Supports Cooldown

GrimSkald
GrimSkald Posts: 2,489 Chairperson of the Boards

I'm curious, I wonder what the reasoning is behind the 2 hour cooldown before you can switch a support to another character.  I've been thinking about it and haven't come up with any ideas that I find truly satisfying.  I'm not trying to be confrontational - I don't care about the cooldown much one way or the other, but I wonder what the rationale is.

An answer from a red name would be welcome, of course, but I don't really expect one - it's a minor question and we ask them a lot of questions.  I invite anyone who has a good guess to weigh in.

Tagged:

Comments

• tiomono
    tiomono Posts: 1,651 Chairperson of the Boards
    They said in the initial release announcement that it was to "avoid the situation where the best strategy is to swap your support setup between each match." 

So that was their thinking anyway. I'm not sure if it that would really become a problem, but they apparently thought it could.
  • Phumade
    Phumade Posts: 2,477 Chairperson of the Boards
    I agree with the idea of the cool down.  There were many situations where I might have alternated who's actually is equipping avengers towers.
    By default I had avengers tower equipped to BB protecting SL/grocket strike tiles.  But on some nodes I swapped to a DD based team and i really wanted to swap avenger towers.

So the cool down really did force met to think who was gonna get the best value out of the support for that play session.

My only issue at this point, is that the interface is bit kludgy and not very clear.  Hard to tell who's got what support equipped and how long before another char can use that support.  Hope they get some meaningful feedback and make the UI a bit more clearer and easy to use.

• broll
    broll Posts: 4,732 Chairperson of the Boards
    I don't have a problem with it now, but if this goes to PvP I would think the 2 hour cool down is going to be a pain.  I often try to do my PvE and PvP close together at least once a day and it would shock me if the same supports that are best for PvE are best for PvP.
  • Jarvind
    Jarvind Posts: 1,684 Chairperson of the Boards
    I assume to make it harder to save healthpacks by switching your active team a bunch rather than keep healing your A-team.
  • froggerjohn
    froggerjohn Posts: 373 Mover and Shaker
    The main problem I have with the concept, is that it discourages swapping players (assuming a point where supports are leveled to make a notable difference). There's way too much repetition in PvE, and I'm at a point where I'm trying to build out alternate teams to help stave off monotony. So the last thing I want is motivation to keep the same players going.

• Orion
    Orion Posts: 1,295 Chairperson of the Boards
    The main problem I have with the concept, is that it discourages swapping players (assuming a point where supports are leveled to make a notable difference). There's way too much repetition in PvE, and I'm at a point where I'm trying to build out alternate teams to help stave off monotony. So the last thing I want is motivation to keep the same players going.

Well there’s 14 supports right now. So maybe your play style is better suited to 14 lower level supports instead of 3 higher level ones. Then you can attach them all to more characters.