Karn Discussion

Options
Krishna
Krishna Posts: 205 Tile Toppler
Is he the Hero this match 3 game needs, of the one it deserves?

He looks to be insanely OP, but so did Bolas and we coped more or less.

I will say, I am NOT looking forward to 5 color Karn decks. That's too OP. But then again, there will be no Omni/ HUF in standard once the new set comes out, so there's at least that.

AI is going to spam that 1st ability so bad. 5 is too cheap in my opinion. the Standard 9 would be just fine.

Also, what does the 3rd ability do? Maybe we could get details before May 23rd, 8:00AM UTC.

So, is Karn the true Overlord of Valuetown? You decide!

Comments

• GrizzoMtGPQ
    GrizzoMtGPQ Posts: 776 Critical Contributor
    Options
    @wereotter you'll see full color Karn in Across Ixalan. Once a week.
  • Krishna
    Options
    TG? im scared of HOD/ TOS. 
  • FindingHeart8
    FindingHeart8 Posts: 2,730 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    wait, I know this is a spoof, but is this a spoof off of the real thing or just 100% spoof?
  • Brakkis
    Brakkis Posts: 777 Critical Contributor
    Options
    wait, I know this is a spoof, but is this a spoof off of the real thing or just 100% spoof?
    https://forums.d3go.com/discussion/72056/2-6-release-notes-4-19-18/p1
  • Grixis197
    Grixis197 Posts: 188 Tile Toppler
    Options
    Karn has 120hp not 100 in that picture
  • Quantius
    Quantius Posts: 228 Tile Toppler
    Options
    Good news - Karn is dope, love this PW.
    Bad news - He'll never get leveled with his insatiable rune thirst.
  • Krishna
    Options
    Grixis197 said:
    Karn has 120hp not 100 in that picture
    cool! i thought 100 HP didnt fit Karn. Whats his Ult?
  • madwren
    madwren Posts: 2,227 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited April 2018
    Options
    The 3rd ability creates a construct token (3/3, 6/6, 9/9, or 12/12) that has prevent damage if you control 3 supports, If you only have 2 supports, it reinforces an existing support, and returns the first support back from your graveyard and gives it X mana (10 mana at level 4, 6 at level 3)
  • Krishna
    Options
    So I sprung on Karn, had a few bucks from Google Opinion Rewards so it cost me $12.65. Now THAT is Valuetown. Seriously, good on ya Oktagon/ D3 for offering this deal.

However.... I put him at lvl 6 to try out his fist ability, but using it did not affect my mana gains at all. is it broken, or will it only affect a + mana bonus?
  • Krishna
    Options
    Don't give me that much credit hahah. But after editing it, I could probably put together a phony one from scratch. I got the font down decently good :smiley: ... hmmm
  • DBJones
    DBJones Posts: 803 Critical Contributor
    Options
    @Krishna, at level six his first ability will only give you a mana bonus if you choose a colorless card.
  • FindingHeart8
    edited April 2018
    Options
    Krishna said:
    Don't give me that much credit hahah. But after editing it, I could probably put together a phony one from scratch. I got the font down decently good :smiley: ... hmmm
    Yeah I hadn't seen the release notes yet.  Step aside Bolas and Kiora, the real most OP planeswalker has entered the ring!! lol
  • wereotter
    wereotter Posts: 2,064 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Krishna said:
    So I sprung on Karn, had a few bucks from Google Opinion Rewards so it cost me $12.65. Now THAT is Valuetown. Seriously, good on ya Oktagon/ D3 for offering this deal.

However.... I put him at lvl 6 to try out his fist ability, but using it did not affect my mana gains at all. is it broken, or will it only affect a + mana bonus?
    At low levels, you can only adjust your mana gains when you use his ability by picking the colorless card. Cards that have a color don’t effect your mana bonuses. 
  • FindingHeart8
    Options
    anyone got a guess on how many crystals he'll eventually cost?
  • Mburn7
    Mburn7 Posts: 3,427 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Since he has the same rune leveling as Bolas, I'd assume the same cost of 950.  
    But nothing official yet (as usual)
  • FindingHeart8
    Options
    Mburn7 said:
    Since he has the same rune leveling as Bolas, I'd assume the same cost of 950.  
    But nothing official yet (as usual)
    do you mean 850?  That's how much Bolas was
  • James13
    James13 Posts: 665 Critical Contributor
    edited April 2018
    Options
    madwren said:
    The 3rd ability creates a construct token (3/3, 6/6, 9/9, or 12/12) that has prevent damage if you control 3 supports, If you only have 2 supports, it reinforces an existing support, and returns the first support back from your graveyard and gives it X mana (10 mana at level 4, 6 at level 3)
    Not quite.

Level 1 stats is 8/8, level 2 is 8/8, level 3 is 12/12, and level 4 is 12/12.

Level 1 only has the prevent damage extra effect.

Level 2 has the return effect with 6 mana as well, no reinforce.

Level 3 is the same as level 2 but 12/12 and adds 8 mana to the returned card.  No reinforce.

Level 4 is the same as 3, but adds 10 mana to the returned card and reinforces another support.

You also missed that the secondary return a support ability requires 2 supports *or more*.  There is no "if you only have 2" to it.  It also triggers at the end of your turn.
  • Brigby
    Brigby ADMINISTRATORS Posts: 7,757 Site Admin
    Options
    Here's Karn's official Planeswalker Details thread, if anyone is interested: Karn, Scion of Urza