Facebook replacement for saves should be considered

With all the negative association with Facebook and the announcement of an FTC investigation into there wrongdoing, people are wanting to jump ship on Facebook (even CEO Elon Musk did for SpaceX and Tesla). I think a replacement for saves should be addressed in a future update. At this point, all eggs are in one basket and should the $90 billion loss continue to add up for Facebook, what will happen to this game and the saves we all have should there service stop working properly. 
Tagged:

Comments

• Blergh
    Blergh Posts: 159 Tile Toppler
    Isn't there an option to save to Google in the menu? 
  • kyrain
    kyrain Posts: 32 Just Dropped In
    THIS.

I only still have facebook because I cant save this game otherwise. Very frustrating.
  • granne
    granne Posts: 852 Critical Contributor
    kyrain said:
    THIS.

I only still have facebook because I cant save this game otherwise. Very frustrating.
    Same here. I stopped using the book of faces years ago, and had been about to delete my account when I started playing MPQ.
  • Heartbreaksoup
    Heartbreaksoup Posts: 352 Mover and Shaker
    edited April 2018
    +1. I would love to delete my Facebook.  I can't just now, because I need it for my position at work (I maintain my agency's social media accounts), but that won't always be the case and I don't like having so much personal data available to advertisers and creeps just to save video games.
  • Dormammu
    Dormammu Posts: 3,531 Chairperson of the Boards
    This game is the ONLY reason my empty shell of a Facebook account exists. It's the ONLY reason I created a Facebook account in the first place. I would love to rid myself of Facebook entirely, even if it meant the loss of rewards sharing between friends (which is a barely noticeable trickle anyway).

I get that it's much more difficult to back-up games across multiple platforms, but they all have that built-in ability now (Google, Apple, Steam).
  • Jrlrma
    Jrlrma Posts: 65 Match Maker
    Idk why you cant save the data to icloud. Makes no sense
  • HoundofShadow
    HoundofShadow Posts: 8,004 Chairperson of the Boards
    Are we seeing different things here? I can see the option to backup to Google. 
  • Agent Why
    Agent Why Posts: 8 Just Dropped In
    Just make a fake Fakebook account. That is probably just as damaging to Zuk & the Fakesters as deleting your account. 

You do NOT need the Fakebook app on your phone in order to use MPQ game-save (or any other game-save for that matter).

Create your fake Fakebook account using a web browser. Put a cartoon pic in you profile, maybe log in once a year. Probably a good idea to clear all your browser’s cookies after contaminating it by touching the FB site. Also a good idea to use browser plugins to block social media buttons. This is how they track people who don’t even have accounts. 
  • Bowgentle
    Bowgentle Posts: 7,926 Chairperson of the Boards
    Are we seeing different things here? I can see the option to backup to Google. 
    No google backup on iOS.
  • granne
    granne Posts: 852 Critical Contributor
    The Google backup doesn't allow switching devices. I'm probably a rare case, but I also play on both Android and iOS, so platform-specific save options would be of limited use.
  • JSP869
    JSP869 Posts: 820 Critical Contributor
    Requiring a Facebook account facilitates people creating fake FB accounts and adding 5,000 "Friends" to take advantage of the "Share rewards" mechanism.

Better would be a proper cloud/server-side back-up so people switching platforms or who play on both an Android phone and an Ipad would not be disadvantaged.

Also as a suggestion, scrap the Share to FB mechanism, and have the game pick 3 active Alliance members (active, as in played within the past 5-7 days) to share the rewards with.
  • Pongie
    Pongie Posts: 1,410 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited April 2018
    JSP869 said:
    Requiring a Facebook account facilitates people creating fake FB accounts and adding 5,000 "Friends" to take advantage of the "Share rewards" mechanism.

Better would be a proper cloud/server-side back-up so people switching platforms or who play on both an Android phone and an Ipad would not be disadvantaged.

Also as a suggestion, scrap the Share to FB mechanism, and have the game pick 3 active Alliance members (active, as in played within the past 5-7 days) to share the rewards with.
    I don't have 5000 randoms on my mpq facebook account but it is over a thousand. Would not mind getting rid of it if they implement Alliance sharing instead. Why limit it at 3 though and not the full 20?