Steam UI - Not so bad

aesthetocyst
aesthetocyst Posts: 538 Critical Contributor
A thread to balance the other one, since it started with a conclusion.

There may be some who had a positive reaction and would like to express their appreciation.

Or maybe they're so excited about a new feature, they don't mind the imposition, no matter what comes.

Comments

• Dragon_Nexus
    Dragon_Nexus Posts: 3,701 Chairperson of the Boards
    Some things don't need balance.
    Sorry the first reply is negative, but I do not understand, even stripping away the knee jerk anger, how there can be anything positive to say about the change.

It is less functional, slower, more cumbersome and less pleasent to look at than the old system. I cannot see any benefit this change has on me.
  • Punisher5784
    Punisher5784 Posts: 3,836 Chairperson of the Boards
    Some things don't need balance.
    Sorry the first reply is negative, but I do not understand, even stripping away the knee jerk anger, how there can be anything positive to say about the change.

It is less functional, slower, more cumbersome and less pleasent to look at than the old system. I cannot see any benefit this change has on me.

That was my same exact reaction when the Forum interface was updated

• Dormammu
    Dormammu Posts: 3,531 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited March 2018
    Punisher5784 said:
    I still miss the old forums. Especially the character-symbol-emoji-thingies we could insert and the way it tracked your unread threads right from the main page thread topic listings.
  • aesthetocyst
    Dormammu said:
    Punisher5784 said:
    I still miss the old forums. Especially the character-symbol-emoji-thingies we could insert and the way it tracked your unread threads right from the main page thread topic listings.
    I miss the enormous and brilliant player-built and maintained references.

Some of which were resurrected. 

I also miss my 6,000 other thumbs :D
  • Punisher5784
    Punisher5784 Posts: 3,836 Chairperson of the Boards
    Dormammu said:
    Punisher5784 said:
    I miss the enormous and brilliant player-built and maintained references.

Some of which were resurrected. 

I also miss my 6,000 other thumbs :D

Maybe you should change the title to talk about how dreadful the new forum is after 1 year

• sinnerjfl
    sinnerjfl Posts: 1,260 Chairperson of the Boards
    Ive found 1 whole positive!!!!! On the char select screen before a node, the train button (x2) takes you directly to the respec screen...       Not sure that was there before.

• aesthetocyst
    edited March 2018

Maybe you should change the title to talk about how dreadful the new forum is after 1 year

Go start a thread. This one is about trying to make lemonade :tongue:  Like SinnerJFL did. That Train button has a handy use in some limited situations.

It also flashes and strobes unnecessarily if a char can be trained ... wished that stayed on mobile only....grumble grumble
  • Daredevil217
    Daredevil217 Posts: 3,893 Chairperson of the Boards
    I for one am very excited for the new feature.  Dying for some new info.  The only thing we know from in-game, is there will be "supports", and that you can filter them by * level/rank.  I'm unsure if we will be sending or receiving supports.  There also seems to be red iso that is earn-able through this feature.

My dream is that we will be able to send out characters on our roster as "supports" similar to team-ups.  While, on a support mission the character cannot be selected for any game mode or leveled until they return from their "mission".  When they return, they bring with them a certain amount of iso depending on the character's rank and how long you choose to have them gone for.  Or even better, you are somehow encouraged to send out all of your characters equally (like you get more for sending someone who has not been sent), which would encourage playing different characters while the best ones are gone. 

The truth is, the game is becoming bloated with new characters and it is getting harder and harder for new players to catch up.  We also don't get a lot of use from 90% or our rosters so this would help both of those things.

Sadly, my idea probably isn't close to what's happening and I'll be sad that it isn't as great as I built it up in my head (i.e. red iso will be just the next paywall), but I'm going to choose to remain optimistic as this is a happy thread!
  • LXSandman
    LXSandman Posts: 196 Tile Toppler
    I for one am very excited for the new feature.  
    I think we can all agree that we are excited about new features.  The question is obviously what a new feature has to do with the UI downgrade.  I personally think there is a good chance that it is a cover to stop support for the steam version.  I truly hope to be proven wrong on this and that the new feature will be awesome!

• Berserk_Al
    Berserk_Al Posts: 411 Mover and Shaker

My dream is that we will be able to send out characters on our roster as "supports" similar to team-ups.  While, on a support mission the character cannot be selected for any game mode or leveled until they return from their "mission".  When they return, they bring with them a certain amount of iso depending on the character's rank and how long you choose to have them gone for.  Or even better, you are somehow encouraged to send out all of your characters equally (like you get more for sending someone who has not been sent), which would encourage playing different characters while the best ones are gone. 

That sounds like sending stuff to your facebook friends...

If Steam users are getting Facebook benefits that would be great.
  • jamesh
    jamesh Posts: 1,600 Chairperson of the Boards
    I guess we're going to have to wait and see, but I wonder if they've got non-trivial changes to the character info screen planned for a future update?

All the changes to that screen in the last few years have been minor, and probably not a big burden to port to the lesser used Steam UI.  If they're going to completely revamp the screen, then handling the Steam version might double the work.

So the real question is how well this hypothetical character info screen will work on landscape displays.
  • AardvarkPepper
    AardvarkPepper Posts: 239 Tile Toppler
    The truth is, the game is becoming bloated with new characters and it is getting harder and harder for new players to catch up.  We also don't get a lot of use from 90% or our rosters so this would help both of those things.

Sadly, my idea probably isn't close to what's happening and I'll be sad that it isn't as great as I built it up in my head (i.e. red iso will be just the next paywall), but I'm going to choose to remain optimistic as this is a happy thread!
    I feel that was a good post, and that I should say so.  #positivity

A thread to balance the other one, since it started with a conclusion.

There may be some who had a positive reaction and would like to express their appreciation.

Or maybe they're so excited about a new feature, they don't mind the imposition, no matter what comes.

Starting with a conclusion is bad practice.  On the other hand, the new Steam UI is just bad.  If you played on Steam before the change, and you've been through the multi-screen madness that's Steam's UI after the change, that's all there is to it.

Were there additional graphics?  No.

Was there a new option to change game to mobile-size layout, so you can play in a window while still doing something else?  No.  (You can resize, sure, just like you always could - but if you want a window that's even decently sized, there's really no way you can play comfortably while still doing anything else.)

Was there new artwork?  No.

There isn't much to discuss because there just aren't really any redeeming features to the new UI.  It's not like you can say "yes but the new multiple artworks per character make it more entertaining" - because there is no more artwork.  &c.  It's just worse.  I literally can't think of a single redeeming feature for the new UI, and as far as being bad - more screens to switch through to get complete information, that's a bad thing as far as I'm concerned.  Here I am with a nice large monitor and what?  Useless.

I can really only think the OP didn't experience the changes personally.  Although a call to reason and positivity is almost always best, in this particular case I think it's a lost cause.
  • Ducky
    Ducky Posts: 2,255 Community Moderator
    ***I'm locking this thread as there don't need to be 2 threads discussing the same UI change to Steam.***
This discussion has been closed.