Brand New Supports Feature! (4/5/18)

Comments

• Felonius
    Felonius Posts: 289 Mover and Shaker
    Immediate thoughts:
    1. I've updated to R150, and see the new Supports button, but here are my new Supports?
    2. Ah, finally, upon entering my Roster, the Tutorial starts...
    3. Great Tutorial.
    4. Oh, I've got four Supports for free and 500 RIso.  That's nice.
    5. Underwhelming initial impression of the powers, but maybe they'll be more impressive whenever they're eventually leveled-up.
    6. Lots and lots of clicking added to the game.
    7. From the Supports screen I can't see which character has a Support... From my Roster page, I can't tell... I have to basically look at EVERY character to find who has it?  Ugh.

• JHawkInc
    JHawkInc Posts: 2,601 Chairperson of the Boards
    We will launch this feature with 14 new Supports starting on Tuesday with more to come all year long.
    I'm seeing 4/13. What happened to the Quinjet?

Otherwise, this looks fun and interesting. I mean, with what we've got we're basically only dabbling at the possibilities (it's like introducing someone to Lego and only giving them one minifig and a half-dozen bricks, not a lot now, but the future looks exciting).

I feel this will be a feature like Champion levels where we won't really start to grasp the potential until we can invest a few months into it. 
  • tiomono
    tiomono Posts: 1,651 Chairperson of the Boards
    My first impression is good. I put several levels into starlord blasters. They are now level 4 and have A 10.6% chance of creating A strength 25 attack tile. I put it on wasp since she spans a bit. A few things we need:

An indicator to let us know who has a support on them from the roster page.

We also need to be able to check during a match what supports are doing or can do.

An indicator in the roster menu that can tell us who the item is attached to.

• Vhailorx
    Vhailorx Posts: 6,085 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited April 2018
    It would be very nice to preview the values of higher level/rank supports in game.  Level 1/rank 1 supports are effectively useless for me (tiny percentage procs and miniscule 2- or 3-digit damage/health changes are basically meaningless for 5* play). 

But images in this thread suggest that chimichangas can add many thousands of hp.  Hard to evaluate supports now when I have little idea  how they scale up.

Still, nice to see such a potentially large change to the game, suggesting demi is thinking long term.  Sure we will see lots of ui improvements as the feedback comes in.

Last thought: sharon carter and web shooters both increase critical damage multiplier.  Add to half-thor for use with America?
  • ZootSax
    ZootSax Posts: 1,819 Chairperson of the Boards
    Well, it finally happened.  The "Level Up" button, largely superfluous for probably a couple years now, has finally gone away.  Godspeed, fair Level Up botton; you served us well once upon a time...

Back to the topic at hand, the initial roll-out is perhaps a little underwhelming, but I really like the potential of the new feature now that it's out there.  I particularly like the character-specific perks attached to quite a few of the supports.  The flavor is my favorite part of the game, so anything that adds to that will generally be a win in my book.
  • AngryGerman
    AngryGerman Posts: 40 Just Dropped In
    edited April 2018
    Punter1 said:

Caps Shield for instance, provides a whopping 96 damage when a Cap tiles go off while removing a friendly protect.  My 255 Cap with that isn't suddenly going to make him useable or better than a champ Gambit.  Even on an equal level footing it's such a minor difference as to be unnoticeable.  I'd rather attach it to a character I regularly use and forgo the small specific bonus.

From levels 1 to 8, the cap cd tile thing gains an average of roughly 3.7 damage per level. If these supports have a linear growth, by level 250 that will be up to about 1020 damage per cd tile and protect tile... which really isn’t much. I’m hoping, like the characters, their growth curves increase drastically after a certain point. 

Edit:
    There is some evidence to suggest a non-linear growth curve. We know the HP increase for the Chimichanga at some random high level. We also know the HP increases for the Chimichanga at level 1, the Vintage Shield at level 1, and the Vintage Shield at level 8. At base level, the Vintage Shield has .6x the HP increase of the Chimichanga. I’m chalking this up to the difference between a Rank 1 Perk and a Rank 5 Perk. The linear growth between levels 1 and 8 would suggest the HP caps at around 1730. But if the .6x ratio holds true (and the Chimichanga photo isn’t at some absurdly high number you can’t achieve in game for hype purposes), the Shield should cap out around 4270 HP. 
  • spghttihead
    spghttihead Posts: 74 Match Maker
    How do I unequip one? Forced me to put one on Doc Ock but I’d rather not so now can’t figure out how to get it off. 
  • bluewolf
    bluewolf Posts: 5,244 Chairperson of the Boards
    How do I unequip one? Forced me to put one on Doc Ock but I’d rather not so now can’t figure out how to get it off. 
    You can only swap it after 2 hours. You can’t unequip them....
  • Shintok17
    Shintok17 Posts: 620 Critical Contributor
    Same happened to me during the tutorial. All you can do is swap the Support. You can't equip it for 2hrs.
  • Bowgentle
    Bowgentle Posts: 7,926 Chairperson of the Boards
    I force quit at this point.
    I wasn't going to equip some random thing on Gladiathor.
  • VoltaicDuke
    VoltaicDuke Posts: 39 Just Dropped In
    edited April 2018
    So each support can be leveled up in two different ways.  Which level up button does what?  

Is it affecting the same level just one button levels up one by one while the other does the maximum you can afford?

And do you retain these levels when you get a higher rank duplicate?
  • Brigby
    Brigby ADMINISTRATORS Posts: 7,757 Site Admin
    Bowgentle said:
    If this is during the tutorial, then the next step of the tutorial is Nick Fury removing the usual 2 hour countdown on the Support.
  • Shintok17
    Shintok17 Posts: 620 Critical Contributor
    So each support can be leveled up in two different ways.  Which level up button does what?  

Is it affecting the same level just one button levels up one by one while the other does the maximum you can afford?

And do you retain these levels when you get a higher rank duplicate?
    From what I have learned from the Devs. The level up buttons work just like the level up for a cover. You can level up 1 or max level to how much Red Iso you have. There are levels and then there are ranks. You keep your level when you get a higher rank support of the same type. Every rank adds 50 levels. So the highest level you would reach for a support is 250 since there are 5 Ranks. 
  • Dartmaster01
    Dartmaster01 Posts: 634 Critical Contributor
    Brigby said:
    Bowgentle said:
    If this is during the tutorial, then the next step of the tutorial is Nick Fury removing the usual 2 hour countdown on the Support.
    So how do I take the support off then. Fury did remove the cooldown but all it says is "Swap Support", I would like to remove it. Thanks
  • Nick441234
    Nick441234 Posts: 1,496 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited April 2018
    I'm going to hold off spending any of my red ISO until I get some supports that are useful to my strongest 4* team. I feel like we may not earn much red ISO so feel like its better to save it. 
  • broll
    broll Posts: 4,732 Chairperson of the Boards
    bluewolf said:
    You can only swap it after 2 hours. You can’t unequip them....
    The tutorial one is supposed to be movable immediately.  i didn't try on mine because I don't really care, but if it's not submit a bug.  

There is no unequip, to remove it from one character you have to put it onto another.
  • Orion
    Orion Posts: 1,295 Chairperson of the Boards
    Brigby said:
    Bowgentle said:
    So how do I take the support off then. Fury did remove the cooldown but all it says is "Swap Support", I would like to remove it. Thanks
    You can't remove it, you can only switch it to someone else.
  • Blindman13
    Blindman13 Posts: 504 Critical Contributor
    edited April 2018
    Why are so many people stressing about removing them? It's not like they hurt you or hinder your game play.
    If it really bothers you to have it on the random character the game picked for you, then assign it to some 3* you never use.