Provided teams for story events

Barbarizenow
Barbarizenow Posts: 15 Just Dropped In
Does anyone else have trouble beating opponent teams in story events with the provided team? I am seriously starting to doubt the fairness of the game when the team THEY PROVIDE can't even win against the opponents they demand you defeat to continue with the story.

Comments

• Rod5
    Rod5 Posts: 584 Critical Contributor
    Sounds like you might be in a CL sbove your roster strength...if you don’t have the characters on your roster it will be difficult to be competitive at higher CLs.
  • Dormammu
    Dormammu Posts: 3,531 Chairperson of the Boards
    Are you using your own champed characters, or the loaners? If you're using loaners, often the required characters for an event don't provide much use for synergy and it can be a challenge. If you're using your own characters and can't win, you're in too high of a SCL. 
  • TPF Alexis
    TPF Alexis Posts: 3,826 Chairperson of the Boards
    FfW is the only event where I have trouble with this. Every other time, even with bad Required combos on Venom Bomb, Simulator, or HaT, I've been able to deal with them no problem. But the FfW ones are a nightmare. The only times I've ever wiped on the Loaner nodes.
  • Rod5
    Dormammu said:
    Are you using your own champed characters, or the loaners? If you're using loaners, often the required characters for an event don't provide much use for synergy and it can be a challenge. If you're using your own characters and can't win, you're in too high of a SCL. 
    Indeed, with champed XFW it’s not an issue - I wouldn’t want to have to use the loaners for one of the higher CLs though.
  • DeNappa
    DeNappa Posts: 1,368 Chairperson of the Boards
    Whenever there's an all-loaner node, I usually go with all loaners even if I have the character covered myself. But while the teams that they come up with are more often than not 'meh' (or worse) they tend to be winnable.
  • MoosePrime
    MoosePrime Posts: 946 Critical Contributor
    edited April 2018
    I usually also use all the loaners, if I lose, it doesn't cost any health packs.
  • Rockwell75
    Rockwell75 Posts: 268 Mover and Shaker
    I always bring good teamups for this reason.
  • DAZ0273
    DAZ0273 Posts: 9,571 Chairperson of the Boards
    I also use the loaners generally to save healthpacks. It was amusing that Moonstone had more health than a 4*.
  • Quebbster
    Quebbster Posts: 8,070 Chairperson of the Boards

I never use the loaners, it's usually easy enough to beat the node. Takes a bit longer than the regular nodes though.

In fact, I can only remember wiping on a loaner node once, in Honor Among Thieves. Those Mindless Ones should not be underestimated...

Then again, I have almost all fourstars champed and they tend to do a lot of the Heavy lifting. The loaner node can be a bit rough when a new release is the essential fourstar...

• twistmonkey
    twistmonkey Posts: 79 Match Maker
    If no special tile enemies, bring C&D yellow team up +2 TU AP boost. If enemies DO create specials, switch out C&D TU for blade or JG purple - makes these fights go a lot quicker when you're in a hurry
  • Quebbster
    If no special tile enemies, bring C&D yellow team up +2 TU AP boost. If enemies DO create specials, switch out C&D TU for blade or JG purple - makes these fights go a lot quicker when you're in a hurry

Not really an option when you have to use the Three featured characters and your only option is loaner or no loaner...
  • Blindman13
    Blindman13 Posts: 504 Critical Contributor
    Quebbster said:

Not really an option when you have to use the Three featured characters and your only option is loaner or no loaner...
    Note that @twistmonkey said bring them as Team Up abilities, not bring the character themselves. You can do this even on the loaner nodes that require you to use 3 specific characters.
    If you don't have them as Team Up abilities, request them from your alliance mates.
  • Quebbster
    Quebbster said:

Note that @twistmonkey said bring them as Team Up abilities, not bring the character themselves. You can do this even on the loaner nodes that require you to use 3 specific characters.
    If you don't have them as Team Up abilities, request them from your alliance mates.

Guess I should read closer. Or get more coffee.

I rarely use teamups in a tactical way though, I just go with whatever the game gives me from what's available. But as I said I rarely have trouble with the teamup nodes anyway, so I should probably stop talking now.

• ThaRoadWarrior
    ThaRoadWarrior Posts: 9,125 Chairperson of the Boards
    I thought this round of required in Simulator, while not a team I'd have put together, has proven to have a bit of synergy.

There is a decent amount of color overlap, and no green active at all, but both Magn3to and Moonstone can give a little control over what is happening on the board for Bamf! (which is still in desperate need of an active UI to tell you what color is most prevalent). Then depending on the opponent AP situation, you can use Nightcrawler's blue or Magn3tos, and depending on your AP situation, you can use Nightcrawler's red or Moonstone's. And if you set up a red board with Bamf!, Moonstone's red will hit pretty hard. Maybe it's a stretch, but at least there is something there this time lol.
  • Quebbster
    I thought this round of required in Simulator, while not a team I'd have put together, has proven to have a bit of synergy.

There is a decent amount of color overlap, and no green active at all, but both Magn3to and Moonstone can give a little control over what is happening on the board for Bamf! (which is still in desperate need of an active UI to tell you what color is most prevalent). Then depending on the opponent AP situation, you can use Nightcrawler's blue or Magn3tos, and depending on your AP situation, you can use Nightcrawler's red or Moonstone's. And if you set up a red board with Bamf!, Moonstone's red will hit pretty hard. Maybe it's a stretch, but at least there is something there this time lol.
    I thought the required twostar for Simulator was Storm...? Moonstone is required in Fight for Wakanda...
  • ThaRoadWarrior
    ThaRoadWarrior Posts: 9,125 Chairperson of the Boards
    Sorry, yeah, my bad; i sort of merged today's Burrito node with that one in my mind lol. But at any rate, you can control the board a little with storm's green...
  • randomhero1090
    randomhero1090 Posts: 396 Mover and Shaker
    I went up to level 7 to grab the 4* progression.  I don't have any 4* champed (do have a 4/3/5 lvl 180 vulture which helps).  Decent 3* rostered with a bunch champed.  But i'll tell ya, this PVE is kicking my behind.  Looks like I will still make max progression but I really needed to work it.  I need to figure out my workable combos in order to get it done sooner.  But it's going to take me right to wire for max progression.

Moonstone, Mys and X-Force don't help the cause.
  • Rod5
    Any champed 4* or 3* is able to push through unless they really are garbage tier.

I use TUs purely because they are often quicker, esp if the 4* is a new character - don’t want to lose points in a tight bracket because the loaner node took too long

That said, if the character is one I have champed and is decent I would never bother with TUs.
  • Quebbster
    Rod5 said:
    Any champed 4* or 3* is able to push through unless they really are garbage tier.

I use TUs purely because they are often quicker, esp if the 4* is a new character - don’t want to lose points in a tight bracket because the loaner node took too long

That said, if the character is one I have champed and is decent I would never bother with TUs.

I recall last run of Webbed Wonder being fairly difficult when the essential characters were Kraven (new release), D3adpool and Moonstone. Lots of color overlap and not a whole lot of offensive oomph...