Sagas

FindingHeart8
FindingHeart8 Posts: 2,730 Chairperson of the Boards
edited April 2018 in MtGPQ General Discussion
Do you think they're going to be a thing in mtgpq?  If so, how do you think they'd work?

Perhaps 3-shield supports with a (lose 1 shield per turn then ability triggers), but that would prevent their 3rd ability if you manage to hit the shield with a gem swap making the support much less powerful.

Maybe a 1-shield and it gains shields?  However if you shut it down on turn 1 it's still not good.  Having it start a 3-shield though and gain shields until activation (then destroy itself) would make it OP.

For those who don't know what a saga is, here's one from the mtg card game of a statue of Gerrard beating what I would assume is Volrath or (probably more likely) Yawgmoth.

httpsmediawizardscom2018domen_H6XCSAb7Yxpng

Comments

• Mburn7
    Mburn7 Posts: 3,427 Chairperson of the Boards
    I have a feeling they won't adapt Sagas into PQ.  Its been done in the past where unique mechanics and cards dont get adapted due to their complexity.  I would assume Sagas will be like that.
  • wereotter
    wereotter Posts: 2,064 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited April 2018
    Sagas likely will be self-destroying supports that don't reinforce, not unlike Trial of Ambition. When they lose a shield they trigger the next chapter in the saga, or if they lose a shield from gem matches, you can maybe avoid a step? That's the only part I'm not sure how they'd handle.

Also, Crovax killed Volrath, so not him :)
  • Mburn7
    Mburn7 Posts: 3,427 Chairperson of the Boards
    wereotter said:
    Sagas likely will be self-destroying supports that don't reinforce, not unlike Trial of Ambition. When they lose a shield they trigger the next chapter in the saga, or if they lose a shield from gem matches, you can maybe avoid a step? That's the only part I'm not sure how they'd handle.
    They could make it like Treasures, which trigger regardless of who matches them.  The biggest issue I see with that is a green gem-match wave triggering every action at once, which kind of defeats the purpose of the Saga.

I think this is going to prove too complex for the devs.  
  • wereotter
    wereotter Posts: 2,064 Chairperson of the Boards
    Mburn7 said:
    wereotter said:
    They could make it like Treasures, which trigger regardless of who matches them.  The biggest issue I see with that is a green gem-match wave triggering every action at once, which kind of defeats the purpose of the Saga.

I think this is going to prove too complex for the devs.  
    Or it could just not trigger the step at all if the support loses a shield as a result of gem matches. That's probably easier to code as well.
  • Laeuftbeidir
    Laeuftbeidir Posts: 1,841 Chairperson of the Boards
    I'd assume they might implement it like ascend - a symbol next to the pw image, indicating which saga is active. The alternative could be three sided supports.
  • FindingHeart8
    Ooooh, I didn't consider "Activate 1 Gem: ability and this support gains 1 shield, destroy it at 3 with ultimate ability," that might be possible too.

@wereotter thanks for the reminder on that. :)
    I guess I was thinking of Volrath's impersonator.  But, looking back, I'm almost certain it's Yawgmoth and not the impersonator.
  • mrixl2520
    mrixl2520 Posts: 240 Tile Toppler
    I hope they include them, I think mechanically they should work. Artwork might be difficult considering its a vertical register :/
  • Kinesia
    Kinesia Posts: 1,621 Chairperson of the Boards
    Indestructible countdown supports.
  • octal9
    octal9 Posts: 593 Critical Contributor
    Do you think they're going to be a thing in mtgpq? 
    I do.

No idea how they'll work, but I think they've figured out how to adapt them (past tense because set mechanics should be done at this point).
  • DBJones
    DBJones Posts: 803 Critical Contributor
    Maybe a support starting with two shields and "At the beginning of your turn, if this support has <4 shields and a shield and 'saga I/II effect', otherwise 'saga III effect' and this support is destroyed"?
  • khurram
    khurram Posts: 1,077 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited April 2018
    Enough with the self-destructing supports. How about one with no count down on the shields but alternating effects each turn like the final boss Azor has in Bo4T event.
  • Kinesia
    Kinesia Posts: 1,621 Chairperson of the Boards
    @khurram this is a different case. The Sagas are actually meant to behave like that.
  • khurram
    You mean they get destroyed or leave the battle field in paper magic?
  • ard021
    ard021 Posts: 39 Just Dropped In
    khurram said:
    Yes.  The saga comes into play with a lore counter on it.  It gets another one after each of your draw steps, and you sacrifice it when it's at III.  See here.  The rules text at the top is how all of them work (and all the sagas in Dominaria go to 3 counters.)
  • khurram
    ard021 said:
    khurram said:
    Yes.  The saga comes into play with a lore counter on it.  It gets another one after each of your draw steps, and you sacrifice it when it's at III.  See here.  The rules text at the top is how all of them work (and all the sagas in Dominaria go to 3 counters.)
    Ah, I see. I guese it makes sense then. 
  • James13
    James13 Posts: 665 Critical Contributor
    My suggestion:

Sagas as specific event node theme effects.
  • Firinmahlazer
    Firinmahlazer Posts: 417 Mover and Shaker
    Mburn7 said:
    I have a feeling they won't adapt Sagas into PQ.  Its been done in the past where unique mechanics and cards dont get adapted due to their complexity.  I would assume Sagas will be like that.
    I said the same thing about Karn. 
  • FindingHeart8
    Mburn7 said:
    I said the same thing about Karn. 
    a fair point lol