Who should I recruit next?

pixiejazz
pixiejazz Posts: 32 Just Dropped In
I currently have 8 covers in my 'recruit' section, but I'm still a few coins shy of unlocking a new recruit space. Once I get the coins, which one should I add to my roster?

Gambit (Modern)
Captain Marvel (Modern)
Storm (Mohawk)
Steve Rogers (Super Soldier)
Sam Wilson (Falcon)
Hawkeye (Hawkguy)
Juggernaut (Classic) **Note: I got rid of all my 1* covers, but was considering recruiting him for DDQ**
Steve Rogers (Captain America)

This is my current roster - https://mpq.gamependium.com/rosters/pixie/

I'm just trying to decide who would be best to add, besides Juggernaut, to my roster next. Thoughts?

Comments

• Dormammu
    Dormammu Posts: 3,531 Chairperson of the Boards
    3-star Cap is is one of the best 3-stars, and since the 3-star tier is your next destination I guess I'd save him. Falcon's a great support character and I also like Hawkeye. If you need to make room you could sell your Squirrel Girl and your 4-star Venom.

A couple other pieces of advice:

1) I see you don't have IM40 on roster. Time to set him as your 3-star bonus hero and make champing him a priority. After that, do the same with Doc Strange and finish him up.

2) Stop putting ISO into your 5-stars, that's foolish. They may seem attractive to you but it's going to negatively affect your match-making in PvP. To be honest, they're just eating up roster slots that could be put to better use for you right now.
  • pixiejazz
    How do you set someone up as a bonus hero? I've been playing since November, but I'm still learning how things work in the game.

The only 5 star I put any ISO-8 into was Thanos after I got another move for him. The other 2 have one move and haven't used any of my 600k+ ISO-8.

As for the recruiting, I actually was considering selling off Venom, since the move he has annoys me so much, and then I can replace him with Cap instead.
  • Dormammu
    pixiejazz said:
    How do you set someone up as a bonus hero? I've been playing since November, but I'm still learning how things work in the game.
    When you're looking at your roster there's a little heart in the lower left corner of the character portrait which you can tap on. Doing so will turn it yellow. That sets it as your bonus hero. You can set as many as you like, but its usually best to set just one at each tier (one 3-star, one 4-star, one 5-star). If you have more than one set at a specific star tier, the AI will pick one of them at random. Any time you get a 3-star from a token, there's a chance you'll get a cover for your bonus hero, and vice versa for 4-stars and 5-stars. 3-Star bonus heroes come pretty rapidly just off Standard/Elite/Heroic tokens.

pixiejazz said:
    The only 5 star I put any ISO-8 into was Thanos after I got another move for him. The other 2 have one move and haven't used any of my 600k+ ISO-8.
    Your roster on Gampendium shows two other 5-stars at level 270; you must have leveled them because 5-stars start at level 255. It's possible you could start seeing teams of champed 4-stars in PvP because of your 5-stars, which you'd have no chance against. You should be seeing teams of champed 2-stars and low-level 3-stars that are in-line with your roster, but the matchmaking in this game takes into account the highest level characters you have in your roster. Hopefully the fact that your 5-stars have so few covers is keeping this from happening... yet. Either way, they aren't doing you any favors and investing any more ISO into them would be inadvisable.
  • HoundofShadow
    HoundofShadow Posts: 8,004 Chairperson of the Boards
    Do you play PvE or PvP more often? IF PvP, ditch your 5* and 4*. If not, keep them.. I see you have 6 2* and if you play PvE, it's not going to be favourable to you. 

End of the day, you want to roster all your 2* (for farming HP, covers and CP) and 3*. Your focus would be rostering all your 2* (except bagman maybe) and 3*. 
  • DAZ0273
    DAZ0273 Posts: 9,580 Chairperson of the Boards
    What Dormmamu says above with regard to 5* is wise. I also think it is one of this games little traps for new players - only 5* can be levelled with a single cover, it is an obvious enticement when you don't realise the consequences.

I'm also wondering whether you might have been selling off your 3* champion rewards from your 2*? I couldn't see Patch, Thor, Widow, Magneto etc. The only reason I mention this is that these are nailed on 3* covers as your 2* progress (and get recycled) and you can build these characters faster because of this (plus some of them are very good like Patch and 3* Mags) and much less at the mercy of RNG. Having someone like Beast or Squirrel Girl is of less benefit than a character that has a definite 3 covers coming.

• pixiejazz
    Okay, so I set my bonus heroes. Thanks for letting me know about that. I had no idea the heart did that. I'd just favorited characters I liked and thought would be cool to have. That's been taken care of now so IM40, Doctor Strange, and maybe one other character is favorited.

As for the 5* characters, I thought they started at 270, so I guess I did sink some ISO-8 into Gambit and Black Bolt. I don't remember it, but I don't pay much attention to the ISO-8, since I get so much of it and don't really think about what I'm using it for.

I do enjoy using Thanos, though, because of his high health and his "come and get me' move doing a lot of damage. I might just toss my 5* Gambit, as I rarely, if ever use him. I use Black Bolt mostly with lower level characters because he has that 'boost color' move that lets me hoard AP faster and use their moves faster.

• pixiejazz
    Do you play PvE or PvP more often? IF PvP, ditch your 5* and 4*. If not, keep them.. I see you have 6 2* and if you play PvE, it's not going to be favourable to you. 

End of the day, you want to roster all your 2* (for farming HP, covers and CP) and 3*. Your focus would be rostering all your 2* (except bagman maybe) and 3*. 
    I do play PvP/PvE most often. It's the fastest way for me to earn rewards/coins, and I usually place in the top 10 when I stay active.
  • pixiejazz
    DAZ0273 said:
    What Dormmamu says above with regard to 5* is wise. I also think it is one of this games little traps for new players - only 5* can be levelled with a single cover, it is an obvious enticement when you don't realise the consequences.

I'm also wondering whether you might have been selling off your 3* champion rewards from your 2*? I couldn't see Patch, Thor, Widow, Magneto etc. The only reason I mention this is that these are nailed on 3* covers as your 2* progress (and get recycled) and you can build these characters faster because of this (plus some of them are very good like Patch and 3* Mags) and much less at the mercy of RNG. Having someone like Beast or Squirrel Girl is of less benefit than a character that has a definite 3 covers coming.

I have sold off Patch. I had him, but rarely used him because he only had one move that didn't do much, so I replaced him with someone else. I have 2* champed Thor, Widow, and Magneto. I don't care much for Widow, but Thor and Magneto are pretty awesome. I'm guessing I should also have 3* Thor and Mag?

As for Beast, I don't really use him all that much. Maybe I can sell him off and recruit someone else. Most of my current covers waiting for recruitment are 3* characters, like Mohawk Storm, Modern Capt. Marvel, and Hawkguy version of Hawkeye. I suppose it's time I add one of them to my team. Probably Hawkguy.
  • HoundofShadow
    HoundofShadow Posts: 8,004 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited March 2018
    Please favourite only one character for each star level, unless I misunderstood it. You said you favourited IM40, Dr. Strange and one other character. The reason is if you favourite 3 of them at the same star level, you are still going to get bonus cover for only one of them. The probability is 1/3. If you set to only one favourite for each tier, you will get a guaranteed cover of that favourited character.
  • Dormammu
    pixiejazz said:
    I have sold off Patch. I had him, but rarely used him because he only had one move that didn't do much, so I replaced him with someone else. I have 2* champed Thor, Widow, and Magneto. I don't care much for Widow, but Thor and Magneto are pretty awesome. I'm guessing I should also have 3* Thor and Mag?
    Patch and Magneto are top 3-stars, and they are fed by 2-star champ rewards. So as you gain champ levels on your 2-star Wolverine, it'll start rewarding you with Patch covers. Same with 2-star Magneto who feeds 3-star Magneto. Once your 2-star reaches the max-champ level (144) you can sell it and start a new one, and earn those champ prizes all over again. This is a great way to feed the 3-star covers they reward.

Widow is a sneaky good 2-star and the best support character at that tier. Her purple AP theft will accelerate anyone she is teamed with and her blue is good against countdown users or for a quick burst of healing.
  • pixiejazz
    Please favourite only one character for each star level, unless I misunderstood it. You said you favourited IM40, Dr. Strange and one other character. The reason is if you favourite 3 of them at the same star level, you are still going to get bonus cover for only one of them. The probability is 1/3. If you set to only one favourite for each tier, you will get a guaranteed cover of that favourited character.
    I only favorite IM40 and Doctor Strange in the same star level because maybe I can finish him off, like mentioned above, and I don't even have IM40, so if I can unlock him and recruit him, then I can start building him up too. The other character is a 4* I want.
  • pixiejazz
    Dormammu said:
    pixiejazz said:
    Patch and Magneto are top 3-stars, and they are fed by 2-star champ rewards. So as you gain champ levels on your 2-star Wolverine, it'll start rewarding you with Patch covers. Same with 2-star Magneto who feeds 3-star Magneto. Once your 2-star reaches the max-champ level (144) you can sell it and start a new one, and earn those champ prizes all over again. This is a great way to feed the 3-star covers they reward.

Widow is a sneaky good 2-star and the best support character at that tier. Her purple AP theft will accelerate anyone she is teamed with and her blue is good against countdown users or for a quick burst of healing.
    Hmm, I didn't realize that was how it worked. I suppose I'll have to start working on getting Patch and Magneto, then.

As for Widow, I like that she can steal and heal, but at the same time, it seems like whenever I use her, my board ends up with no purples or blues, or very few, and it takes ages to use her move. That's the only reason I don't care much for her. That's just a personal thing for me.
  • Waddles_Pines
    Waddles_Pines Posts: 1,189 Chairperson of the Boards
    3* Cap or Hawkguy.  Though if you go with Hawkguy, definitely roster 2* Hawkeye since he feeds covers to him.  (FYI 2* Hawkeye/Storm/Mags is a killer team at your level)

Below is random advice that I wrote because I read your post wrong.  I need coffee...

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    1* - Juggs, Spidey, or Iron Man.  You only need one, so it's dealer's choice (though if you have animations on, it's whoever's animations appeal to you because you'll be seeing them over and over and over...)

2* - As other's have said roster them all since they all feed different 3*, and are part of the farming simulator that's built into the game.  As for 2*Widow.  In your tier, she's also one of your top two characters for dealing with goons (her and Cap).  Her abilities also let her increase the duration of enemy countdowns, so it gives you a little wiggle room to get yourself out of a jam. 

3* - you'll eventually roster them all, but if your spots are limited, concentrate on ones that are fed by 2*s (ie Wolverine, Cap, Mags, etc)

4*-5* - it's too big a jump for you to go into this tier without spending a lot of $$$.  As others suggested, you might want to get rid of some of them.  All except the top tier ones you have.  By the time you reach this tier, all the ones you have will be vintage and harder to cover at that time.

General - save your CP/legendary tokens.  Don't use them at all.  Use your HP only for slots for now.  Your ISO amount might sound like a lot, but the jump from 3* to 4* starts wiping out ISO pretty quickly.  

At the end of the day, play how you want to.  There's no "wrong" way as long as you're happy playing.  
  • DAZ0273
    edited March 2018
    pixiejazz said:
    DAZ0273 said:

As for Beast, I don't really use him all that much. Maybe I can sell him off and recruit someone else. Most of my current covers waiting for recruitment are 3* characters, like Mohawk Storm, Modern Capt. Marvel, and Hawkguy version of Hawkeye. I suppose it's time I add one of them to my team. Probably Hawkguy.
    You should get 3* covers at level 99, 115 & 127 for each 2* Champion that you level towards max 144, so you should have had 2 Patch, 2 Thor and 1 Magneto cover so far based upon your roster.

Edit: And I see you rostered Patch! Good move, it may not seem like it now as his health is low but this will do you good in the future. Patch's healing factor is very good and will save you healthpacks, he also has a nice combination that can be done with Loki and he is absolutely great in Strange Sights against boss Kaecilius.

• DAZ0273
    Dormammu said:
    pixiejazz said:

2* Widow's blue was an absolute gift from heaven when doing the old style Big Enchillada, saved me many a time.
  • pixiejazz
    3* Cap or Hawkguy.  Though if you go with Hawkguy, definitely roster 2* Hawkeye since he feeds covers to him.  (FYI 2* Hawkeye/Storm/Mags is a killer team at your level)

Below is random advice that I wrote because I read your post wrong.  I need coffee...

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    1* - Juggs, Spidey, or Iron Man.  You only need one, so it's dealer's choice (though if you have animations on, it's whoever's animations appeal to you because you'll be seeing them over and over and over...)

2* - As other's have said roster them all since they all feed different 3*, and are part of the farming simulator that's built into the game.  As for 2*Widow.  In your tier, she's also one of your top two characters for dealing with goons (her and Cap).  Her abilities also let her increase the duration of enemy countdowns, so it gives you a little wiggle room to get yourself out of a jam. 

3* - you'll eventually roster them all, but if your spots are limited, concentrate on ones that are fed by 2*s (ie Wolverine, Cap, Mags, etc)

4*-5* - it's too big a jump for you to go into this tier without spending a lot of $$$.  As others suggested, you might want to get rid of some of them.  All except the top tier ones you have.  By the time you reach this tier, all the ones you have will be vintage and harder to cover at that time.

General - save your CP/legendary tokens.  Don't use them at all.  Use your HP only for slots for now.  Your ISO amount might sound like a lot, but the jump from 3* to 4* starts wiping out ISO pretty quickly.  

At the end of the day, play how you want to.  There's no "wrong" way as long as you're happy playing.  
    I recruited both Cap and Hawkguy. Although now I suppose I need their 2* counterparts. I also still have Falcon, Captain Marvel (the 3* version), and 3* Human Torch on my waiting list. I might snag Marvel, since I have her 2* counterpart champed already.

I'm probably going to recruit Juggernaut and max him out again since he's the best 1* character, I think.

I mostly use 2* Widow during DDQ, and she is kind of useful. I just get frustrated with her when there are no purples or blues to hoard and she becomes useless.

I might start selling off a few of my 4* characters to recruit the 3* ones I have and work on them first. I guess it depends on who I want to save and who can become expendable.
  • pixiejazz
    DAZ0273 said:
    pixiejazz said:
    DAZ0273 said:

You should get 3* covers at level 99, 115 & 127 for each 2* Champion that you level towards max 144, so you should have had 2 Patch, 2 Thor and 1 Magneto cover so far based upon your roster.

Edit: And I see you rostered Patch! Good move, it may not seem like it now as his health is low but this will do you good in the future. Patch's healing factor is very good and will save you healthpacks, he also has a nice combination that can be done with Loki and he is absolutely great in Strange Sights against boss Kaecilius.

Yep, I got rid of Beast and recruited Patch. I got rid of Peggy Carter and recruited Hawkguy. Fingers crossed that I start seeing their covers pop up more often so I can build them up to be a lot more powerful than they are now.
  • Dormammu
    pixiejazz said:
    I'm probably going to recruit Juggernaut and max him out again since he's the best 1* character, I think.
    Spider-Man is the fastest 1-star. If you're just looking for someone to clear DDQ quickly, accept no substitutes. But you can't go wrong with Juggs, either. He has other uses like a pretty good team-up in his green and he's quite a tank in the Balance of Power off-season PvP event where all characters are buffed to level 550.
  • Heartbreaksoup
    Heartbreaksoup Posts: 352 Mover and Shaker
    What a fun discussion!

I'm not as enamored with IM40 as Dormammu is, but I agree completely with him on 3-star Cap.  His powers do require a lot of AP, but once you've built them up, he does a heck of a lot of damage on red, and unless the board is just cruel to you and you lose his countdown tile, you will be throwing that shield again very quickly,  Cap is fantastic on wave nodes, where you've got time to use and reuse his shield.

I'm also not as enamored with Patch as DAZ is, but you'll find him very useful in the right circumstances.  On most goon nodes - NOT symbiotes, though! - his unusual power that gives your enemies strike tiles will not factor into things.  He self-heals better and more efficiently than 2* or 4* Wolverine.  He's easier to keep leveling because the champed 2* Wolverine gives him covers, and, in turn, champed Patch gives you 4* Wolverine covers.  (You'll be getting 4* Wolverine very soon if not already.  Three of his covers are the daily SHIELD rewards for days 149 and up to 180.)

Finally, a contrary note on Bonus Heroes: Since you're beginning with 3*s, I agree completely that you should pick one favorite 3*.  Every time you get a 3* from a Standard Token, you'll get that Bonus.  5% of your 3*s from Elite and Heroic will also give you that Bonus.  You should pick your favorite, and you will see that character appear very frequently.

But with the 4* characters, actually, I'm quite happy with having eight or nine favorited.  I do not currently have any 4*s champed - the closest I have come is Mockingbird, with ten covers - and so I'm perfectly pleased just to have the opportunity for any of these characters to get another cover.  It's more important to me right now to have several 4* characters around level 78-106, with three or four covers apiece, than a whole mess of them with a single cover at level 70 and just Mockingbird champed.

If your goal is specifically something like "I want 4* Medusa champed as quickly as possible," then sure, favorite her and her alone.  If you're still looking for just more 4*s, period, and a broader base of characters, don't spare the gold hearts!
  • Waddles_Pines
    Waddles_Pines Posts: 1,189 Chairperson of the Boards
    I'm not as enamored with IM40 as Dormammu is, but I agree completely with him on 3-star Cap.  His powers do require a lot of AP, but once you've built them up, he does a heck of a lot of damage on red, and unless the board is just cruel to you and you lose his countdown tile, you will be throwing that shield again very quickly,  Cap is fantastic on wave nodes, where you've got time to use and reuse his shield.

The whole thing about IM40 is that his AP generation is sick and helps speed things along so much in that tier (he's also useful in 4*, but 3* if not boosted get a lil squishy in pvp).  As you mentioned Cap is great, but with IM40 he shines.  By the time you've built up to 6 yellow and have the tiles resolve, you usually have enough AP to throw his red/blue shields twice in one turn.  That should be enough to kill a foe or two, and stun the remaining.  On a long wave mission, hilarity ensues when you time your IM40 yellow tiles with Caps tiles.  Sometimes you can have 4 or 5 shields out at the same time  :)

Also, on the subject of AP generation, Kamala if you want to build a team around green (her green AOE or Thor's), Switch if you want to build it around purple (her purple AOE or Deadpool's come to mind).  Iron Fist if you want to run a team around black (Black Panther AOE, Fist high purple damage from having 12 black AP, etc).  

It's all about synergy and what powers/characters you want to build around.