Brand New Supports Feature! (4/5/18)

Comments

• Phumade
    Phumade Posts: 2,477 Chairperson of the Boards
    We need a 5* Lockheed
  • bigsmooth
    bigsmooth Posts: 375 Mover and Shaker
    I like this idea. It seems like a good way to bring in more elements of the massive Marvel universe and also create a bit more variety in gameplay, which many people have been clamoring for. It would be neat if teammate (or opponent) supports interact with each other in some way.

I appreciate that the team is seeking feedback, but if changes to this new system are needed (e.g. underpowered/overpowered supports) I hope that they come a lot faster than the slow pace of character rebalances and updated champion rewards.

Question: Does "recruiting" or "leveling up" your supports give XP toward SHIELD ranks?
  • Cormackie
    Cormackie Posts: 18 Just Dropped In
    broll said:
    broll said:
    Hopefully this largely replaces 2* and ST rewards rather than higher rewards. 
    We're not planning to remove anything from progression & placement rewards, just adding on top.
    I meant more from 80 item vaults and taco vaults. 
    Gotcha - where Support-related things are added to vaults, they're replacing things that we think are less valuable, let us know if you disagree.
    First thought is a few 2*s could leave lol, but depends on how many slots you'll want the supports to take up!
  • randomhero1090
    randomhero1090 Posts: 396 Mover and Shaker
    Dogface said:
    And will PVE become harder if you don't use support, or will supports make events easier?
    We're not currently planning any changes to the difficulty of Story events - Supports will let you get more powerful and tackle harder missions.
    As a newer player this is great.  Might let me jump to level 8 from say 6-7.  Because some progression awards, where I am at in the game, are very valuable.  Progression at 8 might be worth a lot more then a top 10 in 6.
  • Brigby
    Brigby ADMINISTRATORS Posts: 7,757 Site Admin
    edited April 2018
    veny said:
    So, few questions if you dont mind:

1) Can we expect some regular ISO/covers/CPs/etc. outflow to make space for red ISO and Supports? I actually would not mind that, IF (!!) releasing of new 4*s will be paused/slowed due to releasing Supports.
    2) Can we expect some promoting mechanism for Supports? Farming/grinding is mostly finite, which is bad for playerbase, but promoting covers, farming champion rewards and selling them for near to full price was very good step.
    3) Can we expect Red ISO being rewarded for Shield levelups? Or, can we expect Supports to give Experience points toward SHIELD levels?
    1) It won't be replacing progression / placement rewards, but rather in addition to them.
    2) As of right now, I'm unaware of there being any mechanic to sell Supports.
    3) Supports won't give Experience Points at launch.
  • broll
    broll Posts: 4,732 Chairperson of the Boards
    broll said:
    broll said:
    We're not planning to remove anything from progression & placement rewards, just adding on top.
    Gotcha - where Support-related things are added to vaults, they're replacing things that we think are less valuable, let us know if you disagree.
    That would be my hope. Hopefully replacing: 
    2*s in 40/80 vaults
    2*s and Health Packs in Taco would be my hope. 
  • The rockett
    The rockett Posts: 2,016 Chairperson of the Boards
    broll said:
    Punter1 said:

Seems a pretty convoluted feature that doesn't address any of the many sensibly requested changes that have been discussed to death in the forums over the past few months.

I'm all for new content and don't want to be totally negative on this prior to implementation but nothing here really screams great gameplay improvements.

The pessimist in me agrees, but it does seem like it could be cool/fun as long as it doesn’t dilute other rewards into oblivion (which seems like it would be super easy to do). Hopefully this largely replaces 2* and ST rewards rather than higher rewards. 
    Wow.  2 Days in a row I agree with @broll

For this being a PVE feature, for the top end PVE players I am not really sure how much this will help since PVE for us is all about speed AND tapping until that is finally killed.  This is cool to add in more things Marvel related, but for the pure speed of PVE, I just don’t know. I am hoping it is cool, but like Punter and broll I am concern that for some this will reallly not do that much for us. 
  • professorplum9
    professorplum9 Posts: 133 Tile Toppler
    I think an "Honorary Member of Guardian's of the Galaxy" would be a great support :wink:
  • broll
    broll Posts: 4,732 Chairperson of the Boards
    broll said:
    Punter1 said:

Seems a pretty convoluted feature that doesn't address any of the many sensibly requested changes that have been discussed to death in the forums over the past few months.

I'm all for new content and don't want to be totally negative on this prior to implementation but nothing here really screams great gameplay improvements.

The pessimist in me agrees, but it does seem like it could be cool/fun as long as it doesn’t dilute other rewards into oblivion (which seems like it would be super easy to do). Hopefully this largely replaces 2* and ST rewards rather than higher rewards. 
    Wow.  2 Days in a row I agree with @broll

For this being a PVE feature, for the top end PVE players I am not really sure how much this will help since PVE for us is all about speed AND tapping until that is finally killed.  This is cool to add in more things Marvel related, but for the pure speed of PVE, I just don’t know. I am hoping it is cool, but like Punter and broll I am concern that for some this will reallly not do that much for us. 
    The real question is which of us saw reason :p
  • mega ghost
    mega ghost Posts: 1,154 Chairperson of the Boards
    This is exciting! This is a great way to integrate lots of minor characters that are not quite worthy of being a playable character on their own (Pet Avengers, THROG, moloids, etc.) and places/things (I may never get an All-Father Thor with the arm of The Destroyer, but now we might get the arm of The Destroyer or even The Destroyer in full.)

I'm also glad to hear the new currency will not dilute existing rewards. Will supports and red ISO be integrated into champ rewards as well? And if so, will we receive them as backpay (so to speak) should we have already passed the levels they're awarded at? I have a lot of 3* characters on the verge of being MAX Champed, and if I sell them or start from scratch with dupes it will be a long time before I get their champ rewards again.
  • veny
    veny Posts: 834 Critical Contributor
    broll said:
    broll said:
    broll said:
    That would be my hope. Hopefully replacing: 
    2*s in 40/80 vaults
    2*s and Health Packs in Taco would be my hope. 
    2*s are actually good - they provide tons of stuff from championing rewards, including heroic tokens (with chance for 3*s or 4*s), 3*s themselves, and Command Points.
    If there is something that could be replaced, it is ISO-8. 250 ISO-8 is basically equaly valuable as 2* cover, but 2* cover could be used multiple ways (sold, for promoting, etc.), but ISO-8 can be obtained everywhere.
  • Demiurge_Will
    Demiurge_Will Posts: 346 Mover and Shaker
    I don't expect Supports will have a huge impact on top-end competitive PvE initially. Especially since it'll take some time for players to collect and level up Supports to a high level. But there are Perks that affect damage and would be relevant in situations where speed matters.
  • Brigby
    Brigby ADMINISTRATORS Posts: 7,757 Site Admin
    edited April 2018
    Straycat said:
    Seems like a decent way to make bad characters better, but with the 2 hour cooldown it just makes sense to put your best 3 supports on your best 3 characters. The forum has been asking for more reason to use their whole roster, not less.
    Not sure why supports are being added, but if that was the goal, I think it would be better if the cooldown was for use per character. So if I used it a support on my required 4*, I could only get the benefits of it by applying that support to a different character, thus making me change my team.  I dunno, trying to think what this feature accomplishes in regards to some of the forums usual asks, and that was all I could think of.

I'm definitely interested in the new things to collect and level up, and I think it will be fun to try out.
    There are a whole variety of different supports that provide different perks, each of which are advantageous in certain match-ups or on certain characters. Whether or not there is a "best" support is really dependent on those factors.

For example, Rank 3 Chimichanga (the Support previewed in the original post) gives a chance at fortifying a random Special tile, in addition to Rank 2 providing a chance at giving more Red AP when making a Red match. This could be beneficial for a character like Shuri.

If it's at Rank 5 though, then you might consider adding it to a tankier character to take advantage of the Rank 1 damage reduction and Rank 5 health increase.
  • spatenfloot
    spatenfloot Posts: 660 Critical Contributor
    DarthDeVo said:
    Daiches said:
    DarthDeVo said:
    Any word on whether there could be some supports that affect out-of-match resources? (PleaseLetThereBeAnISOMultiplier, PleaseLetThereBeAnISOMultiplier, PleaseLetThereBeAnISOMultiplier)
    There won't be Iso-8-multiplying Perks at launch, but it's definitely an interesting idea.
    CP Multiplier is what we want. See Post-ISO thread..
    Why not both? 
    I agree
  • veny
    veny Posts: 834 Critical Contributor
    Straycat said:
    Seems like a decent way to make bad characters better, but with the 2 hour cooldown it just makes sense to put your best 3 supports on your best 3 characters. The forum has been asking for more reason to use their whole roster, not less.
    Not sure why supports are being added, but if that was the goal, I think it would be better if the cooldown was for use per character. So if I used it a support on my required 4*, I could only get the benefits of it by applying that support to a different character, thus making me change my team.  I dunno, trying to think what this feature accomplishes in regards to some of the forums usual asks, and that was all I could think of.

I'm definitely interested in the new things to collect and level up, and I think it will be fun to try out.
    Just asking: How many characters do you actually use? (Ignore requred characters in PvP, DDQ or PvE that are being used ad hoc). I use around 5 characters (my two only promoted 5*s, 3* Thanos, sometimes one or two powered up characters) and i strongly doubt i will feel the need to swap Supports as often as possible.
    I think we will just use few characters with supports that fit them best without need to replace them more often than once per few days.