Team nickname suggestion for Medusa, 4s Gamora and 4s Rocket & Groot

2»

Comments

• NeonBlue
    NeonBlue Posts: 142 Tile Toppler
    NeonBlue said:
    Right now, I have Vulture + Rogue fully covered and soft capped to match my 3*s. I'm finishing champing the rest of my 3* (7 left) before saving enough ISO and CP to get a 3rd character covered and champed (prob C&D).
    OK, there's your problem. Without some 4* champs, there aren't many options. Not none, but not many, and they're not as effective as the 4* solutions. Regardless of which pair you're looking at, it's really hard to punch up a tier. When I was in 3* land (pre-Grocket), I couldn't handle teams with 4* champs either, and now that I'm solidly in 4*, teams with 5* champs are an auto-skip on the rare occasions that I see them.

Vulture and Rogue are actually a pretty reasonable counter as well. Rogue can tank well enough to buy time for Vulture to build up some blue, and Medusa's healing only triggers when their special tiles are actually matched, not if they're directly destroyed.
    ? Oh no, I'm not having problems with G/M/M right now (I do see them, but only occassionally), but I've done research and when I do champ my 4stars, I know all I will be seeing is G/M/M. I wrote that part just to indicate that I'm not halting my progress completely because of G/M/M, but I will soon come to the point where I will be done champing my 3*s and will need to begin transitioning. I have about a month and change before I think I will be ready to fully transition, and if I'm lucky, something will happen to this team by then.
  • Dormammu
    Dormammu Posts: 3,531 Chairperson of the Boards
    You'll see them, but really only in the Sim and as you're transitioning there will be plenty of 3-star teams you'll see in the Sim so just skip them.

Try to champ one of their immediate 4-star counter teams:
    -Thing/4Pool
     -Rhulk/Carol/Grocket

When Grocket is boosted Grocket/Gamora tend to take over PvP, and recently there's been events when Grocket and Gamora are boosted at the same time. Those weeks can be bloodbaths, but the above teams will handle them without breaking a sweat.
  • TPF Alexis
    TPF Alexis Posts: 3,826 Chairperson of the Boards
    NeonBlue said:
    NeonBlue said:
    Right now, I have Vulture + Rogue fully covered and soft capped to match my 3*s. I'm finishing champing the rest of my 3* (7 left) before saving enough ISO and CP to get a 3rd character covered and champed (prob C&D).
    OK, there's your problem. Without some 4* champs, there aren't many options. Not none, but not many, and they're not as effective as the 4* solutions. Regardless of which pair you're looking at, it's really hard to punch up a tier. When I was in 3* land (pre-Grocket), I couldn't handle teams with 4* champs either, and now that I'm solidly in 4*, teams with 5* champs are an auto-skip on the rare occasions that I see them.

Vulture and Rogue are actually a pretty reasonable counter as well. Rogue can tank well enough to buy time for Vulture to build up some blue, and Medusa's healing only triggers when their special tiles are actually matched, not if they're directly destroyed.
    ? Oh no, I'm not having problems with G/M/M right now (I do see them, but only occassionally), but I've done research and when I do champ my 4stars, I know all I will be seeing is G/M/M. I wrote that part just to indicate that I'm not halting my progress completely because of G/M/M, but I will soon come to the point where I will be done champing my 3*s and will need to begin transitioning. I have about a month and change before I think I will be ready to fully transition, and if I'm lucky, something will happen to this team by then.
    Ah, that's a different issue. The complaining about them is honestly more ubiquitous than the team itself is, so researching the meta on the forum exaggerates the situation somewhat. With Rogue and Vulture as part of your starting 4* team, you should manage just fine.
  • NeonBlue
    NeonBlue said:
    NeonBlue said:

Ah, that's a different issue. The complaining about them is honestly more ubiquitous than the team itself is, so researching the meta on the forum exaggerates the situation somewhat. With Rogue and Vulture as part of your starting 4* team, you should manage just fine.
    True, but if everyone speaks about the end of days, the only recourse is to prepare for it in any way you can. I've learned that in this game, if you don't want to have long lasting regrets, you need to plan your roster progression like it's your career 
  • qjunky
    qjunky Posts: 2 Just Dropped In
    edited May 2018
    not sure why my nickname chat turned into a nerf chat..any 3s transition players are going to have trouble with a TON of 4s 3xchamp rosters..complaining about the current most popular one seen in the sim is pointless..lets say that team didn't exist and all the 4s players used the team of 4s cage 4s fist and mockingbird...good luck trying to take them on over and over.
  • NeonBlue
    qjunky said:
    not sure why my nickname chat turned into a nerf chat..any 3s transition players are going to have trouble with a TON of 4s 3xchamp rosters..complaining about the current most popular one seen in the sim is pointless..lets say that team didn't exist and all the 4s players used the team of 4s cage 4s fist and mockingbird...good luck trying to take them on over and over.
    Even if that is the "better" team, I'd have no problem with it if it became the new meta because at least it allows for some counterplay, and wouldn't be the go-to for every aspect of the game. If you ask anyone, they'll say that if you don't go for G/G/M as your first team, you're putting yourself at a disadvantage across the board because it excels at literally everything. This is the core of overpowered, and everyone from people in game to people on the forums to the analytics of character usage confirms this.
  • KGB
    KGB Posts: 2,900 Chairperson of the Boards
    NeonBlue said:
    qjunky said:
    Even if that is the "better" team, I'd have no problem with it if it became the new meta because at least it allows for some counterplay, and wouldn't be the go-to for every aspect of the game. If you ask anyone, they'll say that if you don't go for G/G/M as your first team, you're putting yourself at a disadvantage across the board because it excels at literally everything. This is the core of overpowered, and everyone from people in game to people on the forums to the analytics of character usage confirms this.
    There already is counterplay in the 4* tier and above for G//G/M. There are multiple posts of such teams in this very thread and there are other teams listed in other threads. So the argument there is no counterplay doesn't stand up. There may be no *painless* counterplay but that's something entirely different and in fact from the Dev's point of view, selling you health packs seems to make good sense for them :)

The reason everyone has said to get G/G/M was because they were all in the latest tokens so you had an excellent chance of covering them. Now that all 3 are gone from latest tokens new players won't be covering them at all (or it will take a long time) and will instead be covering new characters and new teams because the characters in the latest tokens determine which teams that transitioning players like yourself are going to be able to champ.

G/G/M is mostly fantastic for PvE where you can use all 3 and often against just goons to save time (Not because I want to place T10 but because saving 1/2 hr a day or more of real life time to do other things besides grind PvE is infinitely valuable to me) . The only place in PvP they can be used is Shield Sim. There it's hard to know how much they are being used because you only see the LAST successful team an opponent fielded. So they could have done 10 battles with other teams and finished with G/G/M simply because they know a lot of players will skip hitting them because of the damage threat (I do this for example).

KGB
  • Dormammu
    Dormammu Posts: 3,531 Chairperson of the Boards
    NeonBlue said:
     If you ask anyone, they'll say that if you don't go for G/G/M as your first team, you're putting yourself at a disadvantage across the board because it excels at literally everything. This is the core of overpowered, and everyone from people in game to people on the forums to the analytics of character usage confirms this.
    I disagree. There are many teams at the 4-star tier that are more 'overpowered'. There may not be anything faster against low-level easy nodes in PvE and seed teams in PvP, but the higher level your opponents are the less effective G/G/M become. Against high level PvE goons America Chavez (with a variety of possible teammates) is faster. Against high level active opponents (active=moving tiles) in either PvE or PvP their effectiveness drops considerably.

As for them having to be your first 4-star team, that's nonsense. The OP wants to make Vulture his first 4-star champ and I can't imagine a better one. I'd also rather have my Chavez, Carol, Peggy, Riri, Iceman, Blade, and Teen Jean over G/G/M.
  • NeonBlue
    edited May 2018
    KGB said:
    NeonBlue said:
    qjunky said:
    There already is counterplay in the 4* tier and above for G//G/M. There are multiple posts of such teams in this very thread and there are other teams listed in other threads. So the argument there is no counterplay doesn't stand up. There may be no *painless* counterplay but that's something entirely different and in fact from the Dev's point of view, selling you health packs seems to make good sense for them :)

And there it is! They allow this flavor of the month to be flavor of the year (and possibly longer) because it generates revenue in the form of health packs. They unload all this spiel about being cautious and using metrics, but the only metric they care about is $$green$$. All this about encouraging meta diversity and rewarding roster diversity all boils down to a smokescreen for what has the greatest monetary return. Look at the latest update, they're still trying to sell us on the snake oil that is supports without changing anything people have asked for.
  • NeonBlue
    Dormammu said:
    NeonBlue said:
     If you ask anyone, they'll say that if you don't go for G/G/M as your first team, you're putting yourself at a disadvantage across the board because it excels at literally everything. This is the core of overpowered, and everyone from people in game to people on the forums to the analytics of character usage confirms this.
    I disagree. There are many teams at the 4-star tier that are more 'overpowered'. There may not be anything faster against low-level easy nodes in PvE and seed teams in PvP, but the higher level your opponents are the less effective G/G/M become. Against high level PvE goons America Chavez (with a variety of possible teammates) is faster. Against high level active opponents (active=moving tiles) in either PvE or PvP their effectiveness drops considerably.

As for them having to be your first 4-star team, that's nonsense. The OP wants to make Vulture his first 4-star champ and I can't imagine a better one. I'd also rather have my Chavez, Carol, Peggy, Riri, Iceman, Blade, and Teen Jean over G/G/M.
    I'm pretty sure people use G/G/M to run through most, if not all of PvE with little to no effort. It may not be the fastest in every single situation, but its capacity to speed run through most challenges trivializes much of the pve content (excluding perhaps the highest SCL). As for PvP, there are ways to beat it, perhaps without taking much damage, but that requires specific setups that take advantage of its massive innate damage output. It takes significantly more effort and resources to find alternatives and counters than it does to just run it. G/G/M may not be the best of the best at everything, but its the one team that does well at everything, from speed clearing PvE, to reliably winning in PvP, to being a strong defense team that doesn't suffer much from bad A.I. 
  • KGB
    KGB Posts: 2,900 Chairperson of the Boards
    NeonBlue said:

I'm pretty sure people use G/G/M to run through most, if not all of PvE with little to no effort. It may not be the fastest in every single situation, but its capacity to speed run through most challenges trivializes much of the pve content (excluding perhaps the highest SCL).

What's wrong with trivially clearing PvE really fast? I hate to break it to you but PvE after the first few hundred times you play an event becomes a grind/chore (roughly at the spot you are now in the 4* transition). No one plays it for fun anymore, they simply play it to mine resources. The faster you can mine them the better. I don't mean better in terms of PvE placement (only 1% of players place high in a bracket anyway) but better in terms of Quality of Life because you free up a LOT of hours to spend on other things besides MPQ. If anything I wish we'd get teams that cleared PvE 5* as fast as G/G/M so I'd have even more free hours and quality of life to do other things besides PvE grinding.

Or alternatively, I wish PvE had an option to get all the rewards with only 1 clear but the enemy levels were much higher and much tougher (more active tile movers) where we could (would need to) use different boosted teams with the knowledge we only had to do each battle 1 time for all the rewards of 6 grind clears.

Also I am not sure how much metrics even look at PvE use since it doesn't affect other players scores (you aren't battling them directly). It's possible PvP are the only metrics used for nerf's because we aren't privy to the details that are used.

Since you've soft capped 4* to your 3* roster I'll assume you are in the 160-180 range on your characters. At that point you aren't going to be close to handling pure 4* teams of any kind much less the top ones. You should wait until you actually have some 4* champed before worrying about G/G/M being over powered. You may change your mind entirely by the time you do since what seems really hard at 160-180 with mostly 3* characters will seem a lot different with fully covered 4* champs.

KGB

• NeonBlue
    KGB said:
    NeonBlue said:

I'm pretty sure people use G/G/M to run through most, if not all of PvE with little to no effort. It may not be the fastest in every single situation, but its capacity to speed run through most challenges trivializes much of the pve content (excluding perhaps the highest SCL).

What's wrong with trivially clearing PvE really fast? I hate to break it to you but PvE after the first few hundred times you play an event becomes a grind/chore (roughly at the spot you are now in the 4* transition). No one plays it for fun anymore, they simply play it to mine resources. The faster you can mine them the better. I don't mean better in terms of PvE placement (only 1% of players place high in a bracket anyway) but better in terms of Quality of Life because you free up a LOT of hours to spend on other things besides MPQ. If anything I wish we'd get teams that cleared PvE 5* as fast as G/G/M so I'd have even more free hours and quality of life to do other things besides PvE grinding.

Or alternatively, I wish PvE had an option to get all the rewards with only 1 clear but the enemy levels were much higher and much tougher (more active tile movers) where we could (would need to) use different boosted teams with the knowledge we only had to do each battle 1 time for all the rewards of 6 grind clears.

Also I am not sure how much metrics even look at PvE use since it doesn't affect other players scores (you aren't battling them directly). It's possible PvP are the only metrics used for nerf's because we aren't privy to the details that are used.

Since you've soft capped 4* to your 3* roster I'll assume you are in the 160-180 range on your characters. At that point you aren't going to be close to handling pure 4* teams of any kind much less the top ones. You should wait until you actually have some 4* champed before worrying about G/G/M being over powered. You may change your mind entirely by the time you do since what seems really hard at 160-180 with mostly 3* characters will seem a lot different with fully covered 4* champs.

KGB

If PvE was purely progression, then yeah getting more in less time is good for the player. However, if you don't have a speed team, good luck getting decent placement. Ideally, if a person was a mostly PvE player, and invested in a speed team, then yeah, they should be able to reap the rewards. However, from a design standpoint, that team shouldn't also be able to breeze through PvP. Dr. Strange is a good example. He's the king of goons, but his performance in PvP is typically average (while being a minor nuisance, his HP makes him an easy target). 

I hate the way G/G/M plays, but out of 65 possible candidates to champ as part of a transition team, if I don't pick the three "correct" ones, then I'm handicapping myself. Even excluding my feelings about what it does to the PvP meta, the game shouldn't be in a state where there is a clear winner when it comes to a person's first 4star team. Name me one team that does not include G/G/M that has the functions as well as them in terms of (a) a fast PvE clear team, (b) a reliable offensive PvP team, and (c) a reliable defensive team.
  • Ducky
    Ducky Posts: 2,255 Community Moderator
    **Please keep on topic of the OP. Thanks!**
  • lastbreath
    lastbreath Posts: 12 Just Dropped In
    MeGaGroot or GaMeGroot obviously!