*** Thor (Modern) ***

Comments

• kensterr
    kensterr Posts: 1,277 Chairperson of the Boards
    No nerf please! I wanna spend on this! lol
  • kensterr wrote:
    No nerf please! I wanna spend on this! lol

I can imagine they'd be talking about this, and whoever designed him will be like "I thought you guys wanted to design a 3* version of the PRE-nerf Thor, not the POST-nerf Thor." He's pretty much exactly like his previously overpowered version, only that instead of having a weak green he has a weak red, but his ability, like before the nerf, simply did way too much damage for a guy with the second most HP in the game.
  • I don't like where this is going....

Big HP.

Big Damage for EACH skill with NO PENALTIES what so ever.

they might as well change Heroic Juggernaut to Power Level Lazy Thor.

Now can please someone tell which 3* is better than lazy thor now?

GSBW? no. she's somehow penalized by her weak red and green tile damage.
    BP? only 1 raw damage skill with penalty (albeit small)
    Hulk? no way. expensive and has penalty.
    Patch? 2 of his skill has penalties.
    IM40? super penalties.
    C.Mag? 1 raw damage skill only.

I'm afraid D3 just repeat history once again with (un)funbalance thor.
  • Wow is he way strong. New #1 imo.
  • It makes me wonder if they made Black Panther because they figured Thor 3* was coming. Yes, compared to him, the original BP isn't really overpowered, but that's like saying compared to the original pre-nerf Ragnarok, Thor 3* isn't overpowered.
  • kensterr
    kensterr Posts: 1,277 Chairperson of the Boards
    Punisher/Fat Thor/OBW or Punisher/Fat Thor/C Mag for the pain
  • kensterr wrote:
    Punisher/Fat Thor/OBW or Punisher/Fat Thor/C Mag for the pain

Obligatory Hood mention:

Modern Thor/Black Panther/The Hood

no purple but honestly who cares icon_twisted.gif
  • Im rlly torn on this one.

This rlly is a 3* version of the pre-NERF Thor, minus red's 5-tile changer.

I sold my MarvelNow! after The Bat swung. Should I bother with the 3* version now??

...hmmm...

I'll hold off until JuggHard pans out. Maybe if I can manage a 2/2/2 start...
  • Puritas
    Puritas Posts: 670 Critical Contributor
    I really don't want to be forced into levelling this ****
    This game's starting to get me down.
  • Brilliant move by the devs creating lazy Thor and black Panther... They receive money from the community (purchasing covers and ISO) by releasing an OP character then they balance the character after they see the community uproar...everyone is happy right?
  • Clintman
    Clintman Posts: 757 Critical Contributor
    HEY, Look!!! Spiderman can Stunlock!!! (lets see if we can get the nerf hounds to go after an old favorite instead of clamboring to nerf Thor)
  • Imo, they should keep same stats, switch him to 4 stars.

I wonder if gold Thor was a response to the Rags nerf reaction--people saying the game is too slow and no one does any damage and they wanna feel like playing real powerful superheroes.

However, when people cried for a BP nerf, it seemed pretty clear that opinion died out.
  • ChrisV82
    ChrisV82 Posts: 16 Just Dropped In
    Just coming in a few days late to throw in my two cents.

I've read through every page of this thread, and noticed the vast majority of opinions seem to be coming from people with wonderful 3 star teams. I am somewhere still firmly anchored to my 2 star teams. I've been playing since December, and have invested a lot (too much) time into this game. I have 26 roster slots right now. My highest 3 star characters are level 50 Punisher and Rags, and I don't consider them useful at that level when I still have BWO, 2Thor, Wolvie, CStorm, and Ares at 70 or better. So, for me, 3Thor is irrelevant, because it will be months before he's ever a viable option to use on an every day basis.

I play this game a lot, and sometimes I wonder if it's getting too repetitive, because it is literally the same thing over, and over, and over, and over, and over, and over, and over, and over again. However, the variations of covers and their abilities is the ONLY thing that keeps the game fresh and interesting. If we start getting the exact SAME characters with higher levels, it does nothing to add new elements.

All it does is give people a reason to pour more money into this game, which I imagine is the point from the developer's point of view. In the three months I've been playing, I've put $25 into this game, which I consider a lot for a "free" game, yet I know there are quite a few people who spend $25 during a single purchase while squeezing out a poo at 2 o'clock on a Thursday. This character isn't aimed at people like me (or my friends, who don't even have 2 star characters beyond level 40 yet). This is aimed at people who have spent four digit dollar amounts on this game. You are the people who dictate the course of this game. I'm sure D3 would like to have new players come into the game, because it opens up the player base of people who might spend money, but in reality, the new influx of 3 star characters is clearly aimed at established players who fuel the microtransactions. If you guys really don't like 3Thor, don't spend money on him. If you spend $200 to upgrade his covers, then any complaints about future 3Clones will be disingenuous.

icon_mrgreen.gif
  • We do need a character like Thor in the 3*, even with the same skills. They just can't be as powerful as he is. The 3* level seriously lacks the 'dumb tank', that is someone with a lot of HP that does more than just standing there and look pretty (The Hulk), or hope that your AI makes some super smart decision on defense. Even though BP is probably slightly on the overpowered side, on defense I'd expect him to put down a Battleplan and then immediately destroy his own strike tiles, and while that's life, there should be an option that is relatively 'safe' for a tank. Thor fits that perfectly as his skills are impossible to use incorrectly, but not while doing more damage than a guy with 5800 HP can. If The Punisher can swap his skills as a package with Thor and still retain his current HP (5800), you'd definitely do that. The Punisher is not even a weak character, and yet he'd be strictly stronger if he has the skillset of a guy with far more HP than he does.

Lazy Thor's skill would make sense if he has The Hood's level of HP (4000), so that he hits extra hard for being extra fragile, but of course that's simply not true.
  • Do we know what "Gold character" is about?
  • pasa_ wrote:
    Do we know what "Gold character" is about?

As I posted in general, I think it may be the introduction of a tier system for all characters, where gold is the 3 star version of a character. So we might get 4* Platinum Thor yet....
    viewtopic.php?f=7&t=4787
  • They said a gold character is basically a stronger version of a character (Thor 3* versus Thor 2*). Fundamentally, this isn't a terrible idea because we could use someone with Thor's skillset in the 3* game. However currently the gold character seems to be 'send money this way to enjoy pummeling your opposition to oblivion'.
  • I, like many others believe that this Thor is kind of cheap, though Thor is one of my favorites, and I could justify seeong powered up versions of other * and ** characters...... so long as it doesn't slow the release of original characters.
  • Konman
    Konman Posts: 410 Mover and Shaker
    Phantron wrote:
    They said a gold character is basically a stronger version of a character (Thor 3* versus Thor 2*). Fundamentally, this isn't a terrible idea because we could use someone with Thor's skillset in the 3* game. However currently the gold character seems to be 'send money this way to enjoy pummeling your opposition to oblivion'.

But all its doing is making the players that aren't at the solid *** roster stage yet, like myself, even less likely to make it there any time soon. While those already in that level are, probably able to win the necessary event rewards to more easily obtain new *** covers. I don't have any *** above 100, and only 1 above 85 (Punisher), with most of them being a single cover. The trend is definitely toward high end players, and LazyThor doesn't add anything to my level of play, just like nearly all the *** characters I have.

I wonder how long it will be before LazyThor is nerfed.
  • Konman wrote:
    Phantron wrote:
    They said a gold character is basically a stronger version of a character (Thor 3* versus Thor 2*). Fundamentally, this isn't a terrible idea because we could use someone with Thor's skillset in the 3* game. However currently the gold character seems to be 'send money this way to enjoy pummeling your opposition to oblivion'.

But all its doing is making the players that aren't at the solid *** roster stage yet, like myself, even less likely to make it there any time soon. While those already in that level are, probably able to win the necessary event rewards to more easily obtain new *** covers. I don't have any *** above 100, and only 1 above 85 (Punisher), with most of them being a single cover. The trend is definitely toward high end players, and LazyThor doesn't add anything to my level of play, just like nearly all the *** characters I have.

I wonder how long it will be before LazyThor is nerfed.

The 3* range is missing a 'dummyproof tank' hero. Not a strong hero, just someone who can mindlessly do some below average damage while soaking up hits. The fact that his name is Thor or anyone else isn't that important (though Ragnarok might've made more sense to fill that role). I'd say his damage is about twice as much as what it should be (or alternatively he can have half the HP and then his abilities will be balanced), but a character with Thor's skillset is perfectly fine if the damage values are tuned correctly.