Standard TG

Options
THEMAGICkMAN
THEMAGICkMAN Posts: 697 Critical Contributor
now that KLD/AER have rotated our of standard, the power gap between legacy and standard is larger than ever. the problem with this is that it makes it hard to test standard decks when you're getting hit by Emrakuls and Omnis in Training Grounds. 
Training Grounds is meant to be a place to test/train your decks right? I mean it's in the name. but now testing standard decks is far more difficult.

TL;DR we need a standard variant of TG.

Comments

• Coilbox
    Coilbox Posts: 202 Tile Toppler
    Options
    Indeed, i would really like a toggle or something to choose if you want to play standard/legacy on training grounds.
  • ArielSira
    ArielSira Posts: 496 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    Across Ixalan to me feels like Standard TG
  • Coilbox
    Coilbox Posts: 202 Tile Toppler
    Options
    Does Across Ixalan have infinite charges...?
  • Gunmix25
    Gunmix25 Posts: 1,435 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Coilbox said:
    Does Across Ixalan have infinite charges...?
    Or is without objectives for unimpeded testing for that matter? This is something we've asked for many times over many months in the past year since TG began. There is no effective way to test standard builds against other standard builds in an open standard environment.  
  • ArielSira
    Options
    It feels the same to me because it's easy rewards for average 4 matches, though with the new skimmed Standard it would be nice to practice. I just use Heroic for it.
  • Mburn7
    Mburn7 Posts: 3,427 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    I just use Across Ixalan for standard training.  The nodes refresh, so you get more than enough attempts, and you can ignore the secondaries and still get full progression anyway.
  • Froggy
    Froggy Posts: 511 Critical Contributor
    Options
    But how about a play field that isn’t doing things to the gem board all the time? Across Ixalan is not TG. TG is simply two opponent’s playing their hand/deck. The gem board is not rigged in any way to anyone’s advantage (like how Across Ixalan is to the AI right now).

Just not the same thing.

Please get a TG for Standard AND Legacy.
  • ArielSira
    Options
    RtO too has stuff happening to the board so it follows AI pretty well (though different effects). Is there any other Standard event without quirky supports or rules? Easiest solution would indeed be a Legacy/Standard option for TG per match.
  • bk1234
    bk1234 Posts: 2,924 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Now that brainy Greg has been given a lobotomy, isn't Across Ixalan just Standard TG with better rewards?
  • wereotter
    wereotter Posts: 2,064 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    bken1234 said:
    Now that brainy Greg has been given a lobotomy, isn't Across Ixalan just Standard TG with better rewards?
    Training Grounds nets more crystals. Across Ixalan costs 20 and gives 30 whereas Training Grounds just gives 15. 
  • Gunmix25
    Options
    bken1234 said:
    To me that would be like saying the free TotP last week is just like TG but with better rewards.  
  • bk1234
    bk1234 Posts: 2,924 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    wereotter said:
    bken1234 said:
    Training Grounds nets more crystals. Across Ixalan costs 20 and gives 30 whereas Training Grounds just gives 15. 
    But AI gives a pack and unobtainium and allows you to play only Standard decks. 
  • Mburn7
    Options
    bken1234 said:
    Is he really that bad now?  I haven't played enough to notice.  I'd hope he's at least kind of smart now
  • Mainloop25
    Mainloop25 Posts: 1,940 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    bken1234 said:
    No because your colors aren't locked in with TG as they are with Across Ixalan. Try playing a Kiora deck in the current Across Ixalan.
  • ZW2007-
    ZW2007- Posts: 812 Critical Contributor
    Options
    I welcome the challenge of Legacy decks in TG against my Standard decks. If I can beat war pigs and deploy and the like with my Standard deck, I'd say it's pretty well tested for whatever a Standard only deck will throw at me.
  • Gunmix25
    Options
    ZW2007- said:
    I welcome the challenge of Legacy decks in TG against my Standard decks. If I can beat war pigs and deploy and the like with my Standard deck, I'd say it's pretty well tested for whatever a Standard only deck will throw at me.

I share a different view about that. When you build a standard deck to handle Legacy builds, that does not necessarily mean that you are viable against the present meta in Standard. This is especially so when trying to test out a build for a Standard event that has absolutely zero Piggies, olivias, Emrakhuls, etc allowed. it gets a bit frustrating when you think you have a viable build only to have the typical OP cards brutally shutdown the concept. Thus forcing you to build for them rather than the event for testing purposes. From what I have gathered in many discussions it is this issue that leads to many players inadvertently dropping objectives because they didn't exactly build successfully for it... but by god they can hold their own in TG.
  • Brakkis
    Brakkis Posts: 777 Critical Contributor
    edited March 2018
    Options
    bken1234 said:
    It's color specific, it has secondary and tertiary objectives, it has effects per each node that may alter how your hand is played, and it has node charges, preventing you from just hopping in and playing 40 matches in it because you're testing things out.

TG has none of that. It's pick a PW, pick a deck, test it out. No other shenanigans. The two are like night and day.

A Standard TG should be implemented.
  • FindingHeart8
    FindingHeart8 Posts: 2,730 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    making a new mode (Standard) would give Octagon an excuse to make us buy more deck slots ;)
  • Mburn7
    Options
    I'm pretty sure Oktagon said that this was a low-priority upgrade they were working on.  I suspect now that the releases have caught up to paper that we'll see more info on it soon
  • ZW2007-
    ZW2007- Posts: 812 Critical Contributor
    Options
    Gunmix25 said:
    ZW2007- said:

I share a different view about that. When you build a standard deck to handle Legacy builds, that does not necessarily mean that you are viable against the present meta in Standard. This is especially so when trying to test out a build for a Standard event that has absolutely zero Piggies, olivias, Emrakhuls, etc allowed. it gets a bit frustrating when you think you have a viable build only to have the typical OP cards brutally shutdown the concept. Thus forcing you to build for them rather than the event for testing purposes. From what I have gathered in many discussions it is this issue that leads to many players inadvertently dropping objectives because they didn't exactly build successfully for it... but by god they can hold their own in TG.
    Except I'm not building them to be good in TG, I'm building them to be resilient against anything Standard can throw at me. I build a deck with an event and objectives in mind and then I take that into TG. If it can handle pigs and Olivias and Omni decks, it's probably fine for the event I had in mind.