Leveling my 5* characters

NotBAMF
NotBAMF Posts: 408 Mover and Shaker

So I'm firmly in the midst of 4* land with something like 22 champed 4* characters, and I really enjoy this aspect of the game. Especially as I prefer PVP to PVE.

That said, I have a few 5* characters whose cover collection is slowly growing. Most notably, Dr. Strange at 3/1/3 and Captain America at 2/3/2.

I believe I have heard that 5* characters can be leveled to a certain point without obliterating my MMR for PVP matchmaking. Is that true? What is that figure? I would like to move the more usable of my 5* guys into the low-to-mid 300's, but hopefully not at the expense of running into constant Gambits (and other 5* threats).

Can anyone clarify what I can do with these characters at this point?

Comments

• Dormammu
    Dormammu Posts: 3,531 Chairperson of the Boards
    If Strange and Cap are your best 5-stars at seven covers, it's not time yet. Leveling them isn't going to hurt you, but it isn't going to help you either. Your 4-stars, even unboosted, are going to remain more effective than an under-covered 5-star in the low 300s in everything except maybe match damage.

Wait until you have some 5-stars at around the 10 cover range before you think about significantly leveling them.
  • NotBAMF
    NotBAMF Posts: 408 Mover and Shaker
    edited March 2018

Well I wasn't hoping to "significantly" level them, heh. To be honest, I have almost no desire to ever enter the 5* metagame.

But point taken. If they aren't going to be useful, I won't level them. I just have some weeks (like this week AND next week) where I have none of the boosted 4* characters, and I thought maybe a 330-350 power 5* would mitigate that problem for me a bit without causing me to run afoul of the big 5* players.

• granne
    granne Posts: 852 Critical Contributor
    To be honest, running undercovered 5*s puts a bigger target on your back than running unboosted 4*s.
  • Dormammu
    Dormammu Posts: 3,531 Chairperson of the Boards
    Do what I do. Level all your 5-stars to 270. That way they're all arranged nicely in your roster in-between your champed 4-stars and 3-stars.  ;) 
  • rocks52
    rocks52 Posts: 232 Tile Toppler
    I'm trying to figure out what to do with AA. I have champed Thor and Cap. Max covered AA with a potential champ level on the vine.  I mostly play PVE and enough CL 8 PVP to finish top 25-50 but rarely get the 4* progression thanks to not understanding shield hopping. I have roughly 40 champed 4* with a high of lv 310. Maybe I just champ AA, try and get JJ and figure out what to do from there. 

Should I pursue JJ and RR covers, hoard CP and LT to see who next 5* is?
  • Quebbster
    Quebbster Posts: 8,070 Chairperson of the Boards
    rocks52 said:
    I'm trying to figure out what to do with AA. I have champed Thor and Cap. Max covered AA with a potential champ level on the vine.  I mostly play PVE and enough CL 8 PVP to finish top 25-50 but rarely get the 4* progression thanks to not understanding shield hopping. I have roughly 40 champed 4* with a high of lv 310. Maybe I just champ AA, try and get JJ and figure out what to do from there. 

With two 5* champions already I assume you are mostly getting matched with fivestar teams already. If so, I don't Think adding a third champion will affect your matchmaking much. If you have no better use for the ISO you may as well champ AA.
  • ThaRoadWarrior
    ThaRoadWarrior Posts: 9,126 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited March 2018
    My highest 2 5*s are a level 345 5* Lord (2/1/3) and a level 330 Dare5evil (4/1/0). I have 15 champion 4*s, the highest being G4mora at 280 and Vulture at 279. I rarely, if ever, get matched with 5*s in PVP when I'm actively hunting matches, though I will semi-regularly find i have retaliations against 5* teams in my queue after I break a certain point threshold. I like using that 5* Lord with 4ocket/Medusa for fast clears over G4mora in PVE, and depending  on who I see in PVP for fast pushes to 900.
  • rocks52
    Quebbster said:
    rocks52 said:

With two 5* champions already I assume you are mostly getting matched with fivestar teams already. If so, I don't Think adding a third champion will affect your matchmaking much. If you have no better use for the ISO you may as well champ AA.
    Yeah I get matched with 5* teams quite a bit.  I can always use the iso for 4* and 3*.  I just didn't know if I should put it into getting AA champed as I would imagine I could get some champ levels before he leaves latest
  • rocks52
    The thing I hate is classic 5* stay either stagnant or get slow uptick from the few 4* champ rewards. Do I ever get to 5* realm or do I just rely on stronger latest 5's to help me win PVE battles quicker? 

So when I look at someone considered "meh" like AA, I wonder if I should save 5 cp/pull and build up 4* and classic 5* quicker and see how the next 5* looks, or just keep building up the newest and ignoring classics
  • Rod5
    Rod5 Posts: 585 Critical Contributor
    In response to the OP, levelling undercovered 5s is a mistake. It’s a waste of ISO, leave it for when you have enough tokens to champ 3. Or just keep on champing 4s.

5s only really get interesting after about level 400, and at that stage you’re better off champing anyway.

There is literally nothing that says “HIT ME” in PvP more than levelled, undercovered 5*s. Sadly most of the players I see coming through are levelling 5s instead of levelling/champing 4s. 
  • ThaRoadWarrior
    At this point, what is the conventional wisdom on chasing Gambit? buy him up with ludicrous CP spends, set him as your bonus, or just give up and hope for a newer better character to come out?
  • Rod5
    At this point, what is the conventional wisdom on chasing Gambit? buy him up with ludicrous CP spends, set him as your bonus, or just give up and hope for a newer better character to come out?
    Depends how close you are, buying any more than 1 cover is very expensive. 

You are better waiting for a store with him in.
  • ThaRoadWarrior
    Rod5 said:
    Depends how close you are, buying any more than 1 cover is very expensive. 

You are better waiting for a store with him in.
    (1/1/1) lol
  • Rod5
    Wait for the store then, no amount of luck will get you that amount of 5* BHs 
  • ThaRoadWarrior
    Rod5 said:
    Wait for the store then, no amount of luck will get you that amount of 5* BHs 
    I've gotten maybe 3 5* BHs ever; so I don't expect it. Hopefully he'll start to get fed by a 4* at some point. 
  • Rod5
    Yes, if you want to BH a character, make it Rogue...she’s good as well so no loss there.