Wolverine Patch - solved

JSP869
JSP869 Posts: 820 Critical Contributor
edited May 2018 in MPQ Character Discussion
Mystery solved! It was the Puzzlewarriors guys and podcast episode #139 where they discussed "Patch", one of Demi's developers, leaving the MPQ team. I wasn't fully paying attention while I was listening so I didn't cotton on that they were talking about the developer, and not 3* Wolverine.

I heard a rumor about Patch being dropped from the game, which is weird because I don't recall anyone being dropped, but I cannot find anything to substantiate this.

Was it just a rumor? Or is Patch being dropped? And if so, how will this be handled? Is there any official news about it?

Comments

• Steel_Colt
    Steel_Colt Posts: 277 Mover and Shaker
    While I don't really like his outfit, I do like his power set! For a long time he was one of my power houses in 3* land, for his powerful green and his true healing.
    I'd like a new outfit for him, but I really hope they won't drop him altogether. 
  • Sim Mayor
    Sim Mayor Posts: 309 Mover and Shaker
    While I don't really like his outfit, I do like his power set! For a long time he was one of my power houses in 3* land, for his powerful green and his true healing.
    I'd like a new outfit for him, but I really hope they won't drop him altogether. 
    As someone who is old enough to have actually collected the comics of that era, the Patch outfit is almost as iconic to me as the old brown and gold togs (which is why I hate 2* Daken...it's a painful subject). One of the things that first drew me to this game was earning a 3* Wolverine and seeing literally my favorite Wolverine cover ever.

Sadly I do recognize that referencing a story that's 30-odd years old isn't the best way to keep the attention of the critical "kids I keep having to chase off my lawn" demographic. But I really hope they leave me this one thing to smile over whenever I'm scrolling through my roster.
  • Dormammu
    Dormammu Posts: 3,531 Chairperson of the Boards
    Yeah, I remember buying that Patch cover off the rack at my local comics shop when I was a kid. Still have it bagged and boarded in the garage. Loved that era of X-Men. They were supposed to be dead and wanted the world to believe that, so Logan had to be incognito in Madripoor... so silly.

As for Patch being exiled from the game, I have no idea why that would need to happen. As for any rumors, this thread is the first I've heard of it. 
  • Steel_Colt
    Steel_Colt Posts: 277 Mover and Shaker
    Sim Mayor said:
    As someone who is old enough to have actually collected the comics of that era, the Patch outfit is almost as iconic to me as the old brown and gold togs (which is why I hate 2* Daken...it's a painful subject). One of the things that first drew me to this game was earning a 3* Wolverine and seeing literally my favorite Wolverine cover ever.

Sadly I do recognize that referencing a story that's 30-odd years old isn't the best way to keep the attention of the critical "kids I keep having to chase off my lawn" demographic. But I really hope they leave me this one thing to smile over whenever I'm scrolling through my roster.
    Being 30 years old, I don't think I fit in the "kids you keep having to chase of your lawn" demographic. I know the comic and the story behind the outfit, I just don't really care for the outfit. 
  • Quebbster
    Quebbster Posts: 8,070 Chairperson of the Boards
    I can't recall anyone beng dropped from the game either. Given makeovers, sure - power changes are not that uncommon, and the Wolverines of the game got new graphcs around the release of Enemy of the State, but flat out removed? No.
    I mean, theoretically they would say "So Patch will no longer be Patch but just regular Wolverine" and change both the graphics and the powers so he is in effect a brand new character, but I can't see even that happening.
  • HoundofShadow
    HoundofShadow Posts: 8,004 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited May 2018
    Where did you get the rumour from? This is gonna be historic making. I think he might get a cover change if there would be any change at all. His cover reminds me of  waiter in a restaurant.
  • JSP869
    I don't know where it came from. When Patch was the required character for the previous PvE event I recalled hearing about it somewhat recently, but I couldn't find anything about it anywhere, so I don't know how the thought got into my head.
  • Sim Mayor
    I heard the same thing that JSP heard at about the same time (so likely from the same source), but I have no idea where.
  • Neuromancer
    Neuromancer Posts: 203 Tile Toppler
    Hmm, the 3*s don't have a limited cover yet (bag-man, yelena, howard, devil dino), so he may graduate to there. I don't expect they'll remove him entirely. Still not sure where you heard about this. #fakenews?
  • kk3thess
    kk3thess Posts: 202 Tile Toppler
    edited May 2018
    I don't think I saw any information about this anywhere. Are you sure you weren't a victim of someone using the reality stone? 
  • Quebbster
    Quebbster Posts: 8,070 Chairperson of the Boards
    Hmm, the 3*s don't have a limited cover yet (bag-man, yelena, howard, devil dino), so he may graduate to there. I don't expect they'll remove him entirely. Still not sure where you heard about this. #fakenews?
    Dino and Duck were designed to be limited though. Yelena and Bag-man got demoted to Limited status because people didn't like them. I don't see Patch being in that category. Considering how popular Wolverine is, he should have a 3* non-Limited version in the game.
  • sambrookjm
    sambrookjm Posts: 2,105 Chairperson of the Boards
    Um, he's out of the game. My best friend's sister's boyfriend's brother's girlfriend heard from this guy who knows this kid who's going with the girl who saw some Devs talking at the 31 Flavors last night, and they said he's out.  I guess it's pretty serious.
  • JSP869
    Sim Mayor said:
    I heard the same thing that JSP heard at about the same time (so likely from the same source), but I have no idea where.
    Mystery solved! It was those dang Puzzle Warriors guys & their podcast episode #139.

I was listening to their podcast while making dinner (like I usually do) and now that I look at what they said on their page for that episode: "Oh No, Patch is leaving MPQ, but not Demi." I've realized I wasn't fully paying attention to what they were saying, and that they were referring to Patch the MPQ developer, and not 3* Wolverine. Doh!
  • Sim Mayor
    JSP869 said:

Mystery solved! It was those dang Puzzle Warriors guys & their podcast episode #139.

I was listening to their podcast while making dinner (like I usually do) and now that I look at what they said on their page for that episode: "Oh No, Patch is leaving MPQ, but not Demi." I've realized I wasn't fully paying attention to what they were saying, and that they were referring to Patch the MPQ developer, and not 3* Wolverine. Doh!
    That's kinda amazing. Great detective work, JSP! :)
  • Vold
    Vold Posts: 166 Tile Toppler
    I don’t see how they can drop him

there are story modes with him as the main character. It’ll be weird seeing him in the story but not able to use him.