Recent Updates Compared to a Few Other Games...

ntcplanters
ntcplanters Posts: 18 Just Dropped In
I consider myself a Veteran MPQ player (Day 1071), and a legitimate Gamer, at that. Not anything hardcore, just casual.

Anyway, I play two other Android games regularly: Gems of War & Star Wars: Galaxy of Heroes. In the past few months (and in a month or so to come), each of these games is/has gone through significant updates.

MPQ: Supports & Red ISO-8, a new 4 or 5 star every other week

Gems of War: Pets, Doom Skulls, 2x new Guild Warish things (Invasion & Raid Boss), 1x new Individual Game (Bounty), Addition of various Orbs (as rewards), Various Character updates & introductions (weekly)

Star Wars: Bounty Hunter Updates & Perks, Ship Updates, 1x New Raid Boss, New Daily Events, Various Character updates & introductions

*I am sure that I am forgetting some updates for the latter two, for the number of sheer updates they are performing*

This struck me recently, as I played these games. Demiurge would do well to notice. They are getting left behind. Personally, I find myself putting more time into the other games, and struggling to fine a reason to play MPQ.

Comments

• Jonny1Punch
    Jonny1Punch Posts: 434 Mover and Shaker
    Absolutely. They have ignored everything we asked for and given us something we never wanted ( supports ). So it’s not a shock that revenue is way down and we are all slowly migrating to bigger and better games with devs who listen and react to the communities needs. We should be getting so many more QOL updates, buffs and balances to the game it’s absurd we get left in the dust.I will definitely check out the two games you mentioned as I need a new game to replace MPQ.
  • animaniactoo
    animaniactoo Posts: 486 Mover and Shaker
    I consider myself a Veteran MPQ player (Day 1071), and a legitimate Gamer, at that. Not anything hardcore, just casual.

Anyway, I play two other Android games regularly: Gems of War & Star Wars: Galaxy of Heroes. In the past few months (and in a month or so to come), each of these games is/has gone through significant updates.

Gems of War: Pets, Doom Skulls, 2x new Guild Warish things (Invasion & Raid Boss), 1x new Individual Game (Bounty), Addition of various Orbs (as rewards), Various Character updates & introductions (weekly)

Star Wars: Bounty Hunter Updates & Perks, Ship Updates, 1x New Raid Boss, New Daily Events, Various Character updates & introductions

*I am sure that I am forgetting some updates for the latter two, for the number of sheer updates they are performing*

This struck me recently, as I played these games. Demiurge would do well to notice. They are getting left behind. Personally, I find myself putting more time into the other games, and struggling to fine a reason to play MPQ.
    The main question I have is... okay, and what did they do in the year before that? And the year before that?

By your estimate, is MPQ behind the curve, or are they completely out of synch?
  • Shintok17
    Shintok17 Posts: 620 Critical Contributor
    Ducky said:
    You forgot an update to how PvE is scored, update to 4* BP's reward structure to feed 5* BP covers, update to XFW to feed OML covers. Also, those two other games don't have a movie tie-in that they have to worry about, which is kind of a big deal.

Edit: And @Jonny1Punch I'd really like to see your source for stating that revenue is way down. Considering we have no idea how much the game actually makes, I'd say it's a bit of a stretch to say that revenue is way down when the devs themselves have said that MPQ is in a really healthy place atm.

Edit #2: Added link with actual comment.

I understand you're the Moderator for their Forum but you're defending them with basic changes. The 5* feeders are at a snails pace. We complained about Tapping for nearly a year and they finally made the solution using what we've been saying since they originally made the awful change.

Are they paying you with Support tokens and Red Iso? If so, please let us know how you like the Supports because we have no idea with the severe lack of resources they've been giving us. Thanks Ducky =D

Same here. The two 4*'s that became feeders for 5*'s happens every season so it is not really a "New" update. We know it will happen just don't know which 4* or 5*, just like we know there will be two 4*'s and a 5* released every season. The PVE score update was a problem that they took a year to acknowledge and months to fix. So it's something that was about time. Other than that all the Devs time and effort was spent on Supports that have been received with negative feedback since release, because of the scarcity of ways to obtain them at higher ranks and low Red Iso we can earn to level them. Now with the 300 Item vault and the HFH bundles, it seems that Supports are a new feature that is intended as a cash grab rather than something to make the game fresh again. 
  • Shintok17
    Shintok17 Posts: 620 Critical Contributor
    I am shocked, shocked to hear that some games change more than others over a given time period.

I still play games that haven't updated in 20yrs.
     :D  :D  Will that be Tic Tac Toe perhaps?
  • Punisher5784
    Punisher5784 Posts: 3,836 Chairperson of the Boards
     Shintok17 said:
    I am shocked, shocked to hear that some games change more than others over a given time period.

:D  :D  Will that be Tic Tac Toe perhaps?

I like to think Tic Tac Toe got upgraded to Connect Four, but that hasn't been updated either :D

• Doc L
    Doc L Posts: 279 Mover and Shaker
    Ducky said:
    You forgot an update to how PvE is scored, update to 4* BP's reward structure to feed 5* BP covers, update to XFW to feed OML covers. Also, those two other games don't have a movie tie-in that they have to worry about, which is kind of a big deal.

Edit: And @Jonny1Punch I'd really like to see your source for stating that revenue is way down. Considering we have no idea how much the game actually makes, I'd say it's a bit of a stretch to say that revenue is way down when the devs themselves have said that MPQ is in a really healthy place atm.

Edit #2: Added link with actual comment.
    Whilst I appreciate you defending the game, and indeed, I have played it since the Beta without wavering, to say the other games don't have a movie tie-in is not correct. Specifically in the case of Star Wars: GoH (the game the OP was referring too). They had a Last Jedi Event (maybe 3 actually, but I am not high enough level there to access all those events particularly successfully), and they have Han Solo's film next month to prepare for, whilst releasing a similar number of new characters to MPQ, revising their ship battles mode extensively, releasing events throughout the intermediate time (such as their Sith event), and revising the way you collect new characters (in a similar way to the 4* to 5* feeders here). This is in addition to the new other things the OP mentioned, i.e. the Bounty Hunter contracts, the new raid boss (a little like a Boss event here) and some new daily events. I would also say they release things related to the TV series' as well, such as Star Wars: Rebels (an excellent series), with associated characters and events too.

Now, each game has different audiences, different developers (and team sizes), different IP to use and so on, so it is hard to compare to each other. But Star Wars: GoH is about 2 years younger (2015 versus 2013 for MPQ), and recently did a sort of, massive redress of lots of small issues in the game, how it works, and how the experience is for the player. Personally, that game is far better now for it, than before. I think Will addressed this a little in his Q&A posts he's been doing, when he said this in answer to the following question:
    wymtime said:
    How often do you feel major updates should occur in the game?  Examples of major updates would be DPDQ, champion rewards, 5* tier, CL. 

Examples of of non major update: balance changes, new PVE, New boss events
    "Will: I think more often than we did in 2017.

Our strategy last year was more, but smaller, changes, and while that I think that led to some real and steady improvements in the game, no amount of smaller changes adds up to the excitement of a big new feature."

I think this indicates, as well as the development of Supports, that changes are both needed, and coming to maintain the health of the game. 

And to defend Supports - sure, they are underwhelming just now, but give it time. I didn't see the value of many things in this game when they first arrived, but given time, it will grow. I think if you were expecting an instantaneous paradigm shift, it's hard to create that. Additionally, even if Supports don't pan out, not everything every developer for every game works out to the majority of players. I'm happy they are trying things. If they aren't trying new things that's a bad sign for the health of the game. I agree with Ducky here, the game seems pretty healthy, and these attempts to change things confirm this. To compare to another game, Marvel Heroes, that game was dying for 6-12 months, and the lack of any new content, other than limited new characters, showed it was going downhill fast. 

Pong. Tbh, I saw a special edition updated version of Pac-man recently, well worth checking out.
  • supergarv
    supergarv Posts: 408 Mover and Shaker
    Whatever happens, I‘ll NEVER get tired of fighting Dark avengers in PVE, I want more of those!
  • Calnexin
    Calnexin Posts: 1,078 Chairperson of the Boards

Don't blow on the cartridge.  They found out that's bad.
  • Punisher5784
    Punisher5784 Posts: 3,836 Chairperson of the Boards
    Calnexin said:

LOL, nice one .... but those cartridges are 30yrs old now, not 20!

Believe it or not, I haven't owned any cartridges since I sold off my Atari 800XL. Only cartridge system I ever had. (A hybrid PC / console, man those were heady days ... ). Never owned a game console.

Never owned a game console.. but but.. Zelda bro!
  • Straycat
    Straycat Posts: 963 Critical Contributor
    you're defending them with basic changes.
    To be fair, how big/rare/good are the examples for the other games? Honest question since I am not familiar with those games. Maybe those updates aren't all that spectacular either?
    I know we come to expect new characters every 2 weeks, but that doesn't mean those aren't relevant updates. The real MPQ game is collecting characters, and the hook to keep people playing is the threat of losing the character to dilution. So while we don't get new pve events often, those don't really do much to keep people playing compared to new releases.
  • mexus
    mexus Posts: 12 Just Dropped In

I picked Gems of War up after a 2 year break and I have no idea what pets and doom skulls are. :( Help.
  • ntcplanters
    ntcplanters Posts: 18 Just Dropped In
    mexus said:

I picked Gems of War up after a 2 year break and I have no idea what pets and doom skulls are. :( Help.
    It is an update that is coming up within a week or so. Pets is mainly cosmetic, w/a few supports. Doomskulls explode & provide +5 damage.
  • mexus
    mexus Posts: 12 Just Dropped In
    mexus said:

It is an update that is coming up within a week or so. Pets is mainly cosmetic, w/a few supports. Doomskulls explode & provide +5 damage.
    Oh, OK. I'll keep looking for those. I'm not overly excited yet. :)
    However it's a very different game from when I used to play it 2 years ago. My favorite change is the animation speed-up X4. I do miss the crazy Monday hauls. Participating in my first Guild War now.
  • animaniactoo
    animaniactoo Posts: 486 Mover and Shaker
    Calnexin said:

LOL, nice one .... but those cartridges are 30yrs old now, not 20!

Believe it or not, I haven't owned any cartridges since I sold off my Atari 800XL. Only cartridge system I ever had. (A hybrid PC / console, man those were heady days ... ). Never owned a game console.

Never owned a game console.. but but.. Zelda bro!
    Pre-Zelda... Tetris on the IBM PC. And I may be out of practice, but I am STILL the Queen. Nobody needs no stinkin' consoles.
  • Dormammu
    Dormammu Posts: 3,531 Chairperson of the Boards
    One of the things that I personally would like to see is more lightning rounds, and more varied lightning rounds. I really enjoyed the recent Sakaar Arena ones because they were held on the WEEKEND and allowed me to actually participate.

There is such an opportunity for more themed lightning rounds with different boosted lists, at different times. Lightning rounds are mostly indistinguishable from when they were introduced 4 years ago, and that's sad.

Supports would have been more exciting if they had done something like they did with XP and 'grandfathered' veteran players with a sum of riso that made at least one support usable to advanced rosters.
  • The rockett
    The rockett Posts: 2,016 Chairperson of the Boards
    Dormammu said:
    One of the things that I personally would like to see is more lightning rounds, and more varied lightning rounds. I really enjoyed the recent Sakaar Arena ones because they were held on the WEEKEND and allowed me to actually participate.

There is such an opportunity for more themed lightning rounds with different boosted lists, at different times. Lightning rounds are mostly indistinguishable from when they were introduced 4 years ago, and that's sad.

Supports would have been more exciting if they had done something like they did with XP and 'grandfathered' veteran players with a sum of riso that made at least one support usable to advanced rosters.
    Gasp.  You mean they could have done an LR tied to Infinity Wars?   Wow.  You don’t say. Here is to hoping.  
  • HoundofShadow
    HoundofShadow Posts: 8,004 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited April 2018
    The problem with intially "new" update like 5* feeders and new characters is that once they become a schedule, players take these updates for granted and they expect this to be a norm. If any of these "schedules" are delayed, they will kick up a fuss in the forum. 

There was a new Wakanda PvE with hazard tiles and some players were crying over this event, complaining about "neutrality" unfairness, the event being a healthpack whirlpool, and the PvE slowing down their finish time. Their common solution is to remove hazard tiles. Basically, this group of players want something new yet easy to accomplish without using too much time or healthpack. The developers came up with something new and some players just have to complain about it. 

Many of the updates from MPQ are usually meant for the long run: Bonus Hero, DDQ, 5* feeder, PvE changes, Support etc. Unfortunately, this forum has a number of players who are interested in only instant gratification. They are not interested in long term plan, but they want new things to satisfy their gratification immediately.

If you look at the updates that MPQ have made since its inception, there have been many major updates. If you were to play MPQ after these major updates were made, you're not going to feel that there's any major update.

Again, it boils down to expectation and perspective. MPQ have at least 5 groups of players: 1* to 5*. Each group of players have different expectations and goals. The developers are likely to make updates based on how it affects the game as a whole and in the long run while each group of players see each update or feature purely from where they are currently and usually disregard what happens to players "below" them. It's virtually impossible to ask players in 4* or 5* to think how certain updates or features affect players in 1*-3* because they don't care and they don't have to. They have already passed the stage. They are only interested in how it affects them.

There's a perceived disconnect because the developers have to see things from the views of 1* to 5* players and then strike a balance.