Simple, time-saving quality-of-life PvE improvement: Replay button

DrDoMe
DrDoMe Posts: 97 Match Maker

In PvE, replaying a single node requires a minimum of six taps:

Fight finished - Victory!
Screen 1 - You Won! Tap Next.
Screen 2 - NEW REWARD!  Tap to open.
Screen (2 still?) - Reward revealed.  Tap Claim.
Screen 3 - Back to the sub-event screen.  Tap on your node again.
Screen 4 - Node selection - shows the guys you just fought.  Tap Replay Mission.
Screen 5 - Team selection.  Tap Fight!
Screen 6 - Boosts/Team-Ups selection.  Tap FIGHT!

This is the bare minimum number of taps when you are replaying one of the easy nodes (where enemies don't get harder, so you don't get that screen) and assuming you haven't hit a progression reward.  The more common scenario is that you're replaying a mission where the enemies level up after the first 4 fights, and that process starts with 

Optional Screen 0 - See how the people you fought just got stronger!  Tap Next.

If you also hit a progression milestone you get

Optional Screen 3.5 - Progression rewards.  Tap Claim Rewards.
Optional Screen 3.5.5 - Next reward at... Tap Continue.

That's a lot of taps.  And more importantly (to me at least) that's a lot of sudden cuts to black between each screen.  But it's also time-consuming.

So here's what I propose - let's add some things to this screen (Screen 1 in the list above):

The main thing is to add a "Replay" button that takes the player to the team selection screen (Screen 5, above)
I think ideally this button would skip all the way to the start of the match with the team you just used, but there are some complications.  What happens if one of your team was downed?  What if someone wasn't downed but you wanted to heal them before replaying?  What if you want to add or remove boosts?  I think these things could be solved to allow the button to jump right back into the battle, but I think the simpler solution is for the "Replay" button to lead to the team selection screen replaying the same node you just finished.  That still saves between 4 and 6 taps while allowing for things like healing, character swapping, or backing out of the process when you change your mind.

But!  In order for a Replay button to work on this screen, we also need to add something telling us how many times we've already done the event.
Given that the standard optimal strategy for PvE is to play each node 4 times right away and then wait for points to recharge, we'd need something on this screen to tell us if we've finished that process or not.  If it were me, I'd put the "4/6 Rewards Earned" above the replay button and "FULL POINTS in 23h59m" at the top of the screen to the right of the display showing the points just earned, but that's just an idea.

Some Alternative methods to limit taps:
  • Provide a user setting to auto-accept all rewards and skip those screens.  This would save 2-4 taps on PvE and be similarly helpful on PvP.
  • Provide an option on the Fight confirmation screen when selecting boosts and team-ups that says "Fight 4X" that just plays the mission 4 times in rapid succession.
Tagged:

Comments

• Smart80
    Smart80 Posts: 748 Critical Contributor
    I would like to suggest a couple additions

- combine the team selection and boosts, perhaps easiest with just a boost button in screen 5, which would bring you to screen 6, and adds the final fight button to screen 5

- if this all too much, turn the repeater symbol on the nodes map into a counter instead, so we can easily see on the map how many times we’ve hit it. Especially handy on 48h subs...
  • therightwaye
    therightwaye Posts: 459 Mover and Shaker
    Would you like to see a replay button like the one suggested here: https://forums.d3go.com/discussion/72060/simple-time-saving-quality-of-life-pve-improvement-replay-button/p1?new=1

Just a way to replay a mission without having to click the node again, click next, and next and dialogue skip, again and again and again.
  • DJSquiggy
    DJSquiggy Posts: 97 Match Maker
    Reduce menu time?  yes please!
  • Stax the Foyer
    Stax the Foyer Posts: 941 Critical Contributor
    Why, yes.  I would like a replay button. 

Thank you for providing the community with this opportunity to demonstrate our collective interest in such a feature.

I hope everyone who shares our interest in a replay button will reply to this thread with a comment, so that we can demonstrate the breadth of interest in such a feature.
  • Punter1
    Punter1 Posts: 718 Critical Contributor
    DrDoMe said:

In PvE, can we have more supports please

Cynically, this is what I think the Devs see...
  • Arix90
    Arix90 Posts: 244 Tile Toppler
    edited April 2018
    Useful but Less clears required for progression  would be even nicer 
  • SymmeTrey
    SymmeTrey Posts: 170 Tile Toppler
    edited April 2018
    Yes, a thousand times yes.

The current interface was designed way back in a time when you played each node one time every 2.5 hours. You could do an end grind-down, but, it wasn't a big deal.

Now, we are in the "play each node 4 times in a row, and sometime later play each node 3 times in a row" era. We need some interface tweaks to optimize the experience for the current repeated playing of the same node.
  • The rockett
    The rockett Posts: 2,016 Chairperson of the Boards
    Yes yes yes.  I do not need to reselect the same team for these nodes.  
  • Bowgentle
    Bowgentle Posts: 7,926 Chairperson of the Boards
    Yes, please.
  • RedLion
    RedLion Posts: 70 Match Maker
    Absolutely, my estimate is it would cut my time to 4 clears in PVE by 8-12%. 
  • Basepuzzler
    Basepuzzler Posts: 180 Tile Toppler
    Yes please!
  • animaniactoo
    animaniactoo Posts: 486 Mover and Shaker
    Yes, that would be extremely useful.

But I suggest you remake this thread with a new poll now because this one is guaranteed to get closed because there is no neutral option. You need "Yes" "No" and "Doesn't matter to me either way" (which is probably your meh in which case you have no negative option).

From the forum rules - and I've noticed this getting cracked down on hard:

13. All polls must be unbiased. They must contain at least one neutral option, and an equal amount of opposing options. (For example: Yes, Neutral, No) 

They also must not contain supplementary comments (For example, "Yes...because this is my supporting opinion") or joke options (For Example, "Yes, No, Maybe, Pizza is delicious") *New Update*

• grandmasterj7
    grandmasterj7 Posts: 2 Just Dropped In
    Once a battle is complete, you should be able to see 1/6, 2/6, etc.  and point value of the node somewhere on the screen next to the replay button.
  • Nick441234
    Nick441234 Posts: 1,496 Chairperson of the Boards
    Absolutely yes!!!!
    658 Posts: 51 Match Maker
    So very much yes!  
  • Ducky
    Ducky Posts: 2,255 Community Moderator
    **I have merged the Replay Button thread in General DIscussion into the prior thread in Suggestions. Please do not start threads on topics that already exist (see Rule 11). Thanks!**
  • jredd
    jredd Posts: 1,387 Chairperson of the Boards
    i've brought this up a few times here n there. would be a significant time saver.
  • DrDoMe
    DrDoMe Posts: 97 Match Maker
    edited April 2018
    Ducky said:
    **I have merged the Replay Button thread in General DIscussion into the prior thread in Suggestions. Please do not start threads on topics that already exist (see Rule 11). Thanks!**
    I believe his intention was to create a poll to get feedback on my idea.  Do you think it's unreasonable to make a poll about a feature and have those be two separate threads?
  • Jexman
    Jexman Posts: 165 Tile Toppler
    Yes I am interested in a replay button yes please.
  • Dragon_Nexus
    Dragon_Nexus Posts: 3,701 Chairperson of the Boards
    Why, yes.  I would like a replay button. 

Thank you for providing the community with this opportunity to demonstrate our collective interest in such a feature.

I hope everyone who shares our interest in a replay button will reply to this thread with a comment, so that we can demonstrate the breadth of interest in such a feature.
    I'm not sure how sarcastic this post is, but I'm gonna contribute regardless =)

Yes please! Replay button, please!
    Unless it means ruining the Steam UI further, in which case no thanks...