Brainstorming on Enjoyable Objectives

Options
2»

Comments

• Mburn7
    Mburn7 Posts: 3,427 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    I agree with @tfg76 that I don't like having different objectives for different tiers.  Yes they can be much harder with lesser collections, but they aren't THAT hard.  Except for some of the more annoying ones (take X or less damage, win with X or less health, win in X turns) which even the top players have issues with, most objectives are perfectly doable with nothing but commons and uncommons (as has been proven pretty definitively by a few people).

That being said I agree completely that we need better objectives, or at least a greater diversity of them (see my aboce post).  I'd prefer to focus on one set of great and fun objectives than worry about how to make them easier or harder for different tiers. 
  • Mainloop25
    Mainloop25 Posts: 1,936 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Or a whole now class system not based on color mastery at all  
  • babar3355
    babar3355 Posts: 1,128 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Or a whole now class system not based on color mastery at all  
    Well you know I am down with that.  But if we can't get some type of Elo or similar system up and running quickly, let's at least add some new mastery tiers.
  • James13
    James13 Posts: 665 Critical Contributor
    Options
    I was a fan of some of the classic ones like "Play X cards with delirium" and had sort of assumed that we would get that asking us to play cards with the new mechanics in RtO.

Alternatively: explore X times, find X treasures, Use raid effects X times, etc.

Without stretching the theme too much it could simply be cast X pirates/merfolk/dinos/etc

If you want to get even more specific and shutdown "token card" inclusions more (cast for objectives then replaced or ignored), it can even call for inflicting X damage from specific typed sources or such.

Generally speaking, i think it's appropriate for an event to try to promote it's own "story" that way by pushing the use of certain thematic set cards.  SOI/EM did.  The KLD/AER block did.  Amonkhet did as well, though to a lesser extent.  It fell off a lot with HOU (I don't think anything there called for set mechanics to be played, but I could be wrong).