Leveling 5*s. When & How High?

Options
OneLungDave
OneLungDave Posts: 72 Match Maker
edited February 2018 in Roster and Level Help
I think I'm ready to start levelling 5*s - I'm actually probably REALLY late to this particular party - but I'm still not sure. 

I have 44 champed 4*s with the highest at level 290, 6 more either fully covered or missing one cover, and the rest rostered. I have all the 5*s rostered, but none with more than seven covers, and none with any iso in them. I know they're much stronger (both match damage and certain powers) but I'm weird and like symmetry in my life. So I haven't leveled any of them. I also have 2 million+iso, and a healthy horde of LTs and CP. 

I'm wondering what'd level I can take the important 5*s to not kill my QOL, but start playing with them more regularly. If that's possible. 

Any and all chatter is grateful. 
Tagged:

Comments

• Quebbster
    Quebbster Posts: 8,070 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options

How big is your hoard?

It is not advisable to level up a seven cover fivestar, so you really should aim for a nice hoard, then bust it when the Latest Legends setup is favorable. Of the fivestars available now, Thor is good, Archangel is very niche, and the jury is still out on Ghost Rider. It is probably good to wait at least until Archangel leaves the token pool to bust the hoard - you may get a decent Thor but won't be able to give him many champion levels as he is leaving the token pool in about a month's time.

Of course, it also depends on what the future fivestars look like too. You may need to wait a while for the next Gambit, sadly.

• OneLungDave
    Options
    My hoard has 75 LTs and 2500 CP. 

I guess my question is more focused on leveling or soft capping the 5*s. I'm not looking to champ any of them. I'm wondering if leveling them to say 275 or so is worth it - just for normal gameplay and increased roster usage. 
  • Quebbster
    Quebbster Posts: 8,070 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    My hoard has 75 LTs and 2500 CP. 

I guess my question is more focused on leveling or soft capping the 5*s. I'm not looking to champ any of them. I'm wondering if leveling them to say 275 or so is worth it - just for normal gameplay and increased roster usage. 

Doesn't really change the answer - most fivestars need covers to be effective these Days. It seems to be possible to level up a fivestar to level 350 without noticeable effect on your PvP MMR, but I am unsure if you can do it with multiple fivestars or if it just works once. As long as their base level doesn't exceed the level of your boosted fourstars you will probably be fine though, but the MMR jungle can be tricky to navigate...

175 pulls is pretty decent though, it means you are well over halfway to 300...

• Straycat
    Straycat Posts: 963 Critical Contributor
    Options
    Also depends on which characters and which covers. 0/5/0 Jean Grey can be fun and somewhat helpful with some iso invested, but a 5/0/0 Jean maybe not. Of course since none are above 7 covers they probably aren't much help leveled up.
    If you have a couple covers in Thor green I'd maybe level him up since he needs more health and could be a decent support. But in general leveling up to 275 would probably not make a noticeable difference.
  • carrion_pigeons
    carrion_pigeons Posts: 942 Critical Contributor
    Options
    What about if you have something like a 2/2/0 Thanos? (Asking for a friend)

In general, is there a level you can bring undercovered 5*s to that will make them a bit less awful in PvE while not impacting your MMR?
  • OneLungDave
    Options
    In general, is there a level you can bring undercovered 5*s to that will make them a bit less awful in PvE while not impacting your MMR?
    That's the crux of what I was trying to get at.

My Th5nos is 3/1/3. I'd like to use him more in PvE, but not rely on him in PvP. If that's possible. 
  • Straycat
    Straycat Posts: 963 Critical Contributor
    Options
    Its tough with the 3*/5* combos, I am not sure how much better Th5nos would be over a high champ 3* Thanos. Even at full covers they don't match up until lvl 300 or something.
  • Dormammu
    Dormammu Posts: 3,531 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Really, an under-covered 5-star isn't going to be much help to you in PvE when you have 44 champed 4-stars who are going to do the work for you much faster and easier. Let your 5-stars sit and wait until you're ready to make the jump.