hit my target score or to gain a placement reward that I wanted. And, you know what? People have hit me multiple times along the way as well. Don't lose perspective, it's a game. Don't take personal what isn't personal.  And for the people who are giving you a hard time about it... let it roll off your back.
  • tiomono
    tiomono Posts: 1,651 Chairperson of the Boards

So do you keep a spreadsheet of everyone that has ever double hit yourself or an alliance mate? 
  • ursopro
    ursopro Posts: 332 Mover and Shaker
    tiomono said:

So do you keep a spreadsheet of everyone that has ever double hit yourself or an alliance mate? 
    He has a Death Note
  • shartattack
    shartattack Posts: 370 Mover and Shaker
    Hits happen and most people understand it is part of the game. It would be kind of boring to never get hit.I don't play with anyone who gets their undies in a bundle over 1 hit.  The 2 things people get upset about:
    1.  Multiple hits, Especially during climb time
    2.  Immediately hitting grills.