Can an Old Veteran get some leveling advice?

renfox
renfox Posts: 31 Just Dropped In
Hi gang. I started playing when MPQ first came out and stopped playing right as they implemented the Champion system.

I'm wondering, should I focus on spending my Iso on Champing my 3* heroes before champing my 2* heroes? I have a lot of lvl 100 3* and 2*

Here's my current roster. I'm wondering what you guys would do in my shoes, both generally and with specific heroes.

One of my biggest concerns is wasting resources and having key fragile heroes tanking during fights. 
Tagged:

Comments

• Sim Mayor
    Sim Mayor Posts: 309 Mover and Shaker
    The best advice I never heeded was to get a 2* farm completely up and running before going whole-hog on champing 3* characters. You get so many 2* characters that will just add a barely noticeable trickle of iso if you're not farming them, whereas with the farm you start building up HP, CP and a bunch of good basic 3* covers that free you up to focus on some of the harder to get stuff.
  • Dormammu
    Dormammu Posts: 3,531 Chairperson of the Boards
    If I were you this is what I'd do:

1) Max out your Juggernaut and sell all your other 1-stars. Use Juggernaut in the 1-star DDQ node solo. You'll never lose with him and you'll free up some valuable roster slots. 1-stars are otherwise useless.

2) Champ all the 2-stars and start your farm. Once a 2-star is max-champed (lv 144) sell it and start a new one. Repeat this process into infinity. The repeated champ rewards will yield you valuable CP, HP, and 3-star covers. The overall net ISO loss for doing this is minuscule (like 6k?) and will accelerate your roster progress.

3) Champ all the 3-stars once you have your 2-star farm up and running. Yeah, all of them. This is a marathon goal, not a sprint, but you eventually want them all on roster and champed. In the short term, champ your IM40, Magneto, and Patch - IM40 is is a priority, he'll do more for you than anyone else on roster with his yellow power. Set your bonus hero as Dr. Strange - you need a champed Doc Strange ASAP for PvE (he destroys goons) and you'll thank me for this advice once you have him up and running.

4) Stop putting any ISO into your 4-stars. Roster them as they come and let them start accumulating covers for when you're ready to make the jump to that tier - ideally when you've nearly champed all the 3-stars. Do the same with any 5-stars that come your way. If rostering these is a problem due to lack of slots, hoard your CP and legendary tokens so that you're not wasting covers.

5) Use your resources wisely. All HP should go to roster slots. Hoard your CP for a rainy day. You never know when you'll run into a 11 or 12 cover 3-star that you really want to champ and spending the CP to finish covering them is sometimes a really good decision.

5) Focus on PvE (Story) events. This is where you'll gain the most resources (specifically ISO and covers) to move you forward. Dabble in PvP (Versus) events but don't get frustrated if you can't go very far yet - get what you can and don't worry about it.
  • Dormammu
    P.S.

Keep your Bagman! Back in the day we used to loathe getting useless Bagman covers from tokens. I'm sure you remember how depressing it was to pull Bagman off a Heroic Token as it felt like a waste of a token. But his covers are really hard to get now that he has left tokens and newer players (especially completion/collection fanatics) would kill to have a fully-covered Bagman as a trophy. Plus, there's actually a Bagman PvP event once a year wherte all of us who have champed Bagmen brag about it to those who don't.  :p
  • renfox
    Awesome, Thanks for all the great advice. Yeah I have to keep Bagman. I'm a completionist at heart. I remember making the argument that Bagman was a joke hero and that he was enjoyable as such and not to take him so seriously. 
  • renfox
    Sim Mayor said:
    The best advice I never heeded was to get a 2* farm completely up and running before going whole-hog on champing 3* characters. You get so many 2* characters that will just add a barely noticeable trickle of iso if you're not farming them, whereas with the farm you start building up HP, CP and a bunch of good basic 3* covers that free you up to focus on some of the harder to get stuff.
    So If I farm a 2* and get a 3* cover for a hero I have fully covered, this isn't a waste? Just sell it for ISO and keep cycling?  I'm guessing the other rewards outweigh the 3 or so 3* covers I end up selling?
  • Dormammu
    edited March 2018
    renfox said:
    So If I farm a 2* and get a 3* cover for a hero I have fully covered, this isn't a waste? Just sell it for ISO and keep cycling?  I'm guessing the other rewards outweigh the 3 or so 3* covers I end up selling?
    If you get a 3-star cover for a character you have at 13 covers but haven't champed yet, sell it and don't shed a tear. You'll get to a point where you are wasting less and less covers. Better to put the plethora of 2-star covers you get to good use and keep that farm churning. 3-star covers are not that hard to come by and you'll get more.

That said, prioritize your 3-star champ order. Try to champ the best ones first:
    IM40, Strange, Luke Cage, Iron Fist, Kamala, Cap, Magneto, Cyclops, Thanos, Patch

The fewer covers of those you waste the better. If you have to throw away a few Ragnarok's and Mystique's because you don't have the ISO to champ them yet, no big loss because you don't use them anyway. You'll get to them eventually.

What you'll find is that your 2-star farm will generate lots of XP, getting you shield levels, and large chunks of ISO each time from going up a level. When I was in the 3-star tier I could champ two  3-stars a week with dedicated DDQ and PvE play (the largest sources of ISO). At that pace, I could leave covers in the 13-day queue and try to keep as few from going to waste as possible by champing the ones I had a lot of spare covers for in the queue.
  • Quebbster
    Quebbster Posts: 8,070 Chairperson of the Boards

Very solid advice here. Only thing I have to add is that hitting the seed teams in Lightning rounds is an excellent source of ISO and two-star covers, keeping the farm spinning.

Heck, with the ISO rewards from SHIELD levels I don't Think farming even leaves an ISO deficit anymore in the long run.

• DAZ0273
    DAZ0273 Posts: 9,569 Chairperson of the Boards
    The good news is that the 3* meta has only really changed a bit with Dr. Strange (an essential character to have for PvE) and Thanos (very strong, high health but has drawbacks) influencing things. So your roster will not be too far off being competetive in that level if you keep going despite the time elapsed.

The other new 3* are a real mixed bag - Hawkguy is decent and worth a roster spot, Star Lord is pretty meh, Elektra is just a poor version of 4* version, Gambit was nerfed to oblivion and I haven't yet found anything to really like about my champed 3* Angel - maybe others can give an alternative view. So I wouldn't worry too much about chasing the new shiny too much either.