Recycling 2* farm

froggerjohn
froggerjohn Posts: 373 Mover and Shaker
I have a number of max-champed 2*s now, and know I need to sell them and start over. How much of a concern is it to get stuck with an under-leveled replacement in things like Behemoth Burrito, or required PvE nodes? (I'm fairly early in 3* champs, 9 low-cover 4*s).

Comments

• ThaRoadWarrior
    ThaRoadWarrior Posts: 9,125 Chairperson of the Boards
    I turn my 2*s over as soon as i have a single replacement cover. There have been some notably challenging burritos where I have had a recently rostered, un-leveled 3*, a 3-4 cover 4*, and a lvl 15 2*. I just try to lean on AoE team ups if I have them, sometimes I'll throw a little iso at somebody that needs it to turn the tide. For me, those moments are some of the most fun i have with the game lol.
  • Waddles_Pines
    Waddles_Pines Posts: 1,188 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited May 2018
    You shouldn't have much problem in DDQ.  You can either always hold onto your main 2*team (makes it a lil boring, but it'll be faster to clear since you're used to them) or keep just keep rotating your team as you sell off and re-roster.  

As for PVE, you can check the preview thread that Brigby posts and make sure you don't sell off that character right before the event.  If you accidentally sell, it shouldn't be too much of a deal.  If you're not hoarding tokens you'll pull the required 2* easily.  If you wind up using a 1 cover 2*, just make sure that your 3* can tank, or at least be aware of not making matches the 2* tanks. 

Oh, and ppl vary in how they handle their 2* farms, but I tend to start a dupe when the character is around 130 to make sure I have them fully covered before I champ the 130ish one.  It all depends on if you have the roster spots to spare.  Also, never sell before they're fully champed unless you really need the iso.

• froggerjohn
    Thanks, was going to ask about starting dupes early, so I don't waste covers. There's several more in the 130s, but seven are already maxed, so I'll just hope for the best.

Still trying to decide if I want to buy slots for 2* dupes, which I figure could be eventual homes for new 4* covers.

• ThaRoadWarrior
    At your stage in the game, I don't know if I'd be able to justify 2* dupe slots over 4*s, since having even a 1-cover 4* is a ticket to entry for half of DDQ and every PVE story event that comes around. Losing out on a few covers for 2*s is pretty trivial the way I play. But i'm also a pretty wasteful player, so your mileage may vary there I suppose.
  • Dormammu
    Dormammu Posts: 3,531 Chairperson of the Boards
    When I farm I like to roster dupes and wait for them to hit 13 covers before I sell the max-champed ones, for the reasons you listed in the OP. But that's a luxury I have being flush with HP. It's not necessary. If you don't recycle all your 2-stars at the exact same time, the farm starts to stagger itself and you'll always have a few champed ones on hand to handle DDQ. If you get caught with an under-covered 2-star required in PvE its not an issue because you can let the other two characters handle the load. Even when I have a max-champed 2-star, they're usually just carry-ons on those nodes anyway. 
  • ThaRoadWarrior
    ^this. I (and my alliance mates farming) tend to see our 12 farmable 2*s (not counting Bagman of course) turning over in waves of 4. It's actually kind of funny to watch, where you'll have one 2* who is way out in front, say at level 137, and the next one back at like 119 or something, and that one that's way out front will just go stagnant while one or two others just get strings of pulls in a row to normalize the turnover. It's probably cognitive bias, but I remark to myself that this is happening every time I turn them over.
  • Waddles_Pines
    Right now you're in 3* land.  The real question is do you want to be in 4* land?  Once you make the move, you can't really go backwards.  You'll wind up using the 3* only when it's essential.  Other than that the only 3* I ever use are Strange, IM, and Switch.  

The benefits of staying in 3* land is that there's a finite number of 3* characters.  4* list keeps growing and the dilution of covers means that based on your roster spots/HP, you'll have to think about who you want to keep.  If you try and roster them all you'll wind up with a whole mess of characters with 2-3 covers.  Plus, 4* cost more to champ.  

On the other hand, 4* land is fun because there are so many characters.  It rewards ppl who play a lot.  

Your main goal should be to get that 2* farm into good shape.  That's where you'll get a lot of the HP that you'll need to buy slots.  
  • froggerjohn
    I think Burrito might be the only place I'd potentially feel the crunch. Since I only recently started saving 4* covers, it's going to be a weak character there. A lot of my 3* roster is still light-to-mid covered as well, so the 2* has been moderately important in the BB rounds I've done.
  • froggerjohn
    edited May 2018
    To answer the "where do I want to be" question, I see 4* land as being only a distant consideration at this point, but enough interesting characters that I eventually would want to play someday. In the meantime, I want to keep some of them rostered so that I can benefit from the required PvE nodes when they pop up. And can hopefully keep most or all the top-tier ones that might show up, and/or the ones that are playable with low covers. (I have a 1/1/2 Nico that I can definitely see uses for).

So I was thinking that if I whaled a few slots for 2* dupes, and then received a nice 4* cover I wanted to keep, I could sell a max-champ even if the dup isn't quite as far along as I would have otherwise liked.
  • TPF Alexis
    TPF Alexis Posts: 3,826 Chairperson of the Boards
    If you've got the required 3* at even like 10 covers and leveled, they can pretty much solo the Behemoth Burrito, and absolutely if they're champed. All you need from the 2* and 4* at that point is to have them rostered to unlock the node. Similar deal in PvE: at an appropriate SCL, a pair of 3* champs should totally be able to carry a single-cover 2* essential.

I've only rostered dupes for my 2* farm in pretty extreme situations, like when I ended up with Mags at 12/3/2 and some of the blues were about to expire. Never really ran into trouble with it, even back when I was only partway into 3* land.
  • jtsings
    jtsings Posts: 278 Mover and Shaker
       What I used to do before I was able to get enough HP to have dupes for all of my 2*s, I used to start keeping 2* covers in my inbox once the main cover reached 138-140.  If you have an uneven cover distribution (6 of one cover) then add that cover to your "main" 2*.  You might not be able to fully champ all the 2*s before their cover expires but at least you'll have a pretty well covered 2* if you need it for an event.  As stated earlier just make sure that you only sell the 2* character when it's maxed, otherwise you're losing out on the great rewards for a max champ 2*.
  • froggerjohn
    Ooh, that's an awesome idea about keeping the 2* covers in the rewards inbox when getting close, and then using the ones you have the most of to finish champing. Thanks!

• Dormammu
    To answer the "where do I want to be" question, I see 4* land as being only a distant consideration at this point, but enough interesting characters that I eventually would want to play someday.
    You'd be surprised how fast you get there. Champing each and every 3-star seems like a slog when you're in it, since the 2-star phase of the game goes so quick, but the day will come when you're done and then you're like: okay, what's next?

Then the true slog begins.
  • NeonBlue
    NeonBlue Posts: 142 Tile Toppler
    Dormammu said:
    To answer the "where do I want to be" question, I see 4* land as being only a distant consideration at this point, but enough interesting characters that I eventually would want to play someday.
    You'd be surprised how fast you get there. Champing each and every 3-star seems like a slog when you're in it, since the 2-star phase of the game goes so quick, but the day will come when you're done and then you're like: okay, what's next?

Then the true slog begins.
    At least 4*s have interesting combos. 2*s pretty much are just stat sticks with one loop team (Thormneto). 3* has slightly more variety, but not much team interplay. It's more about color coverage and simple synergy (ie. AP feeders + damage). 4* may take the longest and be the sloggiest, but at least the characters have more unique mechanics and team comps can be more combo-oriented, making it more interesting
  • Dormammu
    Without question. The depth of strategy at the 4-star tier is unmatched.
  • Waddles_Pines
    Dormammu said:
    Without question. The depth of strategy at the 4-star tier is unmatched.
    Yup, second this.  Even though there's a lot of negativity on these boards, and less activity than before, it's always nice to see those combo threads or who to champ threads.  There are a lot more combos out there than Grocket/Gamora/Medusa... There's always a counter to a team, usually it'll paint a bigger target on your back, but at least there are enough characters to piece together a counter...
  • Loosie
    Loosie Posts: 397 Mover and Shaker
    I guess I could be considered transitioning to 4* land. the real slow down for me is HP. I've got a good 2* farm going and loads of ISO right now. I have all the 3* fully champ, with 13 at 200+. I have most of the 4*s (only 16 missing) with Fury champed and Fisk 3 covers away from being champed.

I just started banking the DDQ tokens as per an alliance mate, so I figure once that gets going my HP will start going up and I'll really starting moving into 4* land.
  • Waddles_Pines
    Loosie said:
    I guess I could be considered transitioning to 4* land. the real slow down for me is HP. I've got a good 2* farm going and loads of ISO right now. I have all the 3* fully champ, with 13 at 200+. I have most of the 4*s (only 16 missing) with Fury champed and Fisk 3 covers away from being champed.

I just started banking the DDQ tokens as per an alliance mate, so I figure once that gets going my HP will start going up and I'll really starting moving into 4* land.
    Just remember that "loads of ISO" is realllly subjective.  It costs around 380k to champ a 4*... 
  • NeonBlue
    NeonBlue Posts: 142 Tile Toppler
    Loosie said:

Just remember that "loads of ISO" is realllly subjective.  It costs around 380k to champ a 4*... 
    I remember like 3 months ago, I was transitioning into 3* land, and I was telling my friend, "I have so much ISO, it really isn't that important." This was when I had around 900k. Since then, I have not held more than 200k at one time, and sometimes, I contemplate selling my left kidney (my good one) for another burst of ISO.  
  • Loosie
    Loosie Posts: 397 Mover and Shaker
    Loosie said:

Oh I know. I currently have nearly 2M. Once I really get going with the 4* covers it won't be enough, especially when I start champing.