MPQ at Marvel.com: Valkyrie (Asgardian Warrior)

Comments

• jamesh
    jamesh Posts: 1,600 Chairperson of the Boards
    broll said:
    zodiac339 said:
    dave7099 said:
    Sweet more c listers!  Can we get some of the missing headliners?

Don't worry, in April we'll have some more Iron Man, Thor, Captain America and Hawkeye and Black Widow characters!
    I don’t imagine we’ll get Thor or Iron Man (just got a Thor, and I just don’t want to see 2 IM in one tier). Not sure what the bleached hair will bring to Black Widow, and Hawkeye doesn’t seem all that prominent based on the trailers. But I could hope for a 4* Steve Rogers (Sexy, Rugged Beard) in the game. They just need to get this man a shield. Also, Spider Man (Iron Spider) might be okay. Or a Vision (Lobotomised by the Black Order)?
    I don’t want to see two of any character in any tier. Even though we’ve got several #TimeFor6*s
    If they add a new 5* Spider-Man (maybe Iron-Spider tie in for Infinity War?), that would fix the problem for him.  Then there would no longer be two 5* Spider-Men.
  • bluewolf
    bluewolf Posts: 5,238 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited March 2018
    Arix90 said:
    Earlier announcement than usual could that mean we might have a second character released in the same week :smiley:
    Just an FYI, Demiurge has the article in Marvel’s hands for a couple weeks before it gets posted. Our game developers have very little to do with the exact date that Marvel publishes it on their website.  Certain other events (movies, bigger games, etc) can throw off the schedule.

Also, if for some reason they were launching two characters in one week (which we last saw with CA: Civil War), I am sure they would have both been in one article.
  • ZeiramMR
    ZeiramMR Posts: 1,357 Chairperson of the Boards
    bluewolf said:
    Arix90 said:
    Earlier announcement than usual could that mean we might have a second character released in the same week :smiley:
    Just an FYI, Demiurge has the article in Marvel’s hands for a couple weeks before it gets posted. Our game developers have very little to do with the exact date that Marvel publishes it on their website.  Certain other events (movies, bigger games, etc) can throw off the schedule.

Also, if for some reason they were launching two characters in one week (which we last saw with CA: Civil War), I am sure they would have both been in one article.
    Or people being out of office, which is why I suspect the previous article was delayed and posted by a different member of the Marvel staff than normal.
  • AlexNapalm
    AlexNapalm Posts: 122 Tile Toppler
    She seems cool. I'd like to test her out with Mockingbird and America. 
  • KGB
    KGB Posts: 2,900 Chairperson of the Boards
    In 3 person teams (Simulator/Boss events) I wonder if it's possible to get an infinite loop with the right characters. Valkryie + someone who reduces AP cost (eg Star Lord) + 3rd with cheap spammable damage power so that the +4 AP returned is enough to fire the spam power over and over again.

KGB
  • Quebbster
    Quebbster Posts: 8,070 Chairperson of the Boards
    STOPTHIS said:
    I feel like 2 Spideys in the 5* tier only happened because even the devs forgot BSSM existed. ;)

I Think it happened because Marvel said "make him as powerful and desireable as possible". Licensor approval is far more important than any self-imposed restrictions on rarity tiers.
  • BoyWonder1914
    BoyWonder1914 Posts: 884 Critical Contributor
    KGB said:
    In 3 person teams (Simulator/Boss events) I wonder if it's possible to get an infinite loop with the right characters. Valkryie + someone who reduces AP cost (eg Star Lord) + 3rd with cheap spammable damage power so that the +4 AP returned is enough to fire the spam power over and over again.

KGB
    That is simply brilliant sir. Shame I could only vote once. 
  • Slayercolt
    Slayercolt Posts: 7 Just Dropped In
    Instead of new characters can we fix the game....aka PvP and the maybe decide what you guys want to do with the farming system before my covers get wasted...thanks
  • jamesh
    jamesh Posts: 1,600 Chairperson of the Boards
    KGB said:

KGB
    You'd still need to wait for the next turn for Valkyrie to create a new countdown tile though, no?  It sounds like a good combo, but I doubt it forms an infinite turn loop.
  • fight4thedream
    fight4thedream GLOBAL_MODERATORS Posts: 1,908 Chairperson of the Boards

Disappointed they didn't incorporate Warsong into her skill set. 

#missedopportunities
  • Phumade
    Phumade Posts: 2,477 Chairperson of the Boards
    The character art looks great.  But the choice of covers is awful.  What is the logic is choosing a cover that doesn't actually show the char?
  • Vhailorx
    Vhailorx Posts: 6,085 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited March 2018
    I can't help but notice that she is viewable in game now and her numbers look. . .pretty bad.  Like sandman, she has a kit that is interesting in theory, and is fairly tough, but her damage numbers could almost be doubled across the board.

Red is 8k damage (split 5 ways) for 11ap.  Thattl's fairly meh (relative to top shelf 4* nukes), but useful with lots of beefy strikes on the board.  But that brings me to her yellow, which procs strength 100 tiles (IF an ally takes 1.2k damage)!  That is pathetic.  She can't really fuel her own red meaningfully, so she becomes teammate dependent. Not terribly compelling.

Also, is her black cd cumulative damage. Or 1-shot damage?  If the latter, then 2+k is a fairly high threshold for 4* play. But this power seems interesting; I am curious to see it in action.
  • zulux21
    zulux21 Posts: 249 Tile Toppler
    when someone gets her can you confirm that the damage thresholds don't go up with leveling... otherwise I imagine some people might end up running her at level 70 as the thresholds as they are aren't that bad for 4* levels, but if those go up like most damage, then doubling it is meh, and then boosted would double it again making it just bad.... so here's hoping that isn't the case.
  • TPF Alexis
    TPF Alexis Posts: 3,826 Chairperson of the Boards
    Her red is only about 20% less efficient than Riri's, and has much less chance of wasting large amounts of damage. Once you've got something like 650 worth of Strikes out, the multiple hits actually overtake that (~400 worth of Strikes if you're looking at single-target damage). Even base, it's a better damage/AP ratio than Repulsor Punch.

For some teams, the strength of the tiles you're starting with is rather less important than how quickly you can get them out. I can see her yellow making her very useful alongside C4rol and XPool/Rulk as an anti-Grockamora team. Also nice with, say, Wasp or Nico, and the other part of it could work well with America and an AP-suppressor/stealer.

How good her black is is definitely going to depend on whether it's one-hit or cumulative for the damage threshold. Even if it is one-hit, that's far from impossible to trigger regularly. C4rol+Medusa/C&D should be doing that much in Attack Tiles every Turn before too far into the match, for instance.

We'll see when we actually get a chance to play with her, but I'm not writing her off just yet. I should probably qualify that I'm not expecting her to be a great all-rounder who you can drop in with just about any other pair and get good results. But I think she will have relevant niches where she's very worth using.
  • Vhailorx
    Vhailorx Posts: 6,085 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited March 2018
    Her red is only about 20% less efficient than Riri's, and has much less chance of wasting large amounts of damage. Once you've got something like 650 worth of Strikes out, the multiple hits actually overtake that (~400 worth of Strikes if you're looking at single-target damage). Even base, it's a better damage/AP ratio than Repulsor Punch.

For some teams, the strength of the tiles you're starting with is rather less important than how quickly you can get them out. I can see her yellow making her very useful alongside C4rol and XPool/Rulk as an anti-Grockamora team. Also nice with, say, Wasp or Nico, and the other part of it could work well with America and an AP-suppressor/stealer.

How good her black is is definitely going to depend on whether it's one-hit or cumulative for the damage threshold. Even if it is one-hit, that's far from impossible to trigger regularly. C4rol+Medusa/C&D should be doing that much in Attack Tiles every Turn before too far into the match, for instance.

We'll see when we actually get a chance to play with her, but I'm not writing her off just yet. I should probably qualify that I'm not expecting her to be a great all-rounder who you can drop in with just about any other pair and get good results. But I think she will have relevant niches where she's very worth using.
    A 20% efficiency gap is a big deal.  Especially for expensive powers that really need to be game-enders.  Yes, the quintuple dip is useful and awesome with strikes, but her strikes are pathetic.  And if you are already bringing someone to make beefy strikes (like carol or groot etc), then you probably don't need valkyrie and are better off with someone like medusa or gamora to multi-tap those strikes and provide other value.

And being more efficient than repulsor punch would have been great. . .in 2015.  Imhb is nearing obsolescence in the current meta.
  • zulux21
    zulux21 Posts: 249 Tile Toppler
    Managed to get the information I wanted from the shield training.

Her red does indeed carry on to the next enemy.
    Her passives do increase in threshold levels as she gains power.
    and her black does keep track of damage.
  • gravel
    gravel Posts: 585 Critical Contributor
    The black keeping track of damage was a nice touch.  I thought it would be do x number of damage in one move thus forcing you to use a power.  I was pleased when I tried her out in shield training and saw it tallying the damage.
  • broll
    broll Posts: 4,732 Chairperson of the Boards
    jamesh said:
    broll said:
    zodiac339 said:
    dave7099 said:
    Sweet more c listers!  Can we get some of the missing headliners?

Don't worry, in April we'll have some more Iron Man, Thor, Captain America and Hawkeye and Black Widow characters!
    I don’t imagine we’ll get Thor or Iron Man (just got a Thor, and I just don’t want to see 2 IM in one tier). Not sure what the bleached hair will bring to Black Widow, and Hawkeye doesn’t seem all that prominent based on the trailers. But I could hope for a 4* Steve Rogers (Sexy, Rugged Beard) in the game. They just need to get this man a shield. Also, Spider Man (Iron Spider) might be okay. Or a Vision (Lobotomised by the Black Order)?
    I don’t want to see two of any character in any tier. Even though we’ve got several #TimeFor6*s
    If they add a new 5* Spider-Man (maybe Iron-Spider tie in for Infinity War?), that would fix the problem for him.  Then there would no longer be two 5* Spider-Men.
    Hardy har har...

So you're saying you want to live in a world where it's possible to have 3 5* champs that are all Spider-man but you can only use 1 of them in any given battle cause variants?  I certainly don't...  Imagine a player who those were their first 2 or 3 champs and they didn't know they were exclusive...  What a nightmare.
  • TPF Alexis
    TPF Alexis Posts: 3,826 Chairperson of the Boards
    I am now really looking forward to using Valkyrie and America together next time there's a Boss event. With only one target, they should be able to trigger Bounty Hunter basically every turn, which should be hilarious.
  • Tiger_Wong
    Tiger_Wong Posts: 1,013 Chairperson of the Boards
    Yeah. I can see her becoming a problem (in a good way). I want to see the final stats but as it is, her tools are good.

her black is probably her best color. Not hard at all to meet the damage requirements and constantly fill your hardest hitting power. Along with destroying 3-4 of your enemies. 

Her yellow low looks good as well. Not on its own (we don’t know the numbers yet) but in support of other characters like 5* DD and Kraven. 

I look forward to covering greatly.