Questions about Rogue's Yellow

NeonBlue
NeonBlue Posts: 142 Tile Toppler
edited May 2018 in MPQ Character Discussion
I have a few questions about Rogue's Yellow, since the visual indicators don't really match up to what might be going on.

1. If she's in front, does it reduce the team damage done to other characters? In a match, the numbers indicate she takes reduced damage, but it has shown that her allies take full damage. Is this occurring or is this just a UI thing?

2. I used her against some goons in PvE, and when their damage countdown went off, it showed that I took full damage. Is this also a UI thing, or is this intentional?

Comments

• Quebbster
    Quebbster Posts: 8,070 Chairperson of the Boards
    Pretty sure Rogue only reduces damage to herself, not to allies. Can't say how it works against goons, but I do know she only reduces damage from matches and Powers, not from other sources like attack tiles.
  • NeonBlue
    edited May 2018
    Quebbster said:
    Pretty sure Rogue only reduces damage to herself, not to allies. Can't say how it works against goons, but I do know she only reduces damage from matches and Powers, not from other sources like attack tiles.
    If that's true about only her taking reduced damage, then the wording for the ability is unnecessarily confusing. It states "As long as Rogue is in front, enemy matches deal 10% less damage for each teammate still in the fight." Why couldn't they have just said, "As long as Rogue is in front, she takes 10% less damage from enemy matches (and powers) for each teammate still in the fight." 
  • MoosePrime
    MoosePrime Posts: 946 Critical Contributor
    Because you need enough covers in yellow to get the power reduction (I don't remember if it's 4 or 5).  Check out the level 5 description.
  • NeonBlue
    edited May 2018
    Because you need enough covers in yellow to get the power reduction (I don't remember if it's 4 or 5).  Check out the level 5 description.
    It's true that match damage only affects the front character, so that makes sense. However, when coming up with the description, they didn't consider that their wording would be misleading for levels 4 and 5 of the ability? Seems like a pretty important oversight
  • MoosePrime
    MoosePrime Posts: 946 Critical Contributor
    NeonBlue said:
    It's true that match damage only affects the front character, so that makes sense. However, when coming up with the description, they didn't consider that their wording would be misleading for levels 4 and 5 of the ability? Seems like a pretty important oversight
    It seems I may have misunderstood your confusion, your edit makes it more clear.

I agree that your suggested wording would make sense.
  • Vold
    Vold Posts: 166 Tile Toppler
    NeonBlue said:
    Quebbster said:
    If that's true about only her taking reduced damage, then the wording for the ability is unnecessarily confusing. It states "As long as Rogue is in front, enemy matches deal 10% less damage for each teammate still in the fight." Why couldn't they have just said, "As long as Rogue is in front, she takes 10% less damage from enemy matches (and powers) for each teammate still in the fight." 
    To me it sounds like if u got more allies, she got more defense 

1x ally alive = 10%
    2x ally alive = 20%

:smile:
  • HoundofShadow
    HoundofShadow Posts: 8,004 Chairperson of the Boards
    This is Rogue's defensive ability, based on in-game description:

Leading the Charge - 0 Yellow AP (PASSIVE):
    (PASSIVE) Rogue's superhuman durability makes a great frontline fighter and a tough target for her enemies.  
    Level 1: As long as Rogue is in front, she takes 10% less damage from enemy matches for each teammate still in the fight.  Whenever the enemy makes a Green, Red, or Yellow match, send Rogue to the front.
    Level 2: ... she takes 15% less damage from enemy matches for each teammate still in the fight.
    Level 3: ... she takes 20% less damage from enemy matches for each teammate still in the fight.
    Level 4: ... she takes 20% less damage from enemy matches and powers for each teammate still in the fight
    Level 5: ... she takes 25% less damage from enemy matches and powers for each teammate still in the fight.

This is what I saw in-game. Unless they did a stealth change after you posted this, it's quite clear that only she takes reduced damage. Her power description in the forum might not be clear.

I think it's likely that if minions' powers deal damages before they lay down the countdown tiles, her ability would reduce the damages. So, we need a definition of what "power" is and what "power" is not.

• NeonBlue
    This is Rogue's defensive ability, based on in-game description:

Leading the Charge - 0 Yellow AP (PASSIVE):
    (PASSIVE) Rogue's superhuman durability makes a great frontline fighter and a tough target for her enemies.  
    Level 1: As long as Rogue is in front, she takes 10% less damage from enemy matches for each teammate still in the fight.  Whenever the enemy makes a Green, Red, or Yellow match, send Rogue to the front.
    Level 2: ... she takes 15% less damage from enemy matches for each teammate still in the fight.
    Level 3: ... she takes 20% less damage from enemy matches for each teammate still in the fight.
    Level 4: ... she takes 20% less damage from enemy matches and powers for each teammate still in the fight
    Level 5: ... she takes 25% less damage from enemy matches and powers for each teammate still in the fight.

This is what I saw in-game. Unless they did a stealth change after you posted this, it's quite clear that only she takes reduced damage. Her power description in the forum might not be clear.

I think it's likely that if minions' powers deal damages before they lay down the countdown tiles, her ability would reduce the damages. So, we need a definition of what "power" is and what "power" is not.

I checked in-game, on the wiki, and on the forums before I made this thread, and the description was definitely different (look to my previous post).
  • NeonBlue
    edited May 2018
    @Brigby

I'm 99.99% sure that when I made this thread, the description was different. Then I made this post:

NeonBlue said:
    Quebbster said:
    Now the in-game description has become what I wrote in the above post. I just want to ask if I was hallucinating this whole time, or if the devs actually changed the description. Please help 
  • Brigby
    Brigby ADMINISTRATORS Posts: 7,757 Site Admin
    NeonBlue said:
    Brigby 

I'm 99.99% sure that when I made this thread, the description was different. Then I made this post:

NeonBlue said:
    Quebbster said:
    Now the in-game description has become what I wrote in the above post. I just want to ask if I was hallucinating this whole time, or if the devs actually changed the description. Please help 
    I'm personally unaware of any changes to her description, but who knows! Maybe they saw your post and thought the way you worded it provided more clarity :)
  • Rogue4Lyfe
    Rogue4Lyfe Posts: 43 Just Dropped In
    And yes, based on my name, Rogue is my favourite character in the game. 

As long as she's in front, she's a a tank. It's very easy to send her in front whenever enemy matches Yellow, Red and Green.
    For Green ability (Gloves Off), I just choose the target that has the same strongest color as my allies. It makes their powers fires faster. It's even better when it's Yellow, Red or Green.
    For Red (Sugah You're Going Down), I just fire it when in trouble or to clear enemy tiles and generate a reasonable amount of AP
    For Yellow (Leading The Charge), as long as she's in front, all damage is reduced which makes her become an essential character in the game. 

Overall, it's really good to have Rogue in roster
  • Quebbster
    Quebbster Posts: 8,070 Chairperson of the Boards
    And yes, based on my name, Rogue is my favourite character in the game. 

As long as she's in front, she's a a tank. It's very easy to send her in front whenever enemy matches Yellow, Red and Green.
    For Green ability (Gloves Off), I just choose the target that has the same strongest color as my allies. It makes their powers fires faster. It's even better when it's Yellow, Red or Green.
    For Red (Sugah You're Going Down), I just fire it when in trouble or to clear enemy tiles and generate a reasonable amount of AP
    For Yellow (Leading The Charge), as long as she's in front, all damage is reduced which makes her become an essential character in the game. 

Overall, it's really good to have Rogue in roster
    I don't see what this has to do with the subject of the thread. If you want to talk about Rogue in general it is probably better to do that in her character thread: https://forums.d3go.com/discussion/67788/rogue-classic/