Are we ever likely to have Ultron playable in-game?

maguirenumber6
maguirenumber6 Posts: 457 Mover and Shaker
Ultron Prime has existed in-game for a while now, as one of those rare characters that you can face off against but are unable to recruit. Do you think we will ever get the chance to claim him for our rosters, or will he forever be a NPC?

Furthermore, are his powers viable as they are currently, or would they have to be changed in terms of balance?

Lastly, if he were to be released, would he enter into the four or five star tier?

NB I realise there is a very old thread (https://forums.d3go.com/discussion/comment/478853#Comment_478853) about this, but I thought it was an interesting subject worthy of further discussion.

Comments

• Anon
    Anon Posts: 1,455 Chairperson of the Boards
    Gorgon was never released either. Not sure if he's an MPQ exclusive like Captain Peggy though
  • Quebbster
    Quebbster Posts: 8,070 Chairperson of the Boards
    Anon said:
    Gorgon was never released either. Not sure if he's an MPQ exclusive like Captain Peggy though
    Gorgon is a legitimate Marvel character: http://marvel.wikia.com/wiki/Tomi_Shishido_(Earth-616)
    He was a big part of the Enemy of the State comic run too...

• zodiac339
    zodiac339 Posts: 1,948 Chairperson of the Boards
    Damage on Ultron red would have to increase from the weak AOE he currently uses. The special tile cloning already has a limit on tile strength, so that’s fine. It just needs to produce noticably better clone tiles with each rank.

Of the two story-only characters, Gorgon seems better out of the box. Much better actually. Debilitating Slash and Awaken the Hand are both excellent powers, and I’d really like to see the character become actually playable.
  • maguirenumber6
    @zodiac339 It’s interesting that, of the two, Gorgon seems to need less work in order to be a viable character. Which tiers would you put them in? I’d say 3* for Gorgon and, after balancing, 5* for Ultron because, well, it’s Ultron.
  • zodiac339
    zodiac339 Posts: 1,948 Chairperson of the Boards
    @maguirenumber6 They’re listed as 3* (Gorgon) and 4* (Ultron) in game, and it’s probably fine just like that. Ultron would make an interesting partner to Nico in the 4* tier just for his blue passive, plus adds Unstunnable to the 4* tier. His black active could possibly be tweaked to toss out special tiles, but there’s other characters who have powers where a large part of it is partner-dependent (Drax’s strike getting stronger with friendly countdowns and doing damage when CDs resolve, yet he makes none himself), so it’s not a real issue. Actually, a special tile threshold for black could be cool. “If X number of friendly special tiles, effect resolves on cast” or something along those lines. If I remember right, it normally throws out CDs that stun and destroy enemy AP, so having the effect happen immediately based on a condition would be pretty good. His Clash would be awful though with no way to make his own special tiles.
  • maguirenumber6
    edited March 2018
    @zodiac339 It sounds like Ultron would need a bit of tweaking, but apart from that I see no reason why they shouldn't both be playable characters. All the artwork and animations are ready to go too. This game needs more villains :smile:@Brigby
  • gentgeen
    gentgeen Posts: 99 Match Maker
    I like the NPCs .... I would love to see more.  Right now (I think) there is only Ultron and Gorgon.   (I guess you could also include Galcatus and Kaecilius  ..but those are both "BOSS" level guys as of now)

Trade out some of the Dark Reign people in existing PVE, or give the developers a little more to work with when they create new PVE.  (think Panther event, that was pitiful)   

I agree that the game could use some more playable villains (Sabretooth & Hellfire club members come to mind) but there are also so many "minor villains" in the Marvel universe that would fit the NPC "bigger than a goon, smaller than a boss" category but also fall outside of "popular enough that many people would rather play":  Rhino, Lizard, Electro, Mojo, Modok, Whiplash, Avalanche, Blob...etc   #KeepUltronNPC  :-D

• DAZ0273
    DAZ0273 Posts: 9,569 Chairperson of the Boards
    gentgeen said:
    I like the NPCs .... I would love to see more.  Right now (I think) there is only Ultron and Gorgon.   (I guess you could also include Galcatus and Kaecilius  ..but those are both "BOSS" level guys as of now)

Trade out some of the Dark Reign people in existing PVE, or give the developers a little more to work with when they create new PVE.  (think Panther event, that was pitiful)   

I agree that the game could use some more playable villains (Sabretooth & Hellfire club members come to mind) but there are also so many "minor villains" in the Marvel universe that would fit the NPC "bigger than a goon, smaller than a boss" category but also fall outside of "popular enough that many people would rather play":  Rhino, Lizard, Electro, Mojo, Modok, Whiplash, Avalanche, Blob...etc   #KeepUltronNPC  :-D

We also have Apocalypse in the boss section.

I always thought The Wrecking Crew would work as a mini boss - Wrecker would be the character you fight and the other 3 members would act in a similar capacity to the Horsemen of Apocalypse as special tiles on the board which do different things.