When Kaladesh goes away

Gilesclone
Gilesclone Posts: 735 Critical Contributor
edited March 2018 in MtGPQ General Discussion
We don't really know when Kaladesh is going to rotate out of Standard, but it will almost certainly happen before the end of the year. This got me to thinking about what we will lose at that point. I'm not going to go into the mythics. There are some extremely powerful cards there and we will mourn them/bid them good riddance. But what about the rest of the set?

Of the uncommons, White (especially Nahiri) is going to really miss Visionary Augmenter. What a rock star in aggressive decks. But the one that will be the most painful is Unlicensed Disintegration. For Red that card is irreplaceable. There are no other kill spells in red that don't depend on damage.

There's quite a few rares we'll miss too. For white I think Authority of the Consuls and Solemn Recruit are the biggest losses.
 Blue loses some greats: Whirl of Invention and Insidious Will. Nothing quite like those cards in the other sets.
 Ob Nix isn't the same without Lost Legacy and Underhanded Design was great for support heavy Black decks.
 I don't know about any of the rest of you, but losing Release the Gremlins will really hurt versus the support heavy meta we're in.
 For Green the one I'll miss is Cultivator of Blades. I remember when I got that as a Silver player it instantly gave my green decks a chance.
 For colorless, Scraphead Scrounger has no replacement and Saheeli is losing all her GOOD vehicles. There's a ton of other useful cards that go away.
 What cards are you going to miss the most?

Comments

• hawkyh1
    hawkyh1 Posts: 780 Critical Contributor
    giant spectacle, fumigate, aetherflux reservoir.

HH
  • wereotter
    wereotter Posts: 2,064 Chairperson of the Boards
    Rishkar was such a good card for green decks, so I'll miss him. Sram was great for the first white Across Ixalan node, so I'll miss that there, and Kari Zev has been a nice, cheap add for pirate decks.
  • Gunmix25
    Gunmix25 Posts: 1,433 Chairperson of the Boards
    Giant spectacle,  Kari Zev, Solemn recruit,  marrionette master, Rishkar's Expertise are the big ones for me
  • Mainloop25
    Mainloop25 Posts: 1,934 Chairperson of the Boards
    Baral! 
  • madwren
    madwren Posts: 2,226 Chairperson of the Boards
    I'll miss all of these cards, which I use either constantly, or enough that I'll be a little sad:

Angel of Invention
    Authority of the Consuls
    Baral
    Bomat Courier
    Cultivator of Blades (my poor samut deck)
    Dubious Challenge
    Dynavolt
    Exquisite Archangel
    Fateful Showdown
    Heart of Kiran
    Herald of Anguish
    Insidious WiIl
    Kari Zev (a pirate!)
    Lightning Runner
    Marionette Master
    Metalwork Colossus
    Rashmi
    Rishkar's Expertise
    Scrapheap Scrounger
    Skyship
    Solemn Recruit (best dwarf ever)
    Sram
    Whir of Invention (edited)

But something that's pretty key is that the engine of modern combo -- Baral, Rashmi, Rishkar's Expertise, and Whir--will be severely crippled.

• madwren
    madwren Posts: 2,226 Chairperson of the Boards
    We don't really know when Kaladesh is going to rotate out of Standard, but it will almost certainly happen before the end of the year. This got me to thinking about what we will lose at that point. I'm not going to go into the mythics. There are some extremely powerful cards there and we will mourn them/bid them good riddance. But what about the rest of the set?

Of the uncommons, White (especially Nahiri) is going to really miss Visionary Augmenter. What a rock star in aggressive decks. But the one that will be the most painful is Unlicensed Disintegration. For Red that card is irreplaceable. There are no other kill spells in red that don't depend on damage.

There's quite a few rares we'll miss too. For white I think Authority of the Consuls and Solemn Recruit are the biggest losses.
     Blue loses some greats: Whirl of Invention and Insidious Will. Nothing quite like those cards in the other sets.
     Ob Nix isn't the same without Lost Legacy and Underhanded Design was great for support heavy Black decks.
     I don't know about any of the rest of you, but losing Release the Gremlins will really hurt versus the support heavy meta we're in.
     For Green the one I'll miss is Cultivator of Blades. I remember when I got that as a Silver player it instantly gave my green decks a chance.
     For colorless, Scraphead Scrounger has no replacement and Saheeli is losing all her GOOD vehicles. There's a ton of other useful cards that go away.
     What cards are you going to miss the most?

Don't forget you still have By Force to replace Release the Gremlins.
  • Mainloop25
    Mainloop25 Posts: 1,934 Chairperson of the Boards
    Aside from everything else, Angel of Invention and Metalwork Colossus are both big losses. Along with Mythic vehicles, Lightning Runner, Marionette Master, Rashmi  and ahem, Yahenni. 
  • Gilesclone
    No! Not Yehenni!  My first duplicate mythic.
  • Sorin81
    Sorin81 Posts: 542 Critical Contributor
    Well I guess what I'll miss most is my masterpiece sword.
  • Thuran
    Thuran Posts: 456 Mover and Shaker
    Going to miss ornithopter :( a key staple of any "lose x or less" deck of mine
  • ZW2007-
    ZW2007- Posts: 812 Critical Contributor
    The card I will miss the most is Mox Opal. Converting 3 gems to white in Elspeth or 3 to red in Koth is just so awesome. All my mono-colored walkers will mourn that loss. It actually made them fun to play over dual-color walkers.
  • DBJones
    DBJones Posts: 803 Critical Contributor
    Does Mox Opal still work right? Every other convert to your Planeswalker's color I know of (including the node effect in RtO) randomly switches between your color and your opponent's color. Also, once they fix that Dowsing Dagger's flip side could be a reasonable replacement. More involved to get going, but 6 gems converted to your color in two steps is significant.
  • ZW2007-
    I've never had an issue with Mox Opal converting the wrong colors but I do know of the bug. Unfortunately I don't have Dowsing Dagger so I'll have to chase it as a replacement.
  • ArielSira
    ArielSira Posts: 489 Mover and Shaker
    ...why do both of you say Mox Opal when you're talking about Chrome Mox?

On one hand I'm looking forward to a new Standard, on the other hand I see madwren's list and want to cry for all the cards I'm going to miss.
  • ZW2007-
    Because clearly I mixed up the name and couldn't be bothered to double check it, but you are right. I'm not looking forward to new standard if we have to continue playing RotGP under the new rules. I doubly don't look forward to new standard if there is a new red node that wants you to take less than x damage.

• Gilesclone
    My Saheeli loses less than x deck is nearly half gone: Unlicensed Disintegration, Ornithopter (and the little Whale it replaced), Boomship, and Whirl are all gone and have no easy replacements.
  • Thuran
    Its OK that Baral is gone, we can just use rashm...oh, right...but at least we got panharmonicon....wait...

Also, with whir gone, and sphinx's decree coming in, omnidecks as infinite loops seem GONE, and good riddance.

Long live cycling!
  • TomB
    TomB Posts: 269 Mover and Shaker
    I'll really miss my Lightning Runner... :'(
  • Thuran
    edited March 2018
    *pats TomB*

Me too, my reaction when I realized it was going was to quote Darth Vader.

But it could be worse; it could be Ob nixilis losing lost legacy
  • Mburn7
    Mburn7 Posts: 3,427 Chairperson of the Boards
    Thuran said:

But it could be worse; it could be Ob nixilis losing lost legacy
    Lol

I find this incredibly funny.  Kaladesh was panned as a horrible set for weeks before and after its release, and now everyone is super sad to see it go.

I will definitely miss my Rashimi loop decks (remember when we thought she was trash too?), and my Solemn Recruit abuse, and my Dovin Energy deck that worked just fine with none of the energy mythics.

But this is good for the game.  Most infinity decks will no longer work, and the game's overall power level is going way down.  I look forward to seeing matches last longer than 4 rounds now.