1* Covers

2»

Comments

• Heartbreaksoup
    Heartbreaksoup Posts: 352 Mover and Shaker
    One other thing about PVP with a roster like yours: those Grocket/Gamora/Medusa teams?  Don't fight them.  Skip right past those puppies and fight the 3* teams you'll find.  I think that if you use just 3*s, or your Thor + two 3*s, you can play a little and get the first few rewards and avoid too many harsh attacks / counterattacks from champed 4* teams.
  • TPF Alexis
    TPF Alexis Posts: 3,826 Chairperson of the Boards
    OJSP said:
    This is specifically for OP:

If you don’t use your 4*s or 5*s, other players with 4*s or 5*s can’t find you in their nodes until you break MMR (Matchmaking Rating).

Don’t be discouraged with the teams you are queueing, I think they could still be beaten with Hulkbombing. Re-spec 3* Hulk to 5/3/5, pair him with Wolverine. Get green, use Berserker Rage, and move Hulk to the front to take damage. Learn what sort of teams you could beat with them and only fight high point targets. You would still get hit by 3* players, but if you play carefully, the retal nodes could be worth a lot of points and the benefit of that is: you could use your other 3* teams to beat them. Pay attention to the names of the players who hit you or could beat you. If they’re 4* or 5* teams that you haven’t hit in that event, it means you’ve broken MMR and that’s probably your ceiling for the event. Then you either stop for the event and let you score drop or keep hitting beatable retal nodes to maintain your score.
    On the first point, there seem to be some exceptions, because I've occasionally been hit by dual champed 5* teams in events where I've only used 1*, and haven't made it past 200.

That said, for a while, you'll mostly get hit by rosters similar to the team you field for the first while. You can take advantage of this by jumping in right at the start of the event and beating the Seed Teams with the lowest-level teams you can manage. That'll generally result in a number of hits from 2* (and maybe even 1*) players which should give you a nice spread of winnable retals. After you run out of those, tho, you'll be getting close to your limit.
  • Dormammu
    Dormammu Posts: 3,531 Chairperson of the Boards
    ...I've occasionally been hit by dual champed 5* teams in events where I've only used 1*, and haven't made it past 200.
    MMR truly is a strange and wondrous enigma; even the most mathematically-inclined among us (of which I am not) are left scratching their heads in confusion when examining this most mysterious of all the game's processes. Were they still alive, I doubt even the likes of Einstein, Hawking, or even Jack Kirby could make sense of all the strange exceptions found within the matchmaking process that defy everything we've been told about it.

But one truth always seems to echo from the depths of MMR's mysteries: when 3-star (or lower) players start investing in under-covered 5-stars, it's NEVER good.
  • DAZ0273
    DAZ0273 Posts: 9,572 Chairperson of the Boards
    Dormammu said:
    ...I've occasionally been hit by dual champed 5* teams in events where I've only used 1*, and haven't made it past 200.
    MMR truly is a strange and wondrous enigma; even the most mathematically-inclined among us (of which I am not) are left scratching their heads in confusion when examining this most mysterious of all the game's processes. Were they still alive, I doubt even the likes of Einstein, Hawking, or even Jack Kirby could make sense of all the strange exceptions found within the matchmaking process that defy everything we've been told about it.

But one truth always seems to echo from the depths of MMR's mysteries: when 3-star (or lower) players start investing in under-covered 5-stars, it's NEVER good.

When I was playing Fist Bump I came across a player with a level 330 Thor, 145 Iron Fist and a boosted 2* Magneto (can’t remember what level). At first, I thought it must be a trap cake luring for retals so I checked the players roster and no, they were exactly what they seemed to be with a roster that should not be matched anywhere on my radar even with that Thor. It seems more often too that I see teams like or similar to this.

• Waddles_Pines
    Waddles_Pines Posts: 1,188 Chairperson of the Boards
    DAZ0273 said:
    When I was playing Fist Bump I came across a player with a level 330 Thor, 145 Iron Fist and a boosted 2* Magneto (can’t remember what level). At first, I thought it must be a trap cake luring for retals so I checked the players roster and no, they were exactly what they seemed to be with a roster that should not be matched anywhere on my radar even with that Thor. It seems more often too that I see teams like or similar to this.

I was seeing the same thing.  I'm a strictly 4* player just for reference.  At around 300 pts I started seeing teams like the ones Daz pointed out.  I only started seeing that this last season.  My suspicion is that MMR doesn't quite know what to do with rosters like this, so they're stuck in some quasi level where at a lower point total they're seen by higher leveled players.  From my own experience, I start getting seen by 5*'s at around 500.  
  • DAZ0273
    DAZ0273 said:

I was seeing the same thing.  I'm a strictly 4* player just for reference.  At around 300 pts I started seeing teams like the ones Daz pointed out.  I only started seeing that this last season.  My suspicion is that MMR doesn't quite know what to do with rosters like this, so they're stuck in some quasi level where at a lower point total they're seen by higher leveled players.  From my own experience, I start getting seen by 5*'s at around 500.  
    It brings up 2 things - first that MMR is truly wacky but also I'm not sure what combination of 5* covers will let you level up to 330 (or whatever level it was, maybe 320 but high I haven't taken any of mine that high yet) means that this player was able to acquire multiple Thor covers yet had no 4* roster so to speak of and not really much of a 3* one. The game should simply not allow that to happen in my opinion. Whether that means 5* covers get gated for PvP for a players own good based on ShieldRank or something I don't know but it is a pretty poor state of affairs.
  • Waddles_Pines
    DAZ0273 said:
    It brings up 2 things - first that MMR is truly wacky but also I'm not sure what combination of 5* covers will let you level up to 330 (or whatever level it was, maybe 320 but high I haven't taken any of mine that high yet) means that this player was able to acquire multiple Thor covers yet had no 4* roster so to speak of and not really much of a 3* one. The game should simply not allow that to happen in my opinion. Whether that means 5* covers get gated for PvP for a players own good based on ShieldRank or something I don't know but it is a pretty poor state of affairs.
    Exactly, the tokens need to be tied to your rank.  Levels 1-25 probably don't need 4*/5*.  I have an alt account that I log into once in a while and knowing what I know now, I have no idea how anybody starts this game from scratch and stays on.  You see so many rosters that have 1 covered 4* to go with the shing 1*'s, makes no sense.  To echo what a lot of vets say, why do we still get the silver tokens in SHIELD resupply?  At least elites add to your farm.  
  • DAZ0273
      To echo what a lot of vets say, why do we still get the silver tokens in SHIELD resupply?  At least elites add to your farm.  
    But how else are we gonna get Yelena covers?!?!?
  • Waddles_Pines
    DAZ0273 said:
      To echo what a lot of vets say, why do we still get the silver tokens in SHIELD resupply?  At least elites add to your farm.  
    I think if they ever add achievement rewards, there should be one about using the Limited Team (Yelena, Dino, Howard)... or maybe with their powers combined, they become Dazzler!!! (on that tangent...bear with me...), but that'd be a Longshot.  Which brings me to my non sequitur.  How the ___ is Shatterstar (he of the many pouches and double sword?!?!) the child of Dazzler and Longshot... comic books and their weirdness, you gotta love it...
  • DAZ0273
    DAZ0273 said:
    I think if they ever add achievement rewards, there should be one about using the Limited Team (Yelena, Dino, Howard)... or maybe with their powers combined, they become Dazzler!!! (on that tangent...bear with me...), but that'd be a Longshot.  Which brings me to my non sequitur.  How the ___ is Shatterstar (he of the many pouches and double sword?!?!) the child of Dazzler and Longshot... comic books and their weirdness, you gotta love it...
    Wait, what?!?!?!? Now that one I missed somewhere along the line!

And no place for Bag-man? He gets no respect!
  • Waddles_Pines
    edited May 2018
    Daz, my apologies, and to think spidey is one of my faves :smiley:

Since Dazzler's name keeps popping up as a joke here, I jumped down the rabbithole and wikipedia'd her.  I know I read this somewhere else too, but here's the snippet from wikipedia:

tl;dr, alternate universe time travel hocus pocus...
    In "The End of X-Factor" storyline, the conclusion of the X-Factor team with whom Dazzler had not previously had contact, Shatterstar and Rictor encounter a past-version of Dazzler while time-traveling through Mojoworld. At this point in her life, Dazzler and Longshot are still married and active in the revolt against Mojo. Rictor discovers Dazzler just as she is about to give birth to the child that had been believed to result in a miscarriage. The surviving infant was revealed to be Shatterstar, resolving nearly two decades of speculation that Shatterstar actually was the biological child of Dazzler and Longshot. 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dazzler_(Marvel_Comics)
  • DAZ0273
    Wow, really didn't ' t know that. I would like to say it makes sense but eh, comic books, so why not? 😀