***** Thanos (The Mad Titan) *****

2»

Comments

• DeNappa
    DeNappa Posts: 1,368 Chairperson of the Boards
    DeNappa wrote:
    bigsmooth wrote:
    DeNappa wrote:
    After playing a match with my 1 cover Thano5 (0/1/0), I realized he's not a very good matchup with characters that place a 'repeatable countdown'.

I paired him with 3* Blade, and I had his nightstalker countdown tile out. After firing Thanos's purple power, when it was my turn again Blade's countdown triggered, but instead of upping the count back to 1, the tile resolved instead.

Still, I'm not sure... should this be considered a bug? Sure, Thanos prevents tiles from being 'changed or destroyed unless by matching', but countdown tiles still count down, so why can the countdown not be reset to 1?
    I think this is because the game treats that type of countdown tile as resolving, then separately "placing" a new CD tile in the same spot on the board. Rarely, this is also seen when a character with color-changing powers (e.g. Iceman) changes the color of a CD like Nightstalker or Flame Jet - when the CD "expires", it changes back to the original color.

So technically it's behaving as expected, because Thanos is preventing the "new" CD from being placed. Whether that's the intended behavior is a different question.
    Yeah, I understand the technicalities of it, I'm inclined to think it's a bug though, because the power descriptions usually say 'places a countdown that resolves/activates every turn'.
    On this issue: I decided to put in a ticket and report this as bug, to get a ruling for this. This was the response I got:
    [..]what you have described is normal gameplay functionality. To clarify, powers such as Blade (Daywalker)'s Nightstalker (Black) power or Human Torch (Classic)'s Flame Jet (Green) power will refresh themselves by placing new countdown tiles on the board. While Thanos (The Mad Titan)'s Infinite Power (Purple) power is active, it prevents these tiles from refreshing.
    I guess that's clear enough!
  • Dormammu
    Dormammu Posts: 3,531 Chairperson of the Boards
    I just got my second 5Thanos purple cover and I was reading its description. icon_question.gif
    After a few moments I read it again. icon_question.gif

After reading it for the third time I realized I still have no earthly idea how it works. icon_e_confused.gif
  • Jaedenkaal
    Jaedenkaal Posts: 3,357 Chairperson of the Boards
    Dormammu wrote:
    I just got my second 5Thanos purple cover and I was reading its description. icon_question.gif
    After a few moments I read it again. icon_question.gif

After reading it for the third time I realized I still have no earthly idea how it works. icon_e_confused.gif

Basically, while it's out, the only 2 things that can happen on the board are:

1) Matches can be made (no idea if match-5s still create crit tiles, I could see this going either way)
    2) Countdown tiles can still count down, and will expire and disappear if they hit 0.

Otherwise, any effect that would alter anything about the board fails to do that. If the power has other effects (damage, healing, stunning) those effects will still occur. If the power has no other effects, you'll be prevented from using it (I believe) as though the power had no valid targets.
  • sambrookjm
    sambrookjm Posts: 2,105 Chairperson of the Boards
    Wow...no posts in this one in a year?  Surprising.  Anyway, a question about Thanos.

I was able to get enough purple during the Avengers vs Ultron event to activate his purple ability.  It stopped Ultron from destroying the bottom row (Yay!) but bombs kept appearing in the top row?  Is this really how it should work?
  • Quebbster
    Quebbster Posts: 8,070 Chairperson of the Boards
    Wow...no posts in this one in a year?  Surprising.  Anyway, a question about Thanos.

I was able to get enough purple during the Avengers vs Ultron event to activate his purple ability.  It stopped Ultron from destroying the bottom row (Yay!) but bombs kept appearing in the top row?  Is this really how it should work?
    The bombs are extra-special tiles, so they may not be covered by Infinite Power. They had to make sure Gambit couldn't overwrite them with his purple after all...
  • sambrookjm
    edited August 2018
    OK...I must be the only one who has these questions about Infinite Power.

I'm running him in the latest event vs Moonstone, Ares and Bullseye (SCL 9, so they're all at LVL 370).  I had Infinite Power at 5, with a four turn countdown active.  Moonstone casts Gravity Warp, and it moved the Infinite Power Countdown tile.  Why?
  • Jaedenkaal
    Loki's Mischief will also work, for example.
  • MoosePrime
    MoosePrime Posts: 946 Critical Contributor
    I think you mean Illusions (his purple power), not Mischief (his green power)
  • Jaedenkaal
    edited August 2018
    I think you mean Illusions (his purple power), not Mischief (his green power)
    Yes, that one. 
  • sambrookjm
    Another Infinite Power Question - Does it stop 4-star Venom's passive reduction of enemy Protect Tiles?  I noticed that Infinite Power stops the Carrier symbiote's passive boosting of enemy special tiles, but that takes place at the start of each turn, and is not a continuous effect like Venom's ability is.

I ask this because, in Venom's required node in the latest PvE, Thanos killed one of the enemy symbiotes with his purple tile active.  It seemed like their shields (created by 4-star Venom) were at their normal power, as both of the other enemies survived the Snap.
  • MoosePrime
    MoosePrime Posts: 946 Critical Contributor
    When Venom is stunned, his passive does not work.  Thanos stunned him, so the protect tiles were at full strength.
  • sambrookjm
    edited December 2018
    When Venom is stunned, his passive does not work.  Thanos stunned him, so the protect tiles were at full strength.
    So the stunning portion of the power takes place before everyone takes the Court Death damage?  That's good to know.  It had never occurred to me that the order would be important...but here we are.
  • frederec
    frederec Posts: 22 Just Dropped In

So the stunning portion of the power takes place before everyone takes the Court Death damage?  That's good to know.  It had never occurred to me that the order would be important...but here we are.
    This is why 5* Thanos doesn't work with Okoye, but you see people using 3* Thanos with her a lot.
  • sambrookjm
    Does Infinite Power prevent Supports that Thanos has equipped from changing the board?  I've got Corvus Glaive equipped to my Thanos, which has a chance to fortify a friendly tile and do damage.  However, I don't know if it's ever fired off while I've had Infinite Power active.  Anyone have any ideas?
  • maguirenumber6
    maguirenumber6 Posts: 457 Mover and Shaker
    Just champed Thanos today  :)

What's his best build? 
  • RickOShay
    RickOShay Posts: 452 Mover and Shaker
    Just champed Thanos today  :)

What's his best build? 
    Congrats!
    5/3/5 if you will be trying to play his green CD for AoE damage. 
    If you plan to be using a different character's green, spec his purple up to level 5. It does great damage on matches Thanos makes. 
  • ThaRoadWarrior
    ThaRoadWarrior Posts: 9,125 Chairperson of the Boards
    I just champed my Thano5 a week or few ago, and discovered that if you run him with Apocalypse + Any Mutant affiliated 3rd, you can stack Shared Strength damage on 5* Court Death. Probably won't change anyone's play too much, but figured it was edge case enough to say out loud.