Supports are here! What are you doing with them?

Comments

• ThaRoadWarrior
    ThaRoadWarrior Posts: 9,125 Chairperson of the Boards
    I'm doing nothing with them until i get a better sense of how regularly we'll be getting red-iso/covers for them. I put the Elemental Guns on 5* Lord to see what the deal was, the vintage shield on Flaptain, and the Avengers Tower on IM40. I almost never find myself using either of those two characters though, so I think it'll be a Fit-and-Forget situation.
  • madoctor
    madoctor Posts: 292 Mover and Shaker
    Nothing
  • Brigby
    Brigby ADMINISTRATORS Posts: 7,757 Site Admin
    Alfje17 said:

Did everybody get the same supports to start off with? I got Star-Lord's guns, Avenger's Tower and Cap's WWII Shield, but other people talk about Hydra Henchmen.

Equipped all 3 to the 3 chars I used most, even if it doesn't make much difference, there's no reason not to use them.

Hydra Henchmen can only be equipped to Villains, so they'd appear locked with slightly lower color opacity (hue? brightness? I forget those fancy art terminologies). Is it possible that it just blended in with the Supports you haven't acquired yet?

If that's not the case, then yes, please send a ticket to Customer Support and they can assist you.
  • froggerjohn
    froggerjohn Posts: 373 Mover and Shaker
    I put the yellow AP one on IM40, but it will take a match-4 or the odd single-yellow pickup from another match4+ to coincide with when this procs. Not likely to make much difference, until I have other yellow-users with appropriate AP needs.

Does anyone know if "Fires a power" includes the passives?  I put Element Guns on Dr. Strange with the hopes that this is the case, but haven't seen it proc yet. (Haven't played many matches yet, either).

Not planning to put riso into any of them until getting some more intel and/or experience.
  • randomhero1090
    randomhero1090 Posts: 396 Mover and Shaker
    Got some Support Tokens and more Red ISO.  Put the Red ISO into the tower.  Figured since I use IM40 I would boost that one.

I was a bit upset...  maybe my own fault...  I didn't know you could PACK higher level supports.  You can pack a 4 or 5 star Support.  Maybe that was shared, I totally missed it.  I pumped Red ISO into a Support, and I bet I end up hitting a 2*+ Tower at some point.
  • Brigby
    Brigby ADMINISTRATORS Posts: 7,757 Site Admin
    Got some Support Tokens and more Red ISO.  Put the Red ISO into the tower.  Figured since I use IM40 I would boost that one.

I was a bit upset...  maybe my own fault...  I didn't know you could PACK higher level supports.  You can pack a 4 or 5 star Support.  Maybe that was shared, I totally missed it.  I pumped Red ISO into a Support, and I bet I end up hitting a 2*+ Tower at some point.
    You retain the level of your Support, even when moving up to a higher Rank, so you don't need to worry about Red Iso-8 going to waste when transitioning to higher Ranks :)
  • Polly_P1
    Polly_P1 Posts: 99 Match Maker
    If you have Milano I would recomend you put it with either rocket or gamora 4*. At the start of the game it has synergy that makes a 3 turn countdown tile that does damage. But even at level 1 that damage gets compounded by rockets strike tiles. Basically a free damage blast. I have a feeling at level 259 this will be major damage.
  • froggerjohn
    froggerjohn Posts: 373 Mover and Shaker
    IM40 may not be a good candidate for Avengers Tower after all. It has a synergy perk that converts 2 tiles to red. Only happens on a 20% chance when firing a power, but I'd hate for that to screw up the current board state.
  • DyingLegend
    DyingLegend Posts: 1,191 Chairperson of the Boards
    I don't think they contribute enough to make a meaningful impact or even a noticeable difference in a match.

I have them equipped on my mainly used characters, and haven't noticed a single change.
  • BoyWonder1914
    BoyWonder1914 Posts: 884 Critical Contributor
    With the the 3 tokens they provided, I managed to pull the Milano, the X-Jet, and Lv 2 Quad Blaster, which upgraded my current one and gave me 1400 Red Iso. If pulling additional levels is gonna be this easy, I'll definitely start investing some Red Iso in the short term. Thing is, there currently doesn't appear to be many, if any ways to earn support tokens aside from buying these HFH they are undoubtedly gonna start cranking out with some seriousness. 
  • kk3thess
    kk3thess Posts: 202 Tile Toppler
    I'm ignoring them till they really make any difference in the gameplay.
  • Dragon_Nexus
    Dragon_Nexus Posts: 3,701 Chairperson of the Boards

It's a slightly confusing system early on because supports have both a rank and a level.

The rank isn't changable by you, you can only carry one support of each type but you carry the highest rank you have. So if you have a 1* rank support and then obtain a dupe of that support but it's 3* rank, your 1* gets sold off and replaced by your new 3*. Each support's abilities are unlocked as they gain ranks, so that 3* you got now has three abilities instead of the previous one ability your 1* had

Meanwhile there are support levels. Each support can be fed red ISO to level up and their abilities power up as you do so. This level is retained as your support gains rank. So if you poured ISO into a 1* support and got it to level 150 and then got a 3* version of that support, you don't suddenly have to level this brand new 3* all the way back up to 150. It'll stay at 150.

So far the only "mistake" you could make is pouring ISO into a support that's not very good. Which is why I'm holding off until I get a clearer picture of which ones are worth doing. I don't want to repeat the mistake of my early days and pouring ISO into 1* Black Widow and ignoring Juggernaut for a year.
  • rixmith
    rixmith Posts: 707 Critical Contributor
    I am liking these so far. I did buy the offers in the HFH store and got a 5* Hail Hydra and a 3* Wong and a few 2*'s including Korg. 

Some quick thoughts:

These are going to be very expensive to level. The RISO from the HFH store and dupes was enough to level a single support up to around level 57. That was around 18K RISO. It is going to take a very long time before they are highly impactful (and there is nothing particularly wrong with that). I chose to level a couple up to 25 (didn't cost much), but have kept the bulk of the RISO to use once I've played with them some more.

It would be really nice on the Support screen to see who has the support equipped. 

It would be nice on the Roster screen to have an indicator that a character has a support equipped

Having the Synergy bonus for equipping Korg on Thor is very fun. It creates a small protect tile when Thor fires a power. Not game changing at all, but fun to get a noticeable little bonus from the Support.

Pulling a 5* Hail Hydra was a mixed bag. There are so few 5* villains to choose from. Green Goblin will enjoy it during Wakanda, then it will go to Thanos. Maybe that will encourage me to use him more, even in spite of the health pack drain.

Overall the feature looks promising from a fun perspective, without being hugely game changing (which is probably good).
  • Dormammu
    Dormammu Posts: 3,531 Chairperson of the Boards
    My free tokens today gave me a rank II Quinjet and Vintage Shield, along with a rank II Sharon Carter (like the picture!)

I'm thinking of leveling the Quinjet. At rank II it starts doing additional match damage to Dark Avengers. Since these are only available in PvE that's some immediate usefulness.
  • Kahmon
    Kahmon Posts: 625 Critical Contributor
    With the 3 provided tokens I pulled a Lucky, 2* Vintage shield, and duplicate Hydra Henchmen. I also sprang for the big H4H offer and pulled a 4* Lucky.

With the riso from h4h and from duped 1*s I leveld lucky as far as I could which was level 45. Cost was alittle under 17k riso. I then equipped him to 4Grockett since I use him the most. The others I scattered across other characters I use frequently.

I have yet to see any benefit, but i like having something new collect even for minimal improvement. I especially like that nothing goes to waste. Riso seems to have plenty of sources. I'm jusy hoping there are viable paths to tokens too.
  • Dartmaster01
    Dartmaster01 Posts: 634 Critical Contributor
    I had some hp saved up so I bought the two hfh packs. I got a level 4 Quinjet and 30k red iso. I leveled Qj to 62 and put it on Gthor. I'm waiting for my pve clears to take it for a spin and see if that level has a noticeable improvement to gameplay.
  • jackstar0
    jackstar0 Posts: 1,280 Chairperson of the Boards
    My 5-Lord is now rockin' the 5* Quad Blasters. Not sure it's worth it at this point. I leveled them up to 50 figuring that was possibly worth it.

Playing with Grock4t and G4mora I didn't notice anything too impressive as I was grinding the sub. 1/2 Thor+BB would likely still be faster.
  • cooperbigdaddy
    cooperbigdaddy Posts: 364 Mover and Shaker
    I like the vintage shield on America, so I have a chance to start with one (yellow) pool of AP ahead of the enemy so I'm that much closer to the crits.
  • Dragon_Nexus
    Dragon_Nexus Posts: 3,701 Chairperson of the Boards
    Dormammu said:
    My free tokens today gave me a rank II Quinjet and Vintage Shield, along with a rank II Sharon Carter (like the picture!)

I'm thinking of leveling the Quinjet. At rank II it starts doing additional match damage to Dark Avengers. Since these are only available in PvE that's some immediate usefulness.
    As opposed to one of the ones I have which does bonus damage to Avengers.
    And we fight them when, exactly? Simulator, Prodigal Sun and I think a node in Heart of Darkness? Oh and that one node with a 1* Iron Man in it in The Hunt.
  • Quebbster
    Quebbster Posts: 8,070 Chairperson of the Boards

My free tokens gave me two rank 1 Avengers Tower (so 1400 red ISO a pop) and a level 1 Wong. Not particularly impressed with those pulls.

Will there be a way to earn more supports in-game that does not involve purchasing bundles?