On Doom

SpecSpecter
SpecSpecter Posts: 182 Tile Toppler
So I've been thinking a lot about Doctor Doom again recently. When it comes to in-game suggestions on if a character should get a variant it feels like his name ether at the top o the list or if not pretty darn close, I always assumed that it was mostly just the whole Sony/Fantastic Four embargo keeping them back but now hopefully that's no longer an issue.

So all that being said, just for fun and for my own curiosity I was wondering when/if they add another Doctor Doom to the game what sort of version should they go with?

Personally, for something on a 4* level, I would love to see them go with an Infamous Iron Man Doom variant (for those that don't know it, post Civil War II Stark goes missing and Doom decides to take it on himself to fill in as Iron Man as part of his new attempt at being a hero). As much as the concept still sounds really out there I realized that this version of Doom has been going on now for over a year, he's basically has been acting as Iron Man nearly just as long as Riri has been Ironheart. Not an insignificant chapter of Doom's history I would say. Plus, admittedly, I just really like the concept. In addition to all of that, just today I was actually really surprised that as of this post it's even still going on (though admittedly very much in the stages of winding down).

As for a 5* Doom... eh, here I would most like to see something simple and classic like 'Ruler of Latveria'. I'm sure some will voice in favor of something dynamic like God Emperor Doom form Secret Wars, but really Secret Wars in my opinion was honestly kind of rubbish and I think it something better put behind us rather then embracing and celebrating in something as big as a 5*. Not to mention 5*s seem to be falling back on classic looks more often anyways so a God Emperor Doom feels like it would stand out awkwardly. Also lets be serious, Plain old vanilla Doom by himself already is plenty worthy of being at a 5* level without any bells and whistles attached.

Thoughts?

Comments

• Dormammu
    Dormammu Posts: 3,531 Chairperson of the Boards
    The existing 3-star Dr. Doom is already (literally) 'classic' and has him at his most iconic, referencing his role as Latveria's ruler and giving his abilities a magical aspect. It's the perfect version of Dr. Doom.
  • TPF Alexis
    TPF Alexis Posts: 3,826 Chairperson of the Boards
    DOOM DOES NOT NEED IMPROVEMENT! DOOM IS ALREADY PERFECT! HOW DARE YOU SUGGEST THAT DOOM COULD BECOME BETTER!

;)
  • SpecSpecter
    edited March 2018
    Dormammu said:
    The existing 3-star Dr. Doom is already (literally) 'classic' and has him at his most iconic, referencing his role as Latveria's ruler and giving his abilities a magical aspect. It's the perfect version of Dr. Doom.
    You act like they don't often make 'classic' versions the same character both on a 3* level and at a 5* level. In any case the main reason to desire a variant of Doom is that just simply leaving him as a 3* and nothing more seems just down-right disrespectful to him as a character. I mean look at Doc Ock, they certainly had no problems implementing a higher-tier variant for him and Doom I feel would be way more deserving of such treatment.

I mean, unless you are just nitpicking on the use of the word 'classic', in which case... really?
  • Dormammu
    SpecSpecter said:
    In any case the main reason to desire a variant of Doom is that just simply leaving him as a 3* and nothing more seems just down-right disrespectful to him as a character.
    I couldn't agree more.

I mean, unless you are just nitpicking on the use of the word 'classic', in which case... really?
    Sorry, I didn't mean to come across as nitpicky. I just meant the current version is about as classic as you can get. Maybe a Kirby cover from the early FF days would be more classic?
  • SpecSpecter
    edited March 2018
    When I say 'classic' more what I mean is I don't want any weird alternative version of Doom. Well, aside from Infamous Iron Man I guess, but as I said that one is rather relevant as far as the comics go. But not things like God Emperor Doom or 2099 Doom or what ever odd variant someone might be able to pull out of the woodwork.

Dormammu said:

I just meant the current version is about as classic as you can get. Maybe a Kirby cover from the early FF days would be more classic?
    Eh, I can't say I agree. I mean, does the 3* make mention of him using both magic and technology as well as points out that he ruled Latveria? Technically yes, at best. As an in-game character though I can't feel like his 3* does him any justice though. All it really seems to say is "He can summon demons and plots stuff and is petty enough to force people to call him 'Doctor' even though he technically doesn't have the degree". Now out of context if you heard that would you really think that it was disscribing Doctor Doom? Not saying that it all isn't inaccurate on some level (but even that's iffy to a certain extent), but I can't feel that that all even really scratches the surface on Doom as a character...
  • Dormammu
    edited March 2018
    I don't know that anything in Marvel Puzzle Quest does anything more than scratch the surface of any character...

But they hit the main points of Doom in his 3-star version:
    -He is vain
    -He is smart and loves to plot against his enemies
    -He dabbles in sorcery
    -He's the dictator of Latveria
    -He hates Reed Richards

And his artwork is classic, iconic Doom

That's not to say I wouldn't want a 4-star or 5-star Doom, I would love that. I'm just not sure they can make a more classic version.
  • SpecSpecter
    edited March 2018
    I don't know how to really put it in words but just here's a a character that is magically on par with Doctor Strange and technologically on par with Iron Man but mechanically in game have him overly focused on summoning demons? Something he barely ever even does yet for someone who only knows the characters through the game it would be easy to assume that's his one big trick.

i mean this is Doom we are talking about, if it's abilities that set him apart from his 3* we are talking about (not that that's ever really been a huge concern of the Devs, let's be honest) I can't imagine it would be to difficult to find some abilities that would justify making him on a higher tier. Give him sorceries, give him Doombots, hell you can even give him time manipulation . What all that can translate to in-game can be anyone's guess, but the potential can really go anywhere.

I guess it should be said but I really have zero expectation on a 5* outside of, say, him appearing in the MCU. Hopefully that's not something not completely out of the realms of possibility now (I've been hearing some very reassuring rumors and speculation about him being put against Black Panther). And of coarse when/if that happens how he is on screen will absolutely dictate how he ends up in-game.

A 4* Infamous Iron Man Doom is a bit more likely I guess, but most of that probably is just me being optimistic. The Iron Man comics are about to hit a big milestone soon by the looks of it which seems will be highlighted by a very Doom related event. Eh, one can hope.
  • maguirenumber6
    maguirenumber6 Posts: 457 Mover and Shaker
    Doom is an iconic villian of the Marvel Universe. As such he does deserve at least one other, more powerful variant in-game. I would love to see a 4* Infamous Iron Man!