Reason to "collect" 5*s?

Jwallyr
Jwallyr Posts: 165 Tile Toppler
Is there a reasonable mechanic for which I should be concerned with trying to collect each of the 5*s that exist in the game?

Some background- I have a full 2* farm rolling, am very near to having the entire 3* tier championed (have all recruited and all but 8 championed) and have been steadily inching my way into 4* land. I currently have 38 of the 65 existing (including Valkyrie) 4*s, but most are at 1 or 2 covers and are by my estimation functionally unusable except as a "key" to open the "lock" of a required node.

While obviously I will eventually want to have the entire 4* and 5* tiers rostered, is the only reason to particularly care about rostering all 5*s similar, for unlocking the high end nodes in story mode? From what I have read, the high end PvP meta is all about the same 2 or 3 5*s (plus whatever the required character is), and the difficulty/expense of getting 5* covers through Classic Legends puts that well beyond my reach for the foreseeable future.

To put a point on it, I'm considering using some of my ~52 saved up Latest Legends tokens, both to increase my 4* roster and possibly to ensure that I have one of each of the current LL 5*s rostered for eventual use in Story mode required nodes. Is this a crazy idea? I already have 5* Ghost Rider rostered (random pull from an event vault) and a couple of Classic Legends 5*s (Back in Black Spidey and Hawkeye), so I'd be hoping to get one cover each of Archangel and Thor. I'm wanting Thor in particular, as the oldest 5* in LL tokens, and thus the most likely to be relegated to Classic status when Jessica Jones makes her debut.

Thoughts?

Comments

• TPF Alexis
    TPF Alexis Posts: 3,826 Chairperson of the Boards
    At SCL7 and higher, there's a 5* Required Node. The Latest 5* are featured more frequently, but it does gradually rotate through the entire set, so yeah, there's reason to have at least one cover for each.
  • broll
    broll Posts: 4,732 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited March 2018
    At SCL7 and higher, there's a 5* Required Node. The Latest 5* are featured more frequently, but it does gradually rotate through the entire set, so yeah, there's reason to have at least one cover for each.
    Also, if you're earlier in the 4* and not 5* focused yet it is probably best to pull classics for more chances and getting some of those 5*s at least to 1.  If you're doing that I would BH the 3 latest so you have a chance of covering them also.

Vice Versa if you are doing 300 hoards trying to get some full covered 5*s before they leave latest (your best odds) then you should BH any Classic 5* you have 0 for until you get them all.

It's definitely in your best interest to get at least 1 cover for all of them for the required nodes.  You don't have to do the 5E if you only care about progression, but if you even remotely care about placement get them all.
  • Jwallyr
    Jwallyr Posts: 165 Tile Toppler
    BH? I'm not familiar with that acronym.
  • Wil88
    Wil88 Posts: 159 Tile Toppler
    BH = Bonus Hero
  • Daredevil217
    Daredevil217 Posts: 3,893 Chairperson of the Boards
    Jwallyr said:
    Is there a reasonable mechanic for which I should be concerned with trying to collect each of the 5*s that exist in the game?

Some background- I have a full 2* farm rolling, am very near to having the entire 3* tier championed (have all recruited and all but 8 championed) and have been steadily inching my way into 4* land. I currently have 38 of the 65 existing (including Valkyrie) 4*s, but most are at 1 or 2 covers and are by my estimation functionally unusable except as a "key" to open the "lock" of a required node.

While obviously I will eventually want to have the entire 4* and 5* tiers rostered, is the only reason to particularly care about rostering all 5*s similar, for unlocking the high end nodes in story mode? From what I have read, the high end PvP meta is all about the same 2 or 3 5*s (plus whatever the required character is), and the difficulty/expense of getting 5* covers through Classic Legends puts that well beyond my reach for the foreseeable future.

To put a point on it, I'm considering using some of my ~52 saved up Latest Legends tokens, both to increase my 4* roster and possibly to ensure that I have one of each of the current LL 5*s rostered for eventual use in Story mode required nodes. Is this a crazy idea? I already have 5* Ghost Rider rostered (random pull from an event vault) and a couple of Classic Legends 5*s (Back in Black Spidey and Hawkeye), so I'd be hoping to get one cover each of Archangel and Thor. I'm wanting Thor in particular, as the oldest 5* in LL tokens, and thus the most likely to be relegated to Classic status when Jessica Jones makes her debut.

Thoughts?
    This is exactly what I’d do in your shoes. I think it’s great that despite still finishing out the 3* tier that you are that forward thinking. Yes, open Latests, try to get a single Thor before he rotates, then hoard some more until Angel is set to rotate out. Then try for Jess (since you already have GR). Meanwhile you can spend your CP on Classics. 
  • Rod5
    Rod5 Posts: 584 Critical Contributor
    I would spend CP on Classics, and pull LTs till you have one each of Latest.

Just don’t level the 5*s, they’re only good for unlocking the 5* nodes in PvE at this stage. Ultimately you’re looking to get CPs/covers from progression, and rostering 4s/5s is the best way to do this.
  • azninvasion2000
    azninvasion2000 Posts: 33 Just Dropped In
    When is a good time to switch from pulling Classics to Latest Legends? I've been pulling classics so far and I'm wondering if I should switch soon to focus on getting more 5*s. 

I have about half the 4*s champed, and I have a couple 5*s with around 8 or 9 covers in them, and all I'm missing is 5* DD
  • azninvasion2000
    azninvasion2000 Posts: 33 Just Dropped In
    lol **** i don't think i have it in me to accumulate 300 LL pulls or 7500 CP. how long does this usually take? i'm a pretty casual player